Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

*ist DL - Won't take pix in low light

Hi, everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum!! I need your help. I'm supposed to take pictures of the renewal of the wedding vows of my in-laws (on the beach at sunset). My *ist DL does an awesome job of outdoor photos in daylight, but at dusk time and beyond, it "poops out."

I was thinking that it might be the light meter or the focus. It makes a horrible buzzing sound and the flash strobes. Even at my kid's birthday party, I had to resort to my Kodak Easyshare for the cake pix because my Pentax wouldn't cooperate.

Please, please, please give me your suggestions.

Thanks in Advance,

Stormdore

06-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

First of all, Pentax is well known for poor low light autofocus. Second, you did not mention what lens are you using. It if is the kit lens or anything that has f/5.6, try another lens that's f/2.8 or maybe a prime 50mm with f/1.4 or f/1.7. Those lenses will allow more light and AF might work better. Next thing would be to get an external flash with AF assist lamp or build a cheap LED assist light yourself.

The strobe effect with built-in flash is not very useful. I have istDL and that thing never worked for me.
06-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Is the buzzing sound the AF motor? Does the flash strobe rapidly like for AF assist? Do you ever get the green focus lock? Can you take pics in AF-C or MF mode?
06-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks so much for the speedy replies!! . I'm an ametuer photographer, so please bear with me if I forget things or ask a lot of questions.

I have the lense that came with the camera

I'm not sure if the buzzing is the AF motor - it certainly can be. The flash strobes very quickly at the same time as the buzzing, so I guess it could be AF assist (though it's never assisted with anything besides annoying my subjects!)

I've never noticed if I get the green focus lock. I get to shaken up by the camera not working. I'll have to "practice" this evening.

I've never thought to move to MF mode - duh! That seems like such a simple answer. I'll have to try that one too.

What is AF-C?

I will certainly check into prices of the other lenses, as well as the flash. I don't have an external flash at this point, so I might try that. Any suggestions on ones that won't break my budget?

Thanks again!

TErri

06-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Sorry I wasn't more clear. Here's what I think is happening:

The camera is trying unsuccessfully to focus in a low-light situation. It flashes the strobe a few times quickly to help (but that's obviously not working). So it gives up and doesn't let you take the picture.

This is assuming you're in AF-S mode (single AF). AF-S is 'focus priority,' meaning the camera will not take a picture unless the image is focused. One solution would be to switch to AF-C (continuous AF), which is 'release priority,' meaning that when you press the shutter release, the picture will be taken, regardless of focus. You can also try switching to MF and manually focusing.

The switch for AF/MF is on the front of your camera near the lens mount. I assume you choose AF-S or AF-C in the menus somewhere.

Edit: You can choose AF-C in the Record Mode Menu, AF Mode. But MF would probably be better.
06-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

AF-C mode is accessible thru menu in istDL. I wouldn't expect it to work well in your case. I had my camera AF hunting for what felt like infinity in some low light situations. I guess a small flashlight won't break your budget but you might need to get a tripod or a helper for your next assignment.

Some of the older flashes had AF assist lamp that might help you in low light. Though with your camera they have to be used in manual mode (no P-TTL) so it means that you will have to set the shutter and then read the aperture value from the flash. I have two old flashes and they work just fine.
06-04-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's Working

I knew I would find the help I needed here ! I practiced last night and it was definitely the AF. When I had it on MF, I was able to take picutres just fine.

So - this leaded me to a couple more questions, but I will ask them on a separate thread.

Thanks again for your help!

Terri

06-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormdore Quote
Hi, everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum!! I need your help. I'm supposed to take pictures of the renewal of the wedding vows of my in-laws (on the beach at sunset). My *ist DL does an awesome job of outdoor photos in daylight, but at dusk time and beyond, it "poops out."

I was thinking that it might be the light meter or the focus. It makes a horrible buzzing sound and the flash strobes. Even at my kid's birthday party, I had to resort to my Kodak Easyshare for the cake pix because my Pentax wouldn't cooperate.

Please, please, please give me your suggestions.

Thanks in Advance,

Stormdore
I often use a Pentax DL with a DA40, DA70 or FA50 prime lens as my light-weight "low light shooter" at weddings. My K10D keeps a zoom lens on all the time.

Anyway, the problem you're encountering is the lame auto focus assist light feature. If you want to use the DL in low light you need to disable AF assist and/or use an external flash rather than the built-in flash. You also need to use a fast prime lens or a constant aperture zoom lens with f/2.8 or better aperture. The 18-55mm "kit lens" is just too slow (high aperture number) to work as a good low-light lens.

There's nothing wrong with your DL. You just need to understand how low-light photography works ... it's a little trickier than you might expect.