Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Another k3 or k5IIs

So I'm thinking I would like to buy another body so I can leave my K3 full time on my Sigma 100-300F4. I don't like the idea of changing lenses out in the field in dusty conditions.

I really like the K3 but there is just something I miss about shooting sunsets with my old K5II. It must be the dynamic range difference between the two or something else that I just haven't put my finger on. I have shot some sunsets and sunrises with my K5II that are just stunning, one of which I go back to and look at often if I want to get lost in the beauty of one of my own photographs. Sadly I have not been able to have such luck with my K3.

I have seen folks mention that it is possible to narrow the DR gap in post processing, I wish I knew how. If someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial preferably one using Lightroom, I would be delighted. Otherwise, do you think I should just look for a k5IIs?

03-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot both k-3 and k-5IIs. I have the k-5IIs as my backup but if I had a choice it would be a second k-3. I find I get images just as good from the k-3 but with more detail.

The slight difference in button placement would be the deciding factor for me. I use back button focus and the difference in that button placement is annoying when changing cameras. It should be automatic and unfortunately it is not. That's the only quibble I have, but it is annoying enough to me to stick with only one model.
03-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I would get another K-3. That way you know the controls and don't have to wonder where menus are. Keep it simple.
03-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I was thinking that having 2 different set of controls would get confusing. Still, I regret selling my K5II now. It was a great camera

03-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I shoot both k-3 and k-5IIs. I have the k-5IIs as my backup but if I had a choice it would be a second k-3. I find I get images just as good from the k-3 but with more detail.

The slight difference in button placement would be the deciding factor for me. I use back button focus and the difference in that button placement is annoying when changing cameras. It should be automatic and unfortunately it is not. That's the only quibble I have, but it is annoying enough to me to stick with only one model.
It's like I wrote this!