Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
In the 40 plus years of photography I have never had to send in a camera for warranty work.
Lucky you. I had to send my K-3 in twice for mirror flapping. The first time they didn't know what was wrong, nor how to repair it. I've sent several Pentax lenses back for calibration under warranty (16-45mm, DA 18-135mm, DA*300). My new Sigma 17-50 is going back to Sigma, because it needs +5 AF Adjust on my K-3 and K20D.

Sometimes Pentax has requested that I send a body back with the lens. I will include the K20D when I send the 17-50 to Gentec International, but no rush, the lens carries a seven-year warranty because it was purchased in Canada.

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-18-2015 at 11:02 AM.
03-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I'm assuming that the Canadian dollar's value against the yen has dropped by a percentage similar to that against the US dollar.
Not quite. Current CDN $ to JPN yen is $1 to 94.77, it was as high as 106.5 on December 6th, but back down below the current rate on January 28th, and previously on October 21st. Here is a 1-yr chart. It's not just petro-currencies that have fallen against the U.S. dollar since July 2014, the Euro has dropped even further than the Canadian dollar.
03-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

My god that Canadian dollar is brutal.I was kind of skeptical of GPZ'z dollar conversion. It was actually a bit low by today's rate. One of my favourite sites advertises in American dollars. $749 American for a K-3. That's practically $1000 Canadian. It kind of puts a damper on your purchasing plans.
03-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GPZ Quote
Lozeau in Montreal is selling it for $880 CAD. This is $675 US at today's exchange rate. Not sure you'll find a new one for this price in the USA.
Pentax K-5 DSLR with smc DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR Lens - London Drugs

$799 BUT the ad does say "in store pickup". NOTE that London Drugs does not show up on Photoprice.ca (not sure why) but often has sales on that beat "the lowest price in Canada".

03-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah ... look at this (less than a minute ago):

1 Canadian dollar = 0.782914 U.S. dollars

Scary!

---------- Post added 03-18-15 at 02:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Pentax K-5 DSLR with smc DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR Lens - London Drugs

$799 BUT the ad does say "in store pickup". NOTE that London Drugs does not show up on Photoprice.ca (not sure why) but often has sales on that beat "the lowest price in Canada".
No such London Drugs nearby !

---------- Post added 03-18-15 at 02:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GPZ Quote
Lozeau in Montreal is selling it for $880 CAD. This is $675 US at today's exchange rate. Not sure you'll find a new one for this price in the USA.
going to have a look now ...
03-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Yeah ... look at this (less than a minute ago):

1 Canadian dollar = 0.782914 U.S. dollars
Plus you never actually get the current rate. Finance institutions like credit card companies and banks always grab a few points for the "service" of converting currency to Canadian dollars.
03-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #22
GPZ
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Plus you never actually get the current rate. Finance institutions like credit card companies and banks always grab a few points for the "service" of converting currency to Canadian dollars.
True. Around 2% extra.
03-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I've heard from many sources that a claim on a US warranty means you have to send the item back to the US. In contrast, an international warranty from Pentax should be honoured by any repair outlet authorized by Pentax.
I am in the U.S. and have been involved in two U.S. Pentax camera purchases in the last year. One of those cameras was sent for warranty service. Here are the bullet points (a few of which are in my earlier post above) for U.S. purchased cameras:
  • Ricoh USA will provide warranty service for Pentax cameras purchased in the U.S. from an authorized Pentax dealer. All that is required is proof of purchase.
  • It is not clear whether Ricoh USA will provide warranty service for cameras purchased outside the U.S.
  • Language on the Pentax USA Web site indicates that service is limited to cameras located within the U.S. territorial borders regardless of where they were purchased
  • Cameras sold in North America do not ship with a separate warranty card. The warranty statement is included in the user manual.
  • The warranty statement from the user manual indicates that Ricoh Japan will provide warranty service on all Pentax cameras, though it may take some time and there may be issues with customs. In addition, that warranty statement indicates that local distributors may opt to not honor the warranty for cameras purchased outside their market. It is within their discretion to deny service.
  • Ricoh Canada will honor the one year warranty for cameras purchased outside Canada, but may requires a validated international warranty card. In addition, they will only service cameras located within Canada.
  • Ricoh USA will provide a validated international warranty card for U.S. purchases on request
Usually, I would not recommend product registration, but in the case of Ricoh/Pentax cameras, I am thinking it would not be a bad idea. It may also not be a bad idea to simply call Pentax Canada if you have a question regarding warranty service on cameras purchased outside Canada.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-19-2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: grammar
03-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
$799 BUT the ad does say "in store pickup".
$799 CDN? That might be worth a quick trip across the border! I wonder if foreign buyers have to pay VAT?

Steve
03-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #25
GPZ
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
$799 CDN? That might be worth a quick trip across the border! I wonder if foreign buyers have to pay VAT?

Steve
Unfortunately yes. If you buy in BC, you'll pay 5% GST + 7% BC sales tax. But if you buy from the web and have it shipped to USA you won't have to pay Canadian taxes.
03-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #26
Site Supporter

I wonder if foreign buyers have to pay VAT?
Here we call it GST (Goods and Services Tax, or early on Gouge and Screw Tax), but it's the same thing as VAT. Unless you need to purchase the camera for a convention or exhibition in Canada, you can't claim a rebate for the GST you pay on it. However, if you come to Canada on a tour, you can get a rebate for the GST paid for accommodation and some other travel related costs. It's a government program, which is why it is so complicated. The good part is that Canadian GST is only 5%, compared to more than 20% in most of Europe.
03-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #27

Hi I bought my K3 yesterday, in one of the vancouver's stores for 849 (918 after tax) the price i could find even on the internet. Plus the guys were really friendly and helpful since they shoot pentax as well. It was gastownphoto and they even called me when they received the shipment and put one aside for me.
03-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Steve
In the past foreign visitors could apply to have the sales tax reimbursed from the provincial and federal governments. The turn-around time was on the order of several weeks at best. I don't know whether that is still available.
03-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Then of course there's eBay.ca, which includes Prodigital2000, and Amazon.ca, which has pricing from easyship123. Both Prodigital2000 and easyship123 are approved Pentax (and Tamron) dealers. I believe they are online entities of Carmen's Foto, a respectable brick and mortar dealer. Be sure to read their return policies though.
I believe Prodigital2000 and easyship123 are one and the same. Once upon a time they were both on eBay. Back then, I communicated with Prodigital2000 to ask about them having their prices in US dollars ( which means you get nicked by Paypal's lousy exchange rates ), and they said that if I wanted prices in CAD, I could use their easyship123 eBay store instead. Of course, the CAD prices on easyship123 were not a direct conversion of the US $ prices on Prodigital2000, so you got dinged either way.

Over the years, I've bought 2 lenses from Prodigital2000 - both transactions went fine. I had to take the Tamron lens in for warranty service not long ago, and the Tamron service center accepted my eBay invoice ( which said Carman's Foto on it ).

I haven't done a lot of comparisons on camera bodies, but for lenses, the prices from Prodigital2000 are almost always competitive with those from US dealers, at least when you look at the auctions. Some of the "buy it now" prices are less competitive.

Amazon.ca sometimes has better prices than Amazon.com when you factor in the exchange. Currently, Amazon.ca has the best price on the 55-300 HD WR ( $429.99 ).
04-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bought my k3 at Henrys, it was on a decent sale at christmas time. And if I have warranty issues, I can bring it back to the store. I would say it was quite comparable in price at the time to US prices.