Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Why do you upgrade your camera?
My actual camera is limited OR my camera broke 6656.41%
Future's technology will offer something that I need today 3429.06%
I like to follow the fashion and tendences 43.42%
I collect cameras 1512.82%
None of the above (please explain) 1714.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hm.... part of the fun in photography is trying out different cameras.

I would like to shoot with different cameras, try them out, see why people likes them, etc. In this case I mostly refer to film cameras - I still have a list of cameras that I wish to own and try them out.

For new digital cameras.... I think it is more of sensor size, I didn't 'upgrade' to K3 as I think it is not much a upgrade, as I already set my next camera purchase will be full-frame.

It's OK, if some people like to get on the newest and latest no matter, I think that is part of the fun too!

03-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

This poll is a pretty good case for planned obsolescence..
03-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As a general rule I don't buy new cameras or upgrade existing cameras..

Other than crazy things such as the Q close-out deals (I bought 7 of those) I buy old cameras. I run about 10:1 in number of cameras I own versus the cost of a new camera. I bought the K10D on end-of-life close-out and the K-01 on pre-order - the only camera I've actually bought as a new camera. I got a K-3 as a gift December, 2013 so count that however you want. I have about 15 cameras, all-in.

Don't ask about lenses. At one time I had 65.
03-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess we try to buy ourselves out of limitations. When we start out in photography the biggest limitation in our images is ourselves. We lack the art and craft at first but develop it over time. Our gear should follow our abilities.

I upgraded from a K-30 to a K-3 because I wanted to extract more detail from my subjects in the images. The K-30 has a weak AA filter whereas the K-3 has none at all. Combining the lack of a AA filter and the higher resolution sensor in the K-3 gives what I feel are crisper images. When I load the images from my K-3 onto my computer I see a picture on my screen that resembles what I saw in my mind's eye. If the picture is "off" then I feel like the more advanced sensor in the K-3 creates data that is easier to massage into what I need it to be.

03-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian

My wife replaced her K10D for a K5 in order to have better low light focusing and more importantly after dropping it in Havana the autofocus did not work at all. The K10D was her first dlsr. I had used Nikons but did not own them. I got a K-r as the choice was that or a K5 and did not want to spend the money on a Pentax not knowing at the time how much I would use my Pentax film cameras at the same time. This December I got the K5iis so that I would have a better camera than my wife does In reality I bought it because the price was so low (ended up the K5iis and the K-r cost me less than a K5 did at the time) I wanted the dual control wheels and the advantaage of our two cameras using the same batteries and having the same controls because often only one of us has a camera and the other wants to do take a couple of shots or I might be needing to use two cameras for an event. If she had not dropped her K10D we might both still have our original dlsr. I have two major photo holidays planned this year and next hence it was a timely purchase as well.

As long as the K5/K5iis keep working I do not see us replacing them. By the time to replace we will be entering 70 years old and might be more interested in a smaller camera. So far my wife skipped the K20D, K7 and now the K5ii and K3 as far as upgrading whenever a new model comes out.

The only reason we now have to buy a new camera is for one that is different from what we have now. I cannot think of a single feature that has come out in a camera since the K5 series that I need or perhaps even want nor do I currently concieve of a feature that could be added that I need.
03-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Currently, as far as Pentax DSLR's are concerned I have three. A K10D, A Km and a K-5. I only see myself getting another....if one of these bodies breaks down.

Both during my film and digital days, I've usually always had either two or three camera bodies when I go to an photo event or out on a photo shoot for the day.
That's the way I roll !

Although, I might eventually get a Pentax full frame, particularly since Pentax indicated that my Pentax ASP-C lenses will work on this body.
03-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #22
Imp
Pentaxian

I guess it would be features... I have a K-30, and If I upgrade it would probably be for better AF, mic port, flippy screen, more control.

But I chose none of the above because I've only owned the K-30, and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon

03-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Because I can! .... once I get that nice job after college haha
03-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #24
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I don't think I will upgrade this year or in 2016. I have plenty of camera's all running on the stunning 16 megapixelsensor that can deliver good images for years to come.
03-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

My last camera was a point-and-shoot and I wanted a DSLR. Before that, my previous camera died.
03-18-2015, 07:48 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax1000 Quote
Interesting answer. Doesn't actual photographs look enough hi-res for you?

My vote goes for "my camera is limited or broke".
The jump from 14 to 16 megapixels was minor, the real difference to me was dynamic range ...
The K7 images often have a "harsh" feel to them (for lack of a better word) , K5 images feels "richer". Not scientific I know
03-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
hm.... part of the fun in photography is trying out different cameras.
This.

However, new cameras have gotten so complicated that, even if cost isn't an issue, I have to devote a fair bit of time and effort to familiarization before I can use them effectively. I ran into this problem with my K-5 II recently. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the interface, but I became frustrated when it kept doing things I didn't expect. I just haven't spent enough time with it.

On the other hand, my roughly 30+ year old Sears KS-2 (AKA Ricoh XR7) is working great with a brand new Samyang 35mm lens and a supply of Kodak Ektar 100. I find it very pleasing to shoot with.
03-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I've upgraded from K-30 to K-3
because of more drive modes (like mirror lock-up)
because of having manual control over the on-board flash
because of having two SD slots
because of having an LCD to show stuff and having more battery power.
and the most important was that shutter count was reaching 30K and I thought it will be harder to sell it if it goes much further.
03-18-2015, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #29
Forum Member

I always seem to be able to justify getting a new camera because of some new and better feature that it might have. This is despite the fact that my existing camera was good enough for my skill level at the time. Since May 2009 I have purchased a Pentax Km (since sold), K-7 and a K-5 IIs. In addition I have a Fujifilm water proof camera, three Panasonic LUMIX's and a Sony RX100 III. If the K3 had a tilting LCD I would have one of those by now.

I voted "because I want to upgrade" but in reality I just love buying new gear!
03-18-2015, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For DSLRs:

K10D I was getting tired of film (too much work) and wanted to try digital.

K20D I wanted the higher resolution and to use my K10D for IR.

K5 I wanted the increased DR.

K3 I wanted the increased resolution. I have noticed the decrease in DR, but the increase in resolution helps to offset some of that dissapointment. I need to stop carrying my K5 and K3 at the same time.