Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Why do you upgrade your camera?
My actual camera is limited OR my camera broke 6656.41%
Future's technology will offer something that I need today 3429.06%
I like to follow the fashion and tendences 43.42%
I collect cameras 1512.82%
None of the above (please explain) 1714.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I buy a new camera when it has something new to bring to the table - to either improve my output (better AF, dynamic range, high ISO performance, resolution, burst rate, etc) or to increase the pleasure I derive from photography (Q series, K-01, K-S1).

03-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K100 --> K20 (more MPs) --> K5 (high-ISO) --> Canon.

Kind of reached the limit with the poor K5/Sigma 150-500 autofocus performance at airshows.

Started moving toward Canon February last year with a used 40D and new Tamron 150-600 (lens unavailable for Pentax). I continued to collect more Canon equipment including a new 17mm TS (no equivalent in Pentax?), a new 70D with a touch-screen rotating LCD (which I've wanted for the past two body purchases), an ancient used full-frame 5D to make the 17mm like another lens for 1/4 its price (formerly N/A in Pentax and now "pending"), a new plastic fantastic 50 and refurbed PF rectilinear 10-18, used Tokina 10-17 FE (same optics as the Pentax), a bulky used 15-85 that almost really is the elusive "walk around", and somewhere in there a new 28 that is normal on the 70D and respectably wide on the 5D. And my last piece of the puzzle was a used 70-200 (f4 version because the f2.8 version was twice as heavy and almost 2X$). Darn, I forgot the used 100L macro in there.

So far, all is well.

I could have come out a little better financially if the FF announcement had not killed lens prices (I guess is the reason).

Not sure how that fits in the poll.

Oh, if the FF 6D goes on a combo sale with the big printer for $1249 again, I may do it. It never ends...

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-18-2015 at 08:58 PM.
03-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When film became hard to send off for developing I sold my K1000... (That was stupid) and then Hubby's fixed lens Olympus digital died and I wasn't into using hubby's Kodak Easy Share, so I went for the K3. I have a few vintage cameras but I just recently bought the Q7 to use around friends that run from as they put it, "the real camera aka the K3". Beats me why they don't run from the hundreds of cellphone pics everyone takes. So the K3 was purchased because of lack of Pentax camera and used to death digital Olympus. The yellow Q7 because everyone just thinks it's custsie and they are at ease with it.
03-18-2015, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

I am not ashamed to say it. I bought my last new camera, a K-S1 three weeks ago, because I like buying stuff. I was feeling a bit fed up, compared the joy I would get out of the ks1 body against the joy of, for example, an upgrade for my PC or a few books, then blew some cash on the camera.

I liked the feeling of spoiling myself, I find that the K-S1 reinvigorated my interest in photography a bit, and I much prefer the results compared with my K-5. Mea culpa.

03-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #35
Veteran Member

My last camera upgrade was to 35mm film so I could shoot B&W.
03-19-2015, 01:01 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I recently bought a new K3 to replace my K200D. I was very tired of the battery problems, inaccurate AF and inaccurate metering of the K200D, though apart from that it's a wonderful camera with superb IQ at lower ISOs.

I think a new DSLR after five years is reasonable if there is something particular about the old one which is limiting it's usefulness. The K3 has fixed all three of those problems & it's hard to imagine why I might eventually upgrade from the K3 in the future, assuming it keeps working well.

Certainly gimmicks like wifi (which can be added later in the memory card) and weird filters are not worth upgrading for. That might work for the CaNikon beginner level crowd who will never progress from the kit lens but it won't work on someone with sense and who is more focused on the photography than the posession of a new toy.
03-19-2015, 05:55 AM   #37

Original Poster
Interesting responses all of them.

But I noticed something:

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Old ones because I collect them
New ones because I believe they are going to give me better results.

I think I just have a problem.
What kind of "better results" are you hoping to get? Are you saying that 1910's cameras don't give good results? Do you mean that the results depend on the camera rather than the photographer? Please, explain.
03-19-2015, 06:04 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A major jump in sensor is the biggest draw I think. The jump from K10 to K5 was big.
The K3 brought some great features as well, but I haven't made the jump from the K5 yet.

03-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went from a Canon a510 (Point and Shoot) to a Pentax k100d as I wanted more control over settings and a camera that didn't take 2 seconds to take a picture after the shutter was tripped. This was a huge jump in image quality.

I went from the k100d to the k5iis because the timing was right. After almost 8 years my k100d was functional but having issues (stuck AF lever, buttons not always responsive, broken usb port, and more). I wasn't confident my k100d would last until the k-3 was affordable to me, the k-3 didn't offer anything that made me go gaga compared to the k5iis, and I was set on new over used figuring it would also last me several years, so I went for the k5iis shortly after it was discontinued.

It was a very welcome jump in customization and extra functions that make taking pictures more pleasurable (lit top LCD, working AF, 2-wheels, true mirror lock up, awesome battery, and so much more). This was definitely not an image quality inspired upgrade- the most noticeable jump was a couple stops worth of usable iso, I'd almost never been let down by my k100d's 6mp, and most of my shots that I care about use supplemental/artificial lighting and can manage with lower dynamic range. However, I have started doing more landscape type stuff and the extra DR is becoming more and more welcome. Assuming it doesn't fail on me, it will be enough camera for me for several years.
03-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I went from Minolta X700 to Pentax K10D to try out digital. Went from the K10D to K5 for better low light performance, AF assist and option to fine tune focus.
03-20-2015, 06:21 AM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfworx Quote
The jump from 14 to 16 megapixels was minor, the real difference to me was dynamic range ...
The K7 images often have a "harsh" feel to them (for lack of a better word) , K5 images feels "richer". Not scientific I know
Given your answer, then the next thought comes to my mind: if you want great dynamic range, why you changed from film to digital photography? That is actually a downgrade rather than an upgrade. If you are in the need of large dynamic range, then digital sensors are told to have less dynamic range. Just guessing, isn't this a bit of a contradiction?
03-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Main reasons for my upgrades:

K-7 to K-5: improved high-ISO performance.

K-5 to K-5ii : consistent and more-assured AF; low-light (-3 EV) AF capability.

The K-5ii also introduced several other user features, which I appreciate.

So, my upgrades have been driven mainly by Option 1: actual camera is limited.

- Craig
03-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #43
Forum Member

That's what bothered me about the K3, though i think improved autofocus and increased resolution would swing in its favour
03-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted "None of the above" !

When I get a new camera it is because the present one is near death !

My K5 is now reaching close to 90,000 clicks .... whether it is "near death" remains to be seen but I suppose it would be time to get a new one.
I'll likely keep the K5 until it flunks.

JP
03-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I picked "My actual camera is limited OR my camera broke" plus "Future's technology will offer something that I need today". My body purchases over the last 5 years:

Canon S95: My DSLR was too big to bring on my daily work commute, so I got a carry-everywhere camera.
Pentax K5: Better technology than my prior DSLR. Low noise is important for astrophotography and other low light photos.
Ricoh GR: The S95 is limited for street photography. The GR has a near perfect interface for street.