Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Why do you upgrade your camera?
My actual camera is limited OR my camera broke 6656.41%
Future's technology will offer something that I need today 3429.06%
I like to follow the fashion and tendences 43.42%
I collect cameras 1512.82%
None of the above (please explain) 1714.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
K100 --> K20 (more MPs) --> K5 (high-ISO) --> Canon.

Kind of reached the limit with the poor K5/Sigma 150-500 autofocus performance at airshows.

Started moving toward Canon February last year with a used 40D and new Tamron 150-600 (lens unavailable for Pentax). I continued to collect more Canon equipment including a new 17mm TS (no equivalent in Pentax?), a new 70D with a touch-screen rotating LCD (which I've wanted for the past two body purchases), an ancient used full-frame 5D to make the 17mm like another lens for 1/4 its price (formerly N/A in Pentax and now "pending"), a new plastic fantastic 50 and refurbed PF rectilinear 10-18, used Tokina 10-17 FE (same optics as the Pentax), a bulky used 15-85 that almost really is the elusive "walk around", and somewhere in there a new 28 that is normal on the 70D and respectably wide on the 5D. And my last piece of the puzzle was a used 70-200 (f4 version because the f2.8 version was twice as heavy and almost 2X$). Darn, I forgot the used 100L macro in there.

So far, all is well.

I could have come out a little better financially if the FF announcement had not killed lens prices (I guess is the reason).

Not sure how that fits in the poll.

Oh, if the FF 6D goes on a combo sale with the big printer for $1249 again, I may do it. It never ends...
Glad you're happy with Canon. Now that you don't use Pentax, have you joined the Canon forum yet ? Here's one I would recommend.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB0...,d.eXY&cad=rja

03-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought I was going to wait till my K5 died but with the movable screen and focus peaking on the K-S2 i have to admit I am tempeted because i can get better results from my old manual lenses.
03-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #48

I just replaced my K10 with a K5IIs, but not because the k10 was broken, but because it was never right. It took film cameras decades to hit there peak. Digital has only been around for a bit over 10 years. DSLR are just hitting maturity now, and won't fully mature for a few more years.
03-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #49

I usually skip every second new body (skipped K10D, K7 and K3) because I consider them beta versions of the fully developed version that will follow (have/had the *istDS, K20d and K5).
Actually, I think alternative #2 is put wrongly. Who "needed" colour film before it was invented? Autofocus? Digital sensors? Video mode on a DSLR? Microphone in a camera?
I use what is at hand at the moment (but honestly I dont care about video) and do the best I can of it. I have some nice pictures taken with a Program A film camera in the eighties, but I do appreciate digital. If Pentax comes out with a camera that can take 3D holograms and the scent of the actual flower, I will probably buy it even if I can't see any "need" for it at the moment.

Kjell

03-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #50

Are you aware that it's the photographer that make the image, and not so much the equipment. So I'll ask, do you really thing joining the Canon herd will make you a better photographer?

Nothing wrong with Canon, but if I wanted to move up from Pentax, I'd go Nikon. But all three brands will give any good photographer the tools to make beautiful photographs.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
K100 --> K20 (more MPs) --> K5 (high-ISO) --> Canon.

Kind of reached the limit with the poor K5/Sigma 150-500 autofocus performance at airshows.

Started moving toward Canon February last year with a used 40D and new Tamron 150-600 (lens unavailable for Pentax). I continued to collect more Canon equipment including a new 17mm TS (no equivalent in Pentax?), a new 70D with a touch-screen rotating LCD (which I've wanted for the past two body purchases), an ancient used full-frame 5D to make the 17mm like another lens for 1/4 its price (formerly N/A in Pentax and now "pending"), a new plastic fantastic 50 and refurbed PF rectilinear 10-18, used Tokina 10-17 FE (same optics as the Pentax), a bulky used 15-85 that almost really is the elusive "walk around", and somewhere in there a new 28 that is normal on the 70D and respectably wide on the 5D. And my last piece of the puzzle was a used 70-200 (f4 version because the f2.8 version was twice as heavy and almost 2X$). Darn, I forgot the used 100L macro in there.

So far, all is well.

I could have come out a little better financially if the FF announcement had not killed lens prices (I guess is the reason).

Not sure how that fits in the poll.

Oh, if the FF 6D goes on a combo sale with the big printer for $1249 again, I may do it. It never ends...
03-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #51

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax1000 Quote

The conversation continued for a bit longer, but the point is: WHY DO YOU BUY A NEW CAMERA?

Don't misunderstand me. What I am asking is for the reasons that make you to update your camera. As for today, good DSLRs already have everything that a photographer may need.

Unless you are limited by today's technology (i.e. you need more ISO, more shutter speed or whatever), if you can take the photographs that you need with today's technology, then I want to know why would you need to upgrade your camera in the next year/s.
I can't answer for any future purchases since I'm still getting to know my new K-50; however, I'll answer for past purchases (as many others have...and which have made good reading!):

My first "real" camera, the Canon AE-1 Program: Was a Christmas gift, actually, from my parents after I expressed an interest in photography and continuously complained about the 110 film camera taking crappy pictures (I actually expected the photo to look a bit like the image through the viewfinder). This was circa 1985.

Olympus Camedia D-550: My first digital camera, purchased around 2003 since I was going on a cruise and wanted to take a lot of pictures but not carry my AE-1 around. Also wanted more "instant gratification" of digital.

Pentax K-100D Super: Christmas gift in 2007. Wanted the combo of SLR and digital.

Olympus OM-1 (film): Ran across in 2008 at a yard sale; picked it up for $25. Wanted to play around with it and the two lenses it came with.

Canon PowerShot A2400: Purchased circa 2013. Ran across a great deal at Staples. The Camedia had a few broken bits, my husband sometimes wanted to take photos when I had the DSLR, and I wanted a pocket camera for when I didn't want to carry around the K-100D.

Pentax K-50: Had a number of features not on the K-100D. Found the K-100D limiting for low-light situations when I didn't want to use a flash. Wanted focus peaking and better autofocus.

As you can see, I'm hardly an "early adopter." My next purchases will be additional lenses for the K-50, and I expect to use this camera for quite a while. By the way, I still have all of the other cameras.
03-23-2015, 07:02 AM   #52
Pentaxian

My gear takes a beating. Around 4 to 5 years, I start considering a new camera body. After 4 years, my K10D started giving me card reading errors on occasion. It wasn't a card problem. I purchased a K5 later that year. I continued using both cameras for a few months. It was convenient having 2 bodies at times but the K10D just up and died one day, refusing to read or write to the card and giving a an error message. My K5 is currently going on five years so I am paying close attention to bargains. I will most likely get a K3. The thought of a Pentax FF is intriguing but size and weight is an issue with me (arthritis in my spine) and for my purposes, the crop factor is a big advantage.
04-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #53
Pentaxian

new tech mostly.

K5-K3 upgrade was the promise of improved, more accurate AF and higher resolution (16mp was getting limiting for 300dpi large prints )
K5-D600 "upgrade" was because full frame. but was a mistake
D600-D800 - upgrade was for better egronomics, better AF system. MP count is still stupid and overkill. no need 36mp. its just too much

04-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #54
Forum Member

I want to get back into a DSLR, which would be a step up from my current point shoot.
04-04-2015, 01:20 AM   #55
Pentaxian

When K3 was out I didn't want it and certainly was thinking the K5-II upgrade vs K5 was really useless.

But I had an issue at the time with autofocus. I do not use manual focus as I have difficulties to see the deph of field in the OVF and dislike using live view.

So for me, AF performance is important. With K5, I many time off focus image on portraiture. Using a FA50 even at f/2 was really difficult and my 50-135 had lot of issues. By doing lot of tries and reading I assessed and confirmed that the off center AF point of K3 are too big for comfortable thin deph of field shoots. This issue was really anoying to me as I didn't get what I wanted.

At the time the idea was that K3 sensor was much worse in high iso performance and there many that are convinced on it. The tests shown it. In reality by spending quite some time and downloading the raws I discovered the test where badly done. There were all using Jpeg and where all happy with the K5/K50/K30/K5-II blur filter at high iso to hide the issues. I discovered that with my standard workflow (DxO) I could get really great high isos shoots from K3, even at 3200/6400 isos.

So I decided to buy one.

The AF improvement was HUGE for me. Really fast, no more lenses hunting and imprecise like the FA50. No more longer issues in low light and the off center point are precise enough for framing portraiture easily and get the focus right.

A side effect is that the K3 is much, much sharper than K3, this is more than the 16 => 24MP because it also remove the low pass filter. I discovered that I could do more cropping at low isos than before, getting comfort. This mean I don't need as much long lenses that are heavy/big and also I can have a panorama just by cropping a normal shoot while before the limited resolution was starting to show.

Would I buy a new camera?

Depend what it does offer. Even more pixels, honestly I don't feel the need, I think there limits to the benefits of cropping. FF? The crop factor make me need bigger/heavier lenses, that's counter productive. What would be interresting is significantly better high iso performance (1EV or more) or much higher dynamic range (so HDR is not necessary anymore).

I could also buy a K3 that is the size/weight of K-S1 or smaller. I would really like a "limited" APSC body. Great finish, small/light.

A great EVF could be an option, but I would prefer an hybrid viewfinder as EVF don't look that natural/great.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-04-2015 at 01:32 AM.