Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Why do you upgrade your camera?
My actual camera is limited OR my camera broke 6656.41%
Future's technology will offer something that I need today 3429.06%
I like to follow the fashion and tendences 43.42%
I collect cameras 1512.82%
None of the above (please explain) 1714.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

Why do you buy a new camera?

Hi.

Today it happened something really weird. I has at the local photography dealer buying a lens hood, and when I went to pay, the vendor, who already knows me, tells me:

"Hey, I think that you need a new camera. Your DLSR is already 4 years old".

I answered: "No, I don't need, mine works well".

But he insisted: "But today cameras have a lot more of features and yours probably lacks some of them. Does your cam has WiFi, Bluetooth and blah blah blah?"

The conversation continued for a bit longer, but the point is: WHY DO YOU BUY A NEW CAMERA?

Don't misunderstand me. What I am asking is for the reasons that make you to update your camera. As for today, good DSLRs already have everything that a photographer may need.

Unless you are limited by today's technology (i.e. you need more ISO, more shutter speed or whatever), if you can take the photographs that you need with today's technology, then I want to know why would you need to upgrade your camera in the next year/s.

So please, answer the poll and let the other people in the forum to know the community motivations and need.

03-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax1000 Quote
Hi.

Today it happened something really weird. I has at the local photography dealer buying a lens hood, and when I went to pay, the vendor, who already knows me, tells me:

"Hey, I think that you need a new camera. Your DLSR is already 4 years old".

I answered: "No, I don't need, mine works well".

But he insisted: "But today cameras have a lot more of features and yours probably lacks some of them. Does your cam has WiFi, Bluetooth and blah blah blah?"

The conversation continued for a bit longer, but the point is: WHY DO YOU BUY A NEW CAMERA?

Don't misunderstand me. What I am asking is for the reasons that make you to update your camera. As for today, good DSLRs already have everything that a photographer may need.

Unless you are limited by today's technology (i.e. you need more ISO, more shutter speed or whatever), if you can take the photographs that you need with today's technology, then I want to know why would you need to upgrade your camera in the next year/s.

So please, answer the poll and let the other people in the forum to know the community motivations and need.
Two reasons,
The old ones shutter counts starting to look a lot like great lottery winnings
and
New sensors (depending on many factors) give better images ( thinking particularly of when I got a K5 after the K7 )
03-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfworx Quote
Two reasons,
The old ones shutter counts starting to look a lot like great lottery winnings
and
New sensors (depending on many factors) give better images ( thinking particularly of when I got a K5 after the K7 )
Interesting answer. Doesn't actual photographs look enough hi-res for you?

My vote goes for "my camera is limited or broke".
03-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Main reason to buy a new camera ? your previous one just died i guess.

Beside that ? maybe get a better feature like a bigger VF (i have a K-x and plan to get a k-5 for the VF and silent shutter), maybe a little bit better high Iso (it will be a 1/3 of a stop from k-x to k-5, which ain't much in fact).

Get glass instead. it doesn't loose value, it doesn't "die" in use, you can use it for decades.

03-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I started on the K200d which was a fantastic camera. I upgraded to the K20d because of the pentaprism viewfinder, higher ISO ability, and physical switches for things instead of having to menu dive. I upgraded the K20d to the K-5 for the faster autofocus, higher ISO ability and faster frame rate. I upgraded the K-5 pretty quickly to the K-3 for the lower light and accurate autofocus, consistent bounce flash exposure, and better metering. The responsiveness is a huge plus as well.

I would say that, most often, I upgraded because the camera could not keep up with what I needed it to do.
03-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a K-x because the bridge camera I had was too limiting. I bought the K-5 because the K-x was too limiting. I want a K-3 not because the K-5 is severely limiting, but I would like better AF and the D FAs will really make the K-3 shine. I have several shelves full of film cameras because I'm a collector...
03-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #7

I use 6th my Pentax (in almost 50 years
I bought it new, when you're used the went wrong.

03-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I buy another camera if I think I will enjoy using it.
03-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old ones because I collect them
New ones because I believe they are going to give me better results.

I think I just have a problem.
03-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm... Several reasons, really. The Optio I got because my previous pocket camera broke - and it's always nice to have a waterproof camera. The K-5 I bought because I found compact/bridge cameras too limiting. The K-3 I got, well, mainly because I found a very good deal. And it had some "nice to have" features, even if my K-5 in no way limited me.

And those film bodies came attached to lenses I have bought

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I think I just have a problem.
You wouldn't be the only one!
03-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
Closed Account

My K-50 serves me just fine, but I'm going to buy a K-3 at the end of the month. Reason = I like new toys, and I'm in a position (nice bonus from my employer this year) to do it. Plus I want to play with the ability to crop harder (shoot a lot of macro). So maybe a 10% legit reason on my part. I would also say that being a PC gamer/builder, I've always strayed away from the flagship on everything (GPU, CPU, high speed RAM, etc.) because of cost. I always had fun overclocking, eeking out as much performance from middle of the road hardware. I can't overclock a camera, and with the price having dropped so much, I figured why not try the top dog, and see if I dig it. Worst case, I sell it, and keep using my K-50.
03-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

None of the above... ADDICTION - is like crack but better man!!!
03-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I abuse my gear, so stuff breaks from time to time. I also like technical advances like better sensors, wifi, new features, etc but don't usually actually "need" them.
03-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Why would I buy a new camera when I can buy a new lens instead?
03-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Why would I buy a new camera when I can buy a new lens instead?
Bingo! (my cameras are relics, but they are all 100% working)