Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2015, 05:53 AM   #31
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Upgrade path to FF
Easy... hand in pocket, remove wallet, open wallet, remove contents of wallet, hand contents over counter, receive FF camera, then repeat, as you'll need at least two bodies.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-31-2015 at 06:03 AM.
03-31-2015, 02:15 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Hummm... just looking at online images (display size...) from A7r+Zeiss prime lenses ( Bokeh Dreams from 21mm to 135mm with Sony A7 & A7R ) . Can you do this with a K30, K50, K5 or K3 ?
Ummmmm...yes, with the exception of two or three of the shots on that page, I have many with similar DOF and subject isolation, though with better bokeh. Full equivalence, no...but then again, my 35mm film gear does not provide full equivalence with my 6x7 or 4x5 format stuff either.

Steve
03-31-2015, 03:29 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Hummm... just looking at online images (display size...) from A7r+Zeiss prime lenses ( Bokeh Dreams from 21mm to 135mm with Sony A7 & A7R ) . Can you do this with a K30, K50, K5 or K3 ?
The guy is doing a lenses showcase. Want to know how an APSC sensor would do? Just crop the APSC center. Keep the wonderfull lighting, keep the bokeh exactly at it is, you'll get the same because you'll have the same lense. You would get more magnification/detail, in fact from a 24MP APSC than from an FF that would require 54MP to show the same amount of details.

The issue you would not have the same framing, true, but then use the lense simply use one of the wonderfull lense presented and that render so beautifully but applying the 1.5 crop factor to the focal lense and you are done or just zoom with your feets a bit. You might be limited on APSC to the Samsung 28MP or to the K3 24MP and when you accept extremely shallow deph of field in high iso performance. True. But that's not really that's different.

What is truely impressive here is the photographer technique but don't buy the system because the guy is able to frame is picture nicely and capture the light gracefully. This would work the same on any DSLR.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 03-31-2015 at 03:38 PM.
04-02-2015, 06:43 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The lenses give their unique rendering. Someone posted a link to old manual lenses having a lot of aperture blades, I was amazed by the rendering. I'd not choose the A7 because I want to use lenses with auto-focus. We can collect old lenses, that's great. But from my point of view, it's a pity to use modern dslr with high performance autofocus with a manual lens. I'd prefer either to buy a a lense based on old lens optical formula with an AF update, or use a dedicated digital camera optimize for manual focus. Then I'd have for example a K-3 for use with modern AF lenses and an digital camera with a focus system designed to be very effective with old manual lenses, or would Ricoh be able have a manual lens mode software interface so that you can focus fast and accurately with manual lenses.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-02-2015 at 06:53 AM.
04-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #35
Site Supporter

It's not an upgrade, it's an evolution, you can keep your Pentax DFA and FA (if you have) gears, sell you APS-C gears and use the money to buy FF gears.
Pentax announced a camera with basically no new lenses months before it may becomes available. THANK YOU PENTAX. It is basically impossible to sell used DA lenses and so far there is no alternative available. Selling all DA glass and buying a FF Pentax why not look around and get something else? This marketing move is sooooooooo desperate and short sighted that Pentax may loose more customers than it may win. Currently some huge rebates are coming up on DA glass with still no new FF glass available.
04-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Pentax announced a camera with basically no new lenses months before it may becomes available. THANK YOU PENTAX. It is basically impossible to sell used DA lenses and so far there is no alternative available. Selling all DA glass and buying a FF Pentax why not look around and get something else? This marketing move is sooooooooo desperate and short sighted that Pentax may loose more customers than it may win. Currently some huge rebates are coming up on DA glass with still no new FF glass available.
I don't get your point really. There the DFA*70-200, DFA150-450 that some have already from pre production sample and soon to be available to everybody. The roadmap announce the logical inclusion of a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 28-105 kit lense.

In the mean time they have FA31, FA35, FA43, FA50, DFA50, FA77, DFA100 macro primes available now. All theses lenses are quite loved by current pentaxian and would work well on FF. If you don't like the Pentax lenses, there all the Samyang, the sigma and a few tamrons.

Anyway you can be sure they'll have 2-3 more lenses at least available arround the same time as the new camera, just reading for everybody to buy it for Christmas. It will ensure they have everything to start with a great system from day one.

Pentax strategy to announce the FF long is advence is particulary well played. It allow them the time to finalize it, will allow quite a few people to save money/prepare for FF and spend it when it is released instead of switching to Canikon in despairs. The target date is the end of year, just in time for Christmass where most money is made.

I'am sorry if you had some loses selling DA lenses or don't want to sell them at the price, but this is also mean many happy buyers to take the gear. Really, there isn't much concern to have. Even less from Pentax has they don't make money from used gear anyway.
04-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Not quite right on the FF glass options. there are currently two zoom options recently released and there are the:

31/1.8
35/2
43/1.9
50/1.4
77/1.8

I have to be honest it seems pretty reasonable line up to me. Add in all the legacy glass options and even more choice.

Selling your DA glass is only a necessity if you what to upgrade and can't afford having both systems at the same time. I get that and understand if that is your dilemma. If so, then I think you need to undertake a really in depth analysis of what your actual need is before you make a drastic change to your photographic gear. Personally, I see some advantage to the FF but not total advantage.
04-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #38
Site Supporter

use a dedicated digital camera optimize for manual focus.
You mean something with a full-silvered mirror and decent focus screen? (I.e. No AF)

Steve

04-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Not quite right on the FF glass options.
What he said, though the D FA 100/2.8 Macro and D FA 50/2.8 Macro are missing from the list.

At present, I would suggest that the "holes" are not that big. As I noted in a previous comment on this thread, on launch I would expect, in addition to the existing offerings:
  • D FA 28-70/2.8
  • D FA 50/1.4 (freshened)
  • D FA 28/2.8 (consumer-grade)
Of the above, only the zoom is on the current road map, but the primes should not present a huge challenge*. Such a selection would be adequate in conjunction with currently available FA and D FA glass. Back fill with a wider zoom along with 20mm and 24mm primes would come later.

Steve

* Truly...it is very difficult for folk on this site to accept that the designs for most primes were worked out 50+ years ago. With current manufacturing practice and the capacity for rapid prototyping, the time to bring a new prime lens to market is not as long as one might think. Just ask the good people at Samyang.
04-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* Truly...it is very difficult for folk on this site to accept that the designs for most primes were worked out 50+ years ago. With current manufacturing practice and the capacity for rapid prototyping, the time to bring a new prime lens to market is not as long as one might think. Just ask the good people at Samyang.
Totally agree. I am using 60 year old lenses with equal to or better effect than current 'modern' lenses. Optical designs are only being tinkered with through the inclusion of aspherical elements and new glass composition to improve performance on the edges of what is already very good performance. Improvements in lens coatings also represent minor adjustments that can be incorporated into a new lens very quickly.

I suspect we will see a small revamp of the limited series to improve things like CA - in fact they could be doing these alterations now in tandem with the prototype FF body.