Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2015, 03:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Will a Vintage focusing screen work on DSLR?

I have an old film Ricoh camera, and a Kx. I love the old split focusing screen. Would it fit on my Kx?

03-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I did some reading on this topic recently (I have some older film bodies lying around) and the general answer I came up with was yes, it could probably be made to work (cut down to size and shimmed), but you might lose some metering accuracy, particularly with spot metering.

But hopefully someone who's actually done it will chime in.
03-20-2015, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
Would it fit on my Kx?
If cut down to size, it could be made to fit. There are several (very old) posts on this site demonstrating how this is done. Be aware that a cut-down screen may still need to be shimmed to focus accurately on your camera. As noted you will lose spot meter accuracy.

Steve
03-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It's possible to buy focussing screens for some Pentax DSLRs but apparently not the KX.

03-20-2015, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

I put a review of the one I modded here

Pentax M-series cameras split prism focus screen reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
03-20-2015, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
It's possible to buy focussing screens for some Pentax DSLRs but apparently not the KX.
Focusing Screen: Pentax K-x

Steve

(what a difference a hyphen makes...)
03-20-2015, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(what a difference a hyphen makes...)
Thanks Steve. Actually I made the poor assumption that the models in the menu on the left were all the Pentax models supported, so the hyphen wasn't the limiting factor. Good news for the OP!
03-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks all. I'll keep looking into it. But if you have to cut them down, I probably won't be doing it. Since it would ruin the integrity of the old Ricoh. I may go for an after market someday.

03-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks all. I'll keep looking into it. But if you have to cut them down, I probably won't be doing it. Since it would ruin the integrity of the old Ricoh. I may go for an after market someday.

Buy a junk camera for the parts. People unload the things on eBay all the time.
03-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have an old film Ricoh camera, and a Kx. I love the old split focusing screen. Would it fit on my Kx?
I use one on my K10D, I removed the focusing screen from a spotmatic and cut it down to size. It works fine (although you need to compensate for metering inaccuracies)