Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It's all about getting brand recognition
I think you are exactly right. Thanks for the observations about the marketing in Japan. Very interesting to know since I cannot make a visit there..

03-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
What impressed me most about the K-S1 is the miniaturisation. [...]
This was not much of a topic here, unfortunatly (also in the Review). Even though one of the key design intends. In Canon-Land the tiny 100D/SL1 was a celebrated DSLR because of features and size. And the K-S1 is negatively assessed, even though better spec'ed.

What is interesting, like with the K-01, is, that the people who own it, are mostly happy with it.
03-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What impressed me most about the K-S1 is the miniaturisation. Given all the parts that have to be in a Pentax DSLR (i.e. SR and screwdrive motor), how did they make it so small? Where does the circuit board fit in? I haven't seen a K-S1 opened up, but the board must be tiny. It makes me wonder whether the mythical MX-shaped digital K-mount could be made on the K-S1 platform. It also makes me wonder how small, light and cheap a K-01 successor could be made.

But I should clarify, I've seen no evidence that the K-S1 is actually discontinued. It's only that you won't be able to order the "night sky" or "fabric" colour options after the end of March.
But "sweets" are still available? Maybe they are just switching gears, and "spring flowers" or "sushi" collections are in the works. (Come to think of it, "night" and "fabric" were mostly subdued colors - kind of fall or winter fashion-y). I stopped being surprised after they hit us with the blue K-01 long after it was discontinued.

I haven't seen a teardown of the K-S1, but I thought it must have a small K-01-style (P&S sized) circuit board under the mode dial until I saw a clear K-S2 with a board that went all the way across the back. Maybe they reduced the air gap between the S/R chassis and the circuit board. Except for the grip, the K-S1 generally trims every empty space from the K-01 "block", from left front corner to the step in the top rear.
03-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #19
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
But "sweets" are still available? Maybe they are just switching gears, and "spring flowers" or "sushi" collections are in the works. (Come to think of it, "night" and "fabric" were mostly subdued colors - kind of fall or winter fashion-y). I stopped being surprised after they hit us with the blue K-01 long after it was discontinued.
That sounds quite likely. Perhaps they intend to have seasonal collections like fashion brands. Actually, they are using the the word "collection" to refer to the colour options.

01-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #20
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Thank you!

Thank you for posting this! Searched and searched for a place where I could get a custom color K-50! Retailers really need to change their messages/websites/videos.
01-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #21
Banned

There was a French store selling the K-S1 for a short time for 199 euro, so that already happend.

I think the production run for the K-S1 is far lower then it was for K-01. In the end, finding 100.000 customers was possible for the brick while the K-S1 has falen way before that point.
01-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Except for the grip, the K-S1 generally trims every empty space from the K-01 "block", from left front corner to the step in the top rear.
Given that (as I have said before) the K-01 was really a one-off technology test platform for the K-30 / K-50 internals - with a crazy marketing plan and maybe some hope that a K-mount mirrorless would catch - I call the K-01, as repackaged with a mirror, prism and traditional shutter sequence in the mid-range dSLR a smashing (technology) success.

Likewise I suspect the technology inside the K-S1 will show up in mid-range dSLR's and perhaps other products for several years. Yet we will continue to call it a failure as we have from the PF Review, that had 'but not for us' in its title.*

* Granted, the LED's in the grip (which are covered when you hold the camera) was an astonishingly boneheaded fail. Having had this pointed out in final product focus-group testing, trying to market them as a new kind of countdown timer was lame.

01-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #23
Banned

Overhere the large online stores don't have the K-S1 in their programme anymore. Just some of the smaller stores do, maybe still old inventory not moving.
01-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #24

I will miss the colour options of the K-50.

But I have my Bright Orange with Brown Grip K-50, so there is that.

I just get so tired of "BLACK CAMERA, HUE-HUE." It's almost as annoying as "All the cars on the lot are Black, Silver, or White. Oh, and Titanium (Grey...)" I want a pro level camera that doesn't look like a uniform black brick of boring. Is that too much to ask?

A bit off topic there, so back to it; The K-S1 is just sorta... Eeeeegh. I looked at it, and didn't understand at all. No WR? What.