Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-50 and K-S1 custom colour orders to stop 3/31

I just received a regular newsletter from Ricoh Japan that contained a notice that they will stop talking colour orders for the K-50 and K-S1 at the end of March. This information has been reflected on some retailers' websites. So it looks like a step towards discontinuation of both cameras. I don' think anyone would be surprised about the K-50, which has had good run, but the K-S1 has only been on the market for about half a year.

03-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Maybe we'll see some $199 clearance sales for the K-S1 ? (I'd grab one at that price)
03-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Metal green with brown grip K-50 would have looked nice but I now have a white K-S2 . . .
03-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Likely the K-s1 can survive as black blue and white for several months.

03-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Metal green with brown grip K-50 would have looked nice
Dull green with brown for me...

Steve
03-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Likely the K-s1 can survive as black blue and white for several months.
It's a shame though, because some of the order colour models of the K-S1 looked really good. The ones that look most lurid on screen are actually more matt and subdued in reality. The one I'm particularly thinking of is the orange one and the "midnight black" model is good as well. That's my favourite, but I won't be buying one because I just bought a K-5 IIs.

I strikes me that Ricoh might be moving away from complete customisation of colours. The K-S1 and K-S2 both have a limited selection of curated colour options. I wonder whether future cameras will be available in any combination like the K-50 was. I sometimes see really weird colour combinations of K-x, Kr and K-50 cameras in second hand camera stores. The last one that caught my eye was a light green body with bright pink grip.
03-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I got a black/ standard K-50 because it was almost $100 dollars cheaper than the colored ones at B&H. I regret not getting the colored version more than I thought I would... I would have got a red one.

03-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
strikes me that Ricoh might be moving away from complete customisation of colours. The K-S1 and K-S2 both have a limited selection of curated colour options. I wonder whether future cameras will be available in any combination like the K-50 was. I sometimes see really weird colour combinations of K-x, Kr and K-50 cameras in second hand camera stores. The last one that caught my eye was a light green body with bright pink grip.
The K-50's customizable color-ordering system for 220 color combinations was an experiment that unfortunately was needlessly criticized, because the idea of using color in camera bodies actually has seen some traction with other makers. The sheer abundance of colors for the K-50 might have been a little over the top, but it was a good idea nonetheless. The fact that the K-50 has turned out, in my view, to be a very optimal Pentax body makes the initial reaction to the color thing unfortunate. It's a great camera. The K-S 2 has wi-fi using image sync now, but you could transfer images to your smart device with the K-50, too. It couldn't be remote operated like K-3 with FLU or K-S2 with Image Sync, but I think just getting the images out for social sharing is the more important of the two features. (I'll be trying K-S2 near a bird feeder, though, and see how that works out.) Surprisingly, K-S2 doesn't offer wireless flash support. K-50 does. The K-S2's sleeper feature, I think, is the wi-fi button becoming a shutter button when you want to turn the camera on yourself. And the 20mp sensor is starting to look good to me. But yes, the K-S2 color offerings are limited and curated and no longer customizable. Maybe the K-50's 220 colors might have been a bridge too far, but I regret that I didn't get one. I had a blue K-30 already, which is also pretty hip.
03-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I got a black/ standard K-50 because it was almost $100 dollars cheaper than the colored ones at B&H. I regret not getting the colored version more than I thought I would... I would have got a red one.
I got a red K-50 and have to admit that it really looks good, especially with the silver HD DA 15 limited, but looks pretty tight with the DA 300 too.
03-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
The K-50's customizable color-ordering system for 220 color combinations was an experiment that unfortunately was needlessly criticized, because the idea of using color in camera bodies actually has seen some traction with other makers. The sheer abundance of colors for the K-50 might have been a little over the top, but it was a good idea nonetheless. The fact that the K-50 has turned out, in my view, to be a very optimal Pentax body makes the initial reaction to the color thing unfortunate. It's a great camera. The K-S 2 has wi-fi using image sync now, but you could transfer images to your smart device with the K-50, too. It couldn't be remote operated like K-3 with FLU or K-S2 with Image Sync, but I think just getting the images out for social sharing is the more important of the two features. (I'll be trying K-S2 near a bird feeder, though, and see how that works out.) Surprisingly, K-S2 doesn't offer wireless flash support. K-50 does. The K-S2's sleeper feature, I think, is the wi-fi button becoming a shutter button when you want to turn the camera on yourself. And the 20mp sensor is starting to look good to me. But yes, the K-S2 color offerings are limited and curated and no longer customizable. Maybe the K-50's 220 colors might have been a bridge too far, but I regret that I didn't get one. I had a blue K-30 already, which is also pretty hip.
You have some good points. At least in Japan, the 100+ color thing has been going on since the K-x, so at this point in time some odd the novelty has worn off. I think the colors were clever marketing OK n Japan for a few reasons.

- In the large Japanese stores, Ricoh had been giving them ALL color combinations to display as non-functional models. This makes for a very eye-catching display in the stores.
- The stores then kept these display models and used them as demonstrations on tripods and straps. I still see K-R and K30 models being used like this.
- They have done several tie ups with other unrelated brands by giving away cameras matched to the product's own colors. I can think of an example with green tea flavoured sweet maker which gave away green/white Q7s and another one where blue/yellow K-50s were given away for a T-point card promotion. The clothing brand Uniqlo also uses Pentax DSLRs coordinated with their clothes in displays at one of their stores.

What you'll notice about these is that they have nothing to do with people actually buying those cameras in those color. It's all about getting brand recognition outside the normal camera buying demographic. But like all marketing tricks, it only works for a certain amount of time before it loses it's impact. That's why I think we may see them get a bit more sensible with the color options in future.
03-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

For the K-S1, I don't find it surprising as its successor is on the market in the form of the K-S2.
For the K50, it's a bit surprising as there has not been an announcement for a successor; it might however be that Pentax considers the K-S2 the successor? Or that a successor will be announced at the next big show?
03-21-2015, 12:24 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I just received a regular newsletter from Ricoh Japan that contained a notice that they will stop talking colour orders for the K-50 and K-S1 at the end of March. This information has been reflected on some retailers' websites. So it looks like a step towards discontinuation of both cameras. I don' think anyone would be surprised about the K-50, which has had good run, but the K-S1 has only been on the market for about half a year.
Hardly surprising given the failure of the K-S1...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2015, 04:05 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hardly surprising given the failure of the K-S1...
Well, don't know how many Pentax users the Forum represents.

But maybe it is worthwhile to re-read the PF Staff comments on the K-S1.

The size hype on a non-existing product ...

Focusing on enthusiats instead of the whole community ...

Coverage of the K-S2 vs the none-existing product at CP+ ...
03-21-2015, 04:32 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
Well, don't know how many Pentax users the Forum represents.

But maybe it is worthwhile to re-read the PF Staff comments on the K-S1.

The size hype on a non-existing product ...

Focusing on enthusiats instead of the whole community ...

Coverage of the K-S2 vs the none-existing product at CP+ ...
Regardless of all that, Pentax sort of admitted it in our CP+ interview And the fire sale prices confirm it. The K-S1 is going down a very similar path as the K-01, though I think the K-01 probably attracted more attention because of the a. celebrity design and b. novel mirrorless aspect.

With that said, the K-S1 was a great stepping stone for Pentax, since it established some of the core tech and upgrades present in the K-S2, such as the improved 20Mp sensor and the facelifted menu system. The K-S2 even has animations on top of the facelift!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2015, 05:26 AM   #15
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Regardless of all that, Pentax sort of admitted it in our CP+ interview And the fire sale prices confirm it. The K-S1 is going down a very similar path as the K-01, though I think the K-01 probably attracted more attention because of the a. celebrity design and b. novel mirrorless aspect.

With that said, the K-S1 was a great stepping stone for Pentax, since it established some of the core tech and upgrades present in the K-S2, such as the improved 20Mp sensor and the facelifted menu system. The K-S2 even has animations on top of the facelift!
What impressed me most about the K-S1 is the miniaturisation. Given all the parts that have to be in a Pentax DSLR (i.e. SR and screwdrive motor), how did they make it so small? Where does the circuit board fit in? I haven't seen a K-S1 opened up, but the board must be tiny. It makes me wonder whether the mythical MX-shaped digital K-mount could be made on the K-S1 platform. It also makes me wonder how small, light and cheap a K-01 successor could be made.

But I should clarify, I've seen no evidence that the K-S1 is actually discontinued. It's only that you won't be able to order the "night sky" or "fabric" colour options after the end of March.