Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yes using LiveView and a K50. Tried multiple times with two different devices. Used a DA* 60-250 with minimum focus distance of 3' or so but that should not make a difference. Sat in a chair on level with the device sitting on a short half-wall and had my son press the buttons and also tried holding it by hand (out of focus) in front of the lens. No dice.

But given the fact that IR conversion removes an IR filter I would not have expected it to work for all remotes. I wonder if the frequency of the one's I was using was lower than yours?
Dunno... It's a standard trick you can google for seeing if your remote is defective. Try your phone camera. My dull normal (i.e., not very smart) Moto G also sees my camera and TV remotes just fine...checked just this second.

03-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Dunno... It's a standard trick you can google for seeing if your remote is defective. Try your phone camera. My dull normal (i.e., not very smart) Moto G also sees my camera and TV remotes just fine...checked just this second.
My LG G3 camera does see this. It's a very short flash and not bright at all. Putting it 3' away may make it hard to see. I'll repeat the test with something with close focus options on the K50.

---------- Post added 03-25-15 at 06:06 PM ----------

The F 50 f/1.7 sees it. Purple color not pale yellow red like the LG saw it. Interesting. Maybe lens coatings matter.
Still playing - thanks for the tip - it is entertaining at the least.
03-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Yeah...I was amazed some years ago when I found out. I wasn't sure if my TV remote was working, was googling around, and happened upon the trick. Had an earlier version Lumix P&S at the time.

Note I was using the 10-20 at 10mm and the 18-50 at 18mm. That may have made the original difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My LG G3 camera does see this. It's a very short flash and not bright at all. Putting it 3' away may make it hard to see. I'll repeat the test with something with close focus options on the K50.

---------- Post added 03-25-15 at 06:06 PM ----------

The F 50 f/1.7 sees it. Purple color not pale yellow red like the LG saw it. Interesting. Maybe lens coatings matter.
Still playing - thanks for the tip - it is entertaining at the least.
You have the old manual 1.7??? I have one that I like to play with.
03-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Note I was using the 10-20 at 10mm and the 18-50 at 18mm. That may have made the original difference.
I got my DA* 60-250 to see it eventually - I had to add my Raynox 250 to the front to get it to focus close and then it was easy to see.

You have the old manual 1.7??? I have one that I like to play with.
No, I do have an M 50 f/2 and an A 50 f/2 but that was with my F 50 f/1.7

03-27-2015, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

And now... a picture!