Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Shopping channel sells well

Watching the Shopping Channel on TV this afternoon for a bit. They were selling Pentax K50's, with the kit lens and a Pentax AF200 flash...for $ 499.

I don't usually watch this channel, but I was impressed with the sales technique, which were quite successful. By the time I clicked onto another channel, they had sold 623 K50's....and were still selling. It seemed the way the number sign sold changed every 30 seconds to a minute or so...with the number tallying upward.

When you figure it out...623 sold (when I checked out) X $ 499.00 =...well...a whole lot of moolah, cash dollars, money, etc.

I'm starting to think going online is the way to go to move product.

03-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm amazed people still buy from the shopping channel at all, given how much easier and cheaper the internet is. I suppose its death will have to come one day, though.
03-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I'm amazed people still buy from the shopping channel at all, given how much easier and cheaper the internet is. I suppose its death will have to come one day, though.
The reason the internet is not as successful in some cases is because people look for what they want online, as an active searcher, whereas when you watch TV you are passive which allows other people to sell to you. Those people probably didn't turn on the TV looking to buy a camera. They were "sold" into buying it.

There's nobody actively selling to you online. Just static pages, maybe some adds, and videos that you may not click on.
03-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well...just watching the shopping channel in this Pentax event, I was impressed by the knowledge and presentation skills of the salesman. He knew what to emphasize, how to show the camera in action. I can't think of any other point of sales that has moved so many relatively expensive cameras so quickly as this Shopping Channel experience.

Your question is a good one and it made me wonder why this Shopping Channel was so successful.

I think it's having an experienced, well versed salesman demonstrate and review the camera's advantages. He was much better...and more effective... than 90 % of the salespeople at camera stores or big box stores that I've run into.

03-23-2015, 03:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Buy PENTAX K-50 DSLR with 18-55mm Lens, AF200 Flash & 8GB SD Card-Electronics-Cameras & Accessories-DSLR-Online Shopping for Canadians

The cheesy irrepressible enthusiasm is hard to resist. But is there a risk of cheapening the brand?
03-23-2015, 04:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There was a very good BBC documentary Louis Theroux did where he had a go as a shopping channel presenter. It's a methodical operation.
03-23-2015, 04:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought my K-30 and my Q both on QVC as closeout items a few years ago. Great price, no tax or shipping and 6 month payment plan. They even have a 645Z for 5 monthly payments of $1,953 but the end price of $9,765 seems a little high.
03-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I turned it on specially as I had noted it listed as Pentax Cameras in the TV listings. They had what they claimed as the Shopping Channel's exclusive pink with matching lens but only 100 of this model. I doubt thta having an hour of selling Pentax cameras will not cheapen the brand anymore than being able to buy a camera through airmiles or in a big discout box store. I would suspect that most of those who bought from the show would not have bought a Pentax otherwise so that should be good for the brand. I did not watch long enough to see if their snow melted.

03-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Buy PENTAX K-50 DSLR with 18-55mm Lens, AF200 Flash & 8GB SD Card-Electronics-Cameras & Accessories-DSLR-Online Shopping for Canadians

The cheesy irrepressible enthusiasm is hard to resist. But is there a risk of cheapening the brand?
Hah!, anything seen on these shopping channels cheapens the respective brand. Their sales pitch is aimed
squarely at the suburban housewife. An undeniably uncool image, at least that's the image that was formed
in my head the first time I saw a shopping channel, (probably QVC), back in the early '90s. It's been surreal
to witness that same basic sales pitch transmogrified to hawk everything from gas grills to guns.
03-23-2015, 10:21 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was fresh out of grad school and looking for full-time employment in my field of study, to make ends meet, I worked for a while at a well-known toy/software company as a sales/business analyst. We occasionally sold items through HSN and QVC. The standard drill was to find items that were underperforming or had excess stock and send large bundles to the shopping networks, who would run (usually) a one-day promotion on the item.

If I recall correctly, the supplier would be on the hook for the items if they fail to sell, so we tended to price them fairly aggressively in order to encourage a good sell-through rate. This was usually stuff that had been in the big box stores for several months or even discontinued, and it tended to attract a very different segment of buyers from those who purchased from our main customers (Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, Best Buy). None of our studies ever showed that it cheapened the brand, and the big boxes were happy that they weren't really competing with HSN, so it was a very convenient way to dump inventory ahead of a line refresh.

Vis a vis Ricoh, I don't think that this is a bad strategy at all. After all, Canon and Nikon's camera business is built on the shoulders of the "suburban housewife" and her family who want to take family snapshots with a "good camera." These consumers usually buy nothing beyond a kit lens and quite often base their buying decisions on no more than the recommendation of a friend or colleague who has a Canon or Nikon and "likes it." Put a Pentax, which will suit her just as well as a Canon/Nikon, in the friend's hand instead, and she just became the most effective form of advertising for the brand that the housewife will likely encounter.

Putting 623 Pentaxes in the hands of "normal" people who otherwise wouldn't have had one while at the same time recouping some money from a stale product is a big win for a company that has almost zero visibility in today's North American market. And even if a viewer saw the sale and didn't decide to buy, they at least are reminded that Pentax still exists.

Last edited by dcshooter; 03-23-2015 at 11:35 AM.
03-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
When I was fresh out of grad school and looking for full-time employment in my field of study, to make ends meet, I worked for a while at a well-known toy/software company as a sales/business analyst. We occasionally sold items through HSN and QVC. The standard drill was to find items that were underperforming or had excess stock and send large bundles to the shopping networks, who would run (usually) a one-day promotion on the item.

If I recall correctly, the supplier would be on the hook for the items if they fail to sell, so we tended to price them fairly aggressively in order to encourage a good sell-through rate. This was usually stuff that had been in the big box stores for several months or even discontinued, and it tended to attract a very different segment of buyers from those who purchased from our main customers (Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, Best Buy). None of our studies ever showed that it cheapened the brand, and the big boxes were happy that they weren't really competing with HSN, so it was a very convenient way to dump inventory ahead of a line refresh.

Vis a vis Ricoh, I don't think that this is a bad strategy at all. After all, Canon and Nikon's camera business is built on the shoulders of the "suburban housewife" and her family who want to take family snapshots with a "good camera." These consumers usually buy nothing beyond a kit lens and quite often base their buying decisions on no more than the recommendation of a friend or colleague who has a Canon or Nikon and "likes it." Put a Pentax, which will suit her just as well as a Canon/Nikon, in the friend's hand instead, and she just became the most effective form of advertising for the brand that the housewife will likely encounter.

Putting 623 Pentaxes in the hands of "normal" people who otherwise wouldn't have had one while at the same time recouping some money from a stale product is a big win for a company that has almost zero visibility in today's North American market. And even if a viewer saw the sale and didn't decide to buy, they at least are reminded that Pentax still exists.
I couldn't of said it better. You do understand marketing very well.
03-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I wonder if the 623 count can be trusted. What's to stop the shopping channels from inflating numbers to make an item seem more desirable to viewers?

Regardless, selling cameras is good for Ricoh and good for buyers.
03-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I hope not. They have a lot of disabled people working for them via their homes. I never shop using them but I'm glad some people still like to otherwise there would be a lot of disabled people who would be jobless and desperate because no one else will hire them...
03-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I hope not. They have a lot of disabled people working for them via their homes. I never shop using them but I'm glad some people still like to otherwise there would be a lot of disabled people who would be jobless and desperate because no one else will hire them...
Do you know what jobs these disabled people do for the shipping networks?
03-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I wonder if the 623 count can be trusted. What's to stop the shopping channels from inflating numbers to make an item seem more desirable to viewers?
Now why would your mind go there ?