Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 12:42 AM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
A 50mp sensor has little to do with photography and almost everything to do with marketing.
As if one prefer to have more detailled images in great lighting conditions or less noise in bad lighting condition is more a matter a taste than linked/unlinked to photography.

I do find myself that regardless of noise level, a picture will look dramatically better if the lighting is great than if it is bad. That a bit the difference between the portraiture of you friend in a bad lit pub or a studio shoot.

You may have no choice for a sport shoot and be quite happy with bette high iso performance... Like you may benefit a lot of the added resolution for a huge print of a detailled landscape... That's all a matter of what is your practice...

07-29-2015, 11:44 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Theses 50MP cameras are highend products and quite expensive one. There no reason to buy them if you are not interrested in the feature.

The feature as I see it:
- Print huge like 40x60" while keeping lot of details. For some kind of scenes, this is an added value, clearly.
- Comfort to crop a lot for wildlife and remove any interrest to have a separate APSC camera from a magnification point of view.
- Capture the max you can and don't hesistate to find other pictures/framing in the original scene.

Now most funny is that if you ask if Pentax pixel shift is good, many will say yes while it apply only to still shooting on a tripod while this 50MP sensor would work on all photos you take.

Do I care myself: I would if it was for APSC at a better price without reducing high iso performance too much. That would give more crop possibilities and allow to keep my kit small.
cropping will get only that far, even with 50mp. You cannot expect to put a 20mm lens on a camera, do a safari, and then crop out that lion which is sitting 100m away and expect to have all the detail you would get with 5mp with a big tele lens on it. It just will not happen.
yes, you will have cropping abillities, but only so much.
07-30-2015, 12:05 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
cropping will get only that far, even with 50mp. You cannot expect to put a 20mm lens on a camera, do a safari, and then crop out that lion which is sitting 100m away and expect to have all the detail you would get with 5mp with a big tele lens on it. It just will not happen.
yes, you will have cropping abillities, but only so much.
No you can't expect that, but for wildlife in particular where a 1.5 time the focal lense is quite significantly bigger/heavier/expensive, cropping is the norm, not the exception. Ask some birders. So having a 50MP FF allow to keep a very similar magnification of an APSC while in crop mode (22MP in crop mode vs 24MP for an APSC) and people don't hesitate to crop their APSC shoot neither significantly, in particular wildlife shooters.

So a 50MP FF mean that you can choose between your say 150-450 in 35mm format with full quality and margin for quite high iso and huge prints, or 225-675mm in APSC quality with quite good high iso and still big prints or keep only say 10MP get 330-1000mm framing provided you don't print too big.

And trust me, the guys that do wildlife and safaris do it all the time. Of course they would have prefered a 200-600mm f/4 or a 1000mm f/5.6 prime... but it is not like this kind of gear is affordable or practical.

In the end, I think there quite some appeal to have one camera that you can use for quite low light (events, weddings...) and shallow deph of field (portraiture ?) but also huge print of landscapes and also wildlife/action/sport photography (great AF and lot of reach).

Sure that's quite expensive and not mandatory but the more capable the gear is, the more options you have... Otherwise we would be all working on compact cameras on 1/1.7 sensors and 25X zooms and call it a day.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 07-30-2015 at 12:17 AM.