Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
All i care to hear is ...."pixel-shift"....."Foevon"......"firmware update"............"coming soon"
LOL! Yes, me too. And the fact that they almost promised it now.

03-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I'm obviously no engineer, but that really sounds bizarre when I take into account that memory was already super-mega-uber-cheap during the introduction of the K20D.
Without arguing one way or another about the possibility of doing such a change retroactively, I'll say this. Even though memory is cheap, there is still SOME difference, and even saving 1$ on a product (on one element) brings the total Cost Of Good down, and sometimes it's necessary to find those few dollars here and there.
03-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

15 years on ...
03-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My understanding is that this would use an electronic shutter and that the SR would perform a small shift between each exposure -- one pixel shift in different directions. The four exposures would be done very quickly.
Not so fast my friend. For example the Q electronic shutter is something like 1/15 of a second, So you are talking about a very very long exposure for 4 frames like that. Also considering that the sweep speed of the shutter on, for example the K5 is about 1/180 of a second, given max sync speed of 1/180, would this only be something done at slow speed? How to manage exposure? Lots of nuts and bolts details missing

03-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Not so fast my friend. For example the Q electronic shutter is something like 1/15 of a second, So you are talking about a very very long exposure for 4 frames like that. Also considering that the sweep speed of the shutter on, for example the K5 is about 1/180 of a second, given max sync speed of 1/180, would this only be something done at slow speed? How to manage exposure? Lots of nuts and bolts details missing
Doesn't current HDR mode and multinexposure mode with single button press use an electronic shutter on the K3? Maybe I just don't what I'm talking about..:
03-26-2015, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It's nice to see that IR is doing quite a bit of work to bring Ricoh products to their front pages.
I think it is not about putting Ricoh up to front pages, but about being editorially honest about innovations in digital photography and giving them merits — no matter where they come from.
Pentax still innovates madly and thinks outside the box, and IR recognises that size of the company or market share has nothing to do with company's ability to innovate. That is why I like reading IR.

Yet the best bits of innovation we shall see this October. Many will suffer heart attack.

Last edited by Uluru; 03-26-2015 at 03:33 PM.
03-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think it is not about putting Ricoh up to front pages, but about being editorially honest about innovations in digital photography and giving them merits — no matter where they come from.
Pentax still innovates madly and thinks outside the box, and IR recognises that size of the company or market share has nothing to do with company's ability to innovate. That is why I like reading IR.

Yet the best bits of innovation we shall see this October. Many will suffer heart attack.
Better get my under the tongue nitroglycerin pills, just in case... I've already develop a heart murmur from all these unsubstantiated rumors circulating, show me the facts!!!

Last edited by Stavri; 03-26-2015 at 08:14 PM.
03-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Doesn't current HDR mode and multinexposure mode with single button press use an electronic shutter on the K3? Maybe I just don't what I'm talking about..:
No...single button press with regular shutter action. The K-3 does not support an electronic shutter for still images.

Steve
03-27-2015, 05:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
show me the facts!!!
What the fanboys don't realize is that cameras are cobbled together from subassemblies - Sony sensor, Copal shutter, Fujitsu processor etc. etc. Don't expect any great innovation surprises
03-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
What the fanboys don't realize is that cameras are cobbled together from subassemblies - Sony sensor, Copal shutter, Fujitsu processor etc. etc. Don't expect any great innovation surprises
This is so true! The cameras only support the features exposed by the component makers. There are very few components that are made by and controlled by the camera maker.

Steve
03-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is so true! The cameras only support the features exposed by the component makers. There are very few components that are made by and controlled by the camera maker.
Steve
Photography industry, in time of its development especially after WWII, created a healthy eco-system of manufacturers and procurers that all tie together in a union of like-minded folks who care to produce best they can. Major driving force were the mounts, established by few manufacturers, who then helped their suppliers to expand their business and focus on innovation in their fields. Sometimes direct $$ was ensured to help the procurers of the parts required for a complex camera system.

In fact, Nikon, Fuji and Ricoh, for example, invest with real money into production of Sony's sensors. That is how they buy purchasing and bargaining rights, and can influence which features of the sensor the manufacturer will focus on. Sony never develops anything significantly new out of thin air and without consultation with the largest of customers. Because otherwise they would not be able to sell anything and SOny would be dumped in favour of a manufacturer that listens to its purchasers.
03-30-2015, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

All this applies to most industries, by the way