Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
My K-5 has over 36,800 clicks and it has stopped functioning... which leads me to wonder - how many photos do you expect your camera to take before it dies?

I opted to buy a gently used K-5 body to replace my old K-5 for about the same as getting mine fixed (no longer under warranty) but I am disappointed that it didn't last longer. Your thoughts?
What is the mallfunction? Do you have black images, so no curtain going up? If that is the case, just bang the thing to get that part loose......remember it is already broken.

My K-5 is on 175.000 or so.

03-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Have you checked the camera with another (good) battery or SD card and checked for clean contacts for SD card, battery and lens ?
Have you tried the factory reset ?
and What do you mean by "it will dim" ?
I did all of that several times. It's hard to describe. Instead of the usual click, the viewfinder would dim but there would be no audible click and the photo would not take.

---------- Post added 03-24-2015 at 05:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
What is the mallfunction? Do you have black images, so no curtain going up? If that is the case, just bang the thing to get that part loose......remember it is already broken.

My K-5 is on 175.000 or so.
It won't take an image at all so no black images. And then, the other day, it would only take a photo if if was shooting straight down.

As I mentioned, I've already purchased another K-5 body for the cost of getting my current K-5 body fixed. I didn't feel the need to upgrade yet but was curious about what I should expect.

Last edited by sealonsf; 03-24-2015 at 05:36 PM.
03-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've already purchased another K-5 body for the cost of getting my current K-5 body fixed.
You can always put the bad K5 in the marketplace with full disclosure, not sure for how much though. It can still be used for either a DA* 16-50 or 50-135 screw drive hacking.
03-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
You can always put the bad K5 in the marketplace with full disclosure, not sure for how much though. It can still be used for either a DA* 16-50 or 50-135 screw drive hacking.
Thank you. I'll consider that.

03-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

My K-5 has over 36,800 clicks and it has stopped functioning... which leads me to wonder - how many photos do you expect your camera to take before it dies? I opted to buy a gently used K-5 body to replace my old K-5 for about the same as getting mine fixed (no longer under warranty) but I am disappointed that it didn't last longer. Your thoughts?

38 K seems a bit low. Of my two, K100dSuper and k5, the highest is 20K, but no failures yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
The other thing that can hurt a camera, or any mechanical device for that matter, is not using it. Mechanical devices are meant to be operated and when they aren't, things will start to deteriorate (anyone who's stored a car for extended periods can describe what a nightmare it can be to replace every gasket that's rotted because it's not getting oil/water/whatever it's designed to retain against it). I assume that's not the case here, but it's a good idea to exercise your camera periodically if you're not using it often. Ditto lenses.

I agree completely. How best to prolong shelf life of a DSLR? Maybe I should just give the K100dSuper to our 14 year old daughter, who has made a few decent photos with it and the 40 limited. She has asked for it a couple of times.
03-24-2015, 11:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

It won't take an image at all so no black images.
Does it autofocus? I assume it does, but if not, try back button AF (or if set for that, shutter button AF). Setting to MF and allowing the camera to take a shot while not focused might also be an option to test.
If you have a wireless or wired remote, try those. If they work, you have at least a camera that can work with some limitations.

And then, the other day, it would only take a photo if if was shooting straight down.
This might be a simple matter of a bad contact / loose cable internally. It might be worth fixing yourself (if you're that way inclined); labour will probably make it too expensive for outsourcing.
04-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #22

My K-5 has over 36,800 clicks and it has stopped functioning... which leads me to wonder - how many photos do you expect your camera to take before it dies?

I opted to buy a gently used K-5 body to replace my old K-5 for about the same as getting mine fixed (no longer under warranty) but I am disappointed that it didn't last longer. Your thoughts?
I maybe all wet here, and I am no expert but it almost sounds like the mirror is stuck. Did you try live view, I believe the mirror moves out of the way for live view to work. You also might have a weak battery or maybe something got into the camera body keeping the mirror from moving. Just a guess.
04-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #23

And if you want to properly recycle the broken camera, advertise politically inform it also in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250555-resurrect...e-hacking.html thread.
Someone might catch and start hacking firmware and we might see magic lantern less than ten years.

(Don't offer it to me. Too big shipping cost and too little time for me to study and hack it)