Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many clicks should I expect a camera to last?

My K-5 has over 36,800 clicks and it has stopped functioning... which leads me to wonder - how many photos do you expect your camera to take before it dies?

I opted to buy a gently used K-5 body to replace my old K-5 for about the same as getting mine fixed (no longer under warranty) but I am disappointed that it didn't last longer. Your thoughts?

03-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You did not say how your camera failed. The shutter is supposed to be good for 100,000 cycles.

Steve
03-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's normal to feel somewhat dissapointed. The K5 has a rating of 100,000 but I do believe that shutter and camera ratings in general do include periodic maintenance in their projections. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but it might be every 15,000 clicks or so, would help push its lifespan on the 50,000+ region. I know from personal experience that people who do a lot of time-lapse photography (and put lots of miles on their dslr) have them send for calibration and inspection on regular intervals.
03-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear your K5 failing so soon. On paper it's supposed to be at least 100k, but I guess it varies. I don't remember who it was but one forum member mentioned her K-x died at about the same shutter count as yours. There's another forum member that I know has a K-r with 52K+ actuation and still ticking. Hoping to get at least 50K+ out of mine.

03-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

k-5 was rated at 100,000 shutter actuations I believe. However, that is only a suggested average. Some will go longer, some less. It also depends on your shooting style, lots of fast burst might cause more wear and tear than only shooting single shots. Shooting at very fast shutter speeds might wear out the mechanism faster. Temperature extremes, dust and dirt and and shocks might also have an affect. And note that the rating is (I think) for the shutter mechanism, so if something else fails that really is not what the rating is looking at.

I got about 40,000 if I remember right on my k-5 before repair.

This is interesting: pentax k7 | Camera Shutter Life Database
03-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The other thing that can hurt a camera, or any mechanical device for that matter, is not using it. Mechanical devices are meant to be operated and when they aren't, things will start to deteriorate (anyone who's stored a car for extended periods can describe what a nightmare it can be to replace every gasket that's rotted because it's not getting oil/water/whatever it's designed to retain against it). I assume that's not the case here, but it's a good idea to exercise your camera periodically if you're not using it often. Ditto lenses.
03-24-2015, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #7

03-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
The other thing that can hurt a camera, or any mechanical device for that matter, is not using it. Mechanical devices are meant to be operated and when they aren't, things will start to deteriorate (anyone who's stored a car for extended periods can describe what a nightmare it can be to replace every gasket that's rotted because it's not getting oil/water/whatever it's designed to retain against it). I assume that's not the case here, but it's a good idea to exercise your camera periodically if you're not using it often. Ditto lenses.

+1 to this advice.
03-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. I'm not sure what's wrong with the camera but it seems to have something to do with the mirror. It will dim, but not take a photo, not actually click. Or lately, it won't do anything at all when I try to take a photo. I'm sure I could get it fixed, but at $200 a pop, I'm not sure it's worth it. I have used the camera well - sometimes in extreme weather situations, but usually one click at a time.

Regarding this: "...send for calibration and inspection on regular intervals."

I assume that's sending the camera in with the same $200 repair cost - (in the US to Precision camera)? I know my camera could have used that but I'm not sure how to go about it.
03-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

35,000 for my K-7

Shutter assembly failed on my K-7 at 35,000 clicks. Apparently, the K-7 as a used camera only sells for around $200, and I paid CRIS $175 for the shutter assembly replacement. I considered just junking it out, but really like the camera as a backup to the K-5II and K-3, and felt that with a new shutter assembly it would essentially be a new camera.

With precision equipment, you just never know.
03-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Thanks for the comments. I'm not sure what's wrong with the camera but it seems to have something to do with the mirror. It will dim, but not take a photo, not actually click. Or lately, it won't do anything at all when I try to take a photo. I'm sure I could get it fixed, but at $200 a pop, I'm not sure it's worth it. I have used the camera well - sometimes in extreme weather situations, but usually one click at a time.

Regarding this: "...send for calibration and inspection on regular intervals."

I assume that's sending the camera in with the same $200 repair cost - (in the US to Precision camera)? I know my camera could have used that but I'm not sure how to go about it.

For amateurs like us who don't earn their living taking pictures, is better to accept the facts, honor it's legacy with a minute of silence and look for another body. Repairs are expensive nowadays.
03-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Have you checked the camera with another (good) battery or SD card and checked for clean contacts for SD card, battery and lens ?
Have you tried the factory reset ?
and What do you mean by "it will dim" ?
03-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #13

My Canon eos 350D lasted 350 000 shots. I bought it used (300 000 shots) with kit lens. I mistreated it keeping in trunk of my car (-30..+50), dropped in snow on crash site and got back much later. I believe it was killed by corrosion as power didn't turn on one day. Replacement 350D died in 60 000 shots as mirror didn't lock up any more.

Cameras have tolerances and some dimensions in machinery are better than others.

And I didn't want Pentax. I had too many power problems with old bodies and I wanted cheap camera.
So now you can wait and buy FF camera or K-3 or used K-Something-else. Tough decisions.
03-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
My Canon eos 350D lasted 350 000 shots. I bought it used (300 000 shots) with kit lens. I mistreated it keeping in trunk of my car (-30..+50), dropped in snow on crash site and got back much later. I believe it was killed by corrosion as power didn't turn on one day. Replacement 350D died in 60 000 shots as mirror didn't lock up any more.
Your Canon experience reminded me of a friend of mine locally who went through four (4) Canon 7D shutters in 16 months with the first 3 being warranty repairs.

Steve
03-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #15

It does raise a good question. What exactly does shutter fail look like? Does the rest of the camera act normal but just no firing of the shutter.

My K-50 acted up once last summer and I thought it was done for. When looking through the viewfinder it was very dark, like the aperture blades were stopped down. It would not fire and other things were acting strange. I took out the battery and let it set fore several hours. Put in a fresh battery and it has worked fine ever since. So the idea of a reboot/reset might be a good idea before assuming it is the shutter.