Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pw-pix Quote
I'm pretty sure there is no anti-shake mechanism in he Exilim cameras, I think they just boost the heck out of the ISO to keep the shutter speed high and apply a lot of noise reduction to blur out the noise.
That noise reduction blur would be the reason for the poor results.
My Casio (Exilim EX-850) does have anti-shake. It's the 2nd option down once you hit the "Menu" button in video mode.

Last edited by jasonwarth; 06-09-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo
06-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

my question isnt really sr on or off with a tripod, i dont use tripods, for some reason everytime i saw a good photo opportunity the time it would take to pull out a tripod, pull out the legs, mount camera on to tripod, fix vertical and horizontal that picture i wanted left the scene 1/2 an hour ago
my question is for the last part
if you hold your breath, stand sturdy do every thing right when you are taking a picture (you are at that point in time in life of replacing a tripod manually , cause you are as steady as a rock ), does the sr feature kicks in and ruin your shot ???
06-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
my question isnt really sr on or off with a tripod, i dont use tripods, for some reason everytime i saw a good photo opportunity the time it would take to pull out a tripod, pull out the legs, mount camera on to tripod, fix vertical and horizontal that picture i wanted left the scene 1/2 an hour ago
if you hold your breath, stand sturdy do every thing right when you are taking a picture (you are at that point in time in life of replacing a tripod manually , cause you are as steady as a rock ), does the sr feature kicks in and ruin your shot ???
No.

Try as you might....neither you or any other human can "hold" a camera as steady as a decent tripod. Ever shoot a handgun? When I hold a pistol with one hand and aim it at a target 50 yards away that little red dot (on my red dot scope) dances all around the middle of the target. Two hands a little less so but still dancing around. Bench rest, much better but still some movement; hands off with the gun locked in a ransom rest.....now the dot ain't movin'.

If your holding it....use the SR function.
06-10-2008, 05:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
Hold your breath for more than a very short time, and you're likely to get tense and start shaking. It's been shown time and again that it is easier and steadier to shoot (handgun or camera) while you exhale slowly (and smoothly).

06-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"if you hold your breath, stand sturdy do every thing right when you are taking a picture (you are at that point in time in life of replacing a tripod manually , cause you are as steady as a rock ), "

Perfect breath control won't allow you to hold this steady...

Last edited by wildman; 06-28-2008 at 11:56 PM.
06-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

thanks guys
that was the answer i was hoping to hear

Dave
06-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
There is no need to try and reduce shake in the camera when it is in a tri-pod, because the tri-pod does this. Also, why waste the power of running the Shake Reduction for nothing. It could be compared to turning on the street lights, at 12:00 noon, in sunny California.
Whilst I agree about when to use SR I think you'll find that with SR on or off the systems power consumption varies very little as the majority of the power is being used by the linear motors holding the sensor assembly (whether SR is active or not).

06-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

distudio:

I did not say power consumption varied a lot with SR on. I said it would be a waste of power to run it with the camera on a tri-pod. SR requires manipulation and maneuvering of the sensor=power consumption.

Regards,

Ernest

Humanity subdues inhumanity as water subdues fire.

Mencius 6A:18.
06-11-2008, 01:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
distudio:

I did not say power consumption varied a lot with SR on. I said it would be a waste of power to run it with the camera on a tri-pod. SR requires manipulation and maneuvering of the sensor=power consumption.
What I was alluding to is that the power use remains relatively constant with SR on or off so virtually no power savings are made either way.
06-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

distudio

I have read, in reviews, that shake reduction turned on does use more power than when it is off. But this does not mean the reviewers are correct--just ask the people over at DPreview about K10d sharpness---LOL.

Anyway, you may be correct--I do not have the expertise to measure usage of power by SR, on and off. If wrong, my apologies to you---

Regards,

Ernest

"Humanity subdues inhumanity as water subdues fire."

Mencius 6A:18.
06-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #26

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jasonwarth Quote
My Casio (Exilim EX-850) does have anti-shake. It's the 2nd option down once you hit the "Menu" button in video mode.
Yes, but do you understand that it isn't proper image stabilisation such as the in-lens or moving sensor type being referred to in this discussion?
All it does is turn the ISO way up to keep shutter speeds high and apply noise reduction to fix the resulting noise. It is purely DSP (Digital Signal Processing), not true image stabilisation and thus not affected by using it on a tripod.