Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Shutterbug Magazine: Give Pentax It's Props

Hey all,
Just looking over the second issue from my subscription and for the second time, about 90 percent of reader's submitted photos are either Nikon or Canon,still haven't seen a photo taken with a Pentax. While I haven't subscribed to a photographic magazine since the late 80' until now, it seems like Pentax, as in the old days when I had my Spotmatic F,doesn't get the respect it deserves. I still think the publishers think "inexpensive equals cheap" or a "beginner's" camera not worthy of mentioning or full extensive review. Steve s Digicams is the only website that has given the camera a full test of the k200d. I have yet to see any print media even giving it a glance,. When Pentax is mentioned, it's usually in the context of "Pentax announces this or that model" and that's it, news about a camera but no follow up. Thank god for this forum or we would never know how good Pentax camera are and for the money, the best deal around.

Barry

06-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Hey all,
Just looking over the second issue from my subscription and for the second time, about 90 percent of reader's submitted photos are either Nikon or Canon,still haven't seen a photo taken with a Pentax. While I haven't subscribed to a photographic magazine since the late 80' until now, it seems like Pentax, as in the old days when I had my Spotmatic F,doesn't get the respect it deserves. I still think the publishers think "inexpensive equals cheap" or a "beginner's" camera not worthy of mentioning or full extensive review. Steve s Digicams is the only website that has given the camera a full test of the k200d. I have yet to see any print media even giving it a glance,. When Pentax is mentioned, it's usually in the context of "Pentax announces this or that model" and that's it, news about a camera but no follow up. Thank god for this forum or we would never know how good Pentax camera are and for the money, the best deal around.

Barry
We don't need the constant pat on the back as the Nikon and Canon owners do . And really, do we really need the media to know we got the better stuff? ;D
06-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10 years ago I would have said that Pentax was going down the tubes, but since about 4 yrs ago and till now, Pentax is doing a great comeback with serious stuff.

The eternal story among Canon and Nikon users is the same as Chevy vs Ford issues. They try to kill themselves while loosing perspective on what is going on around.

Being a Pentax user since 1976 (my first one as a K2DMD), I've seen enough evolution to say Pentax is good for many years to come, and as for the need for "ass kissing", let canon and nikon addicts fight about that.

No need for me to receive "approval" 'cause of my hardware. Just think about this: It is true very few Pentax "produced" pictures are submitted to magazines, but the same is true with Leica or Contax stuff... even less if you consider de medium format guys.

Be proud of your gear.
06-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I too, get frustrated by the lack of Pentax coverage and/or photo credits. I think this is partly due to the fact that Pentax hasen't (isn't) advertised like the "big boys". Seems kind of Catch 22............

What I see as the real underlying problem with the lack of advertising and/or mention by the pubs is that die-hard Pentaxians can only carry the company so far - new blood needs to continuously be brought into the "family". Without advertising, this isn't going to happen with the frequency required to keep Pentax in the DSLR business.

I've written to Pentax twice about this - maybe we need all Pentaxians to hammer home the message to Pentax that advertising pays!!

Off soapbox.

06-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Forum Member

I've got a new add campaign for them. Each add should start off with the words:

"Have you seriously considered a PENTAX?"

Follow that up with a big picture of the K20D or K200D...some sample photos and some quotes from positive reviews and unique features.

I know, I know, asking people if they have even considered a Pentax is admitting that your not a well known entity......but that's just it. We all know that and so does Pentax, so use it. I know people who have never even heard of Pentax and others who thought they went out of business years ago.
06-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I was at Waldenbooks during lunch, and there is a magazine that is a team-up with Digital Photographer and Pentax called Travel Photography. It's a $30 magazine with a multi-page spread with the new bodies and lenses. It's part 3 of a series, and it's printed in the UK, so they are at least trying to reach out somewhere.
06-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
What I see as the real underlying problem with the lack of advertising and/or mention by the pubs is that die-hard Pentaxians can only carry the company so far - new blood needs to continuously be brought into the "family". Without advertising, this isn't going to happen with the frequency required to keep Pentax in the DSLR business.
Very true. I would have never even knew, let alone considered, the K10D if not for someone else.
06-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
10 years ago I would have said that Pentax was going down the tubes, but since about 4 yrs ago and till now, Pentax is doing a great comeback with serious stuff.

The eternal story among Canon and Nikon users is the same as Chevy vs Ford issues. They try to kill themselves while loosing perspective on what is going on around.

Being a Pentax user since 1976 (my first one as a K2DMD), I've seen enough evolution to say Pentax is good for many years to come, and as for the need for "ass kissing", let canon and nikon addicts fight about that.

No need for me to receive "approval" 'cause of my hardware. Just think about this: It is true very few Pentax "produced" pictures are submitted to magazines, but the same is true with Leica or Contax stuff... even less if you consider de medium format guys.

Be proud of your gear.
I guess that's why I drive a Subaru

06-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #9

So very true, the only reason I have a pentax right now is because I put off buying a nikon d40 for a year and stumbled upon the 100d super. Even after discovering pentax, it took a while before I got it simply because "everybody else has a canon/nikon, it must be good" mentallity. On the upside, I don't have a single regret getting a pentax and will continue to be part of the "family".

I do have to say though, this forum, along with with some of the other ones are a great way of reaching the "new generation" as it did with me. If it wasn't for constant level headed advice and reviews by fellow pentaxians, it might be a nikon user! T_T
06-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #10

very very true. I was considering going the Canon way with the XSi, but found via the interewebz that the K10D was at the same/lower price has the XSi, and yet offered controls like a 30D. A few bids later in eBay *Puerto Rico sucks at the camera department, we dont have a camera shop in the whole island* and I have a K10D with a Pentax-M 50mm.
06-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Maybe Pentax should have advertising slogan "Built To Last" I've known people who have laid to rest their Canon AE-1s a long time ago while the old Spotmatics, MXs and K1000s are still going strong after over 30 years or more. This may sound stupid but maybe Pentax cameras are too inexpensive...the psychology being "expensive equals better" I could never justify paying over $5000 for a Leica camera. DpReview of the M8 isn't all that great, still has quite a bit of noise at 400 ISO and above. Leica is now nothing more than a status symbol now. I will say that Pentax line of compact point and shoot models aren't as good as other brands but it's line of DSLRs can beat most of the big boys models hands down and you still have money left over for extra lenses and other accessories.

Rant Over
Barry
06-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I too, get frustrated by the lack of Pentax coverage and/or photo credits. I think this is partly due to the fact that Pentax hasen't (isn't) advertised like the "big boys". Seems kind of Catch 22............

I've written to Pentax twice about this - maybe we need all Pentaxians to hammer home the message to Pentax that advertising pays!!

Off soapbox.
Hoya has cut the advertising budget significantly. That is the word that I have received. Too bad, as advertising is needed to get the message out there if they wish to adopt a new user base.

Dommage...

Ben
06-05-2008, 12:00 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I came by my K10 similarly to pollito... except I'm a real gadget freak, so I research everything I buy exhaustively.

Once I decided I wanted to try an SLR, I pored over all the reviews, specs, forums, etc. I could find.

Looking at spec sheets, the K10 won hands-down unless I went up an order of magnitude in cost and sprung for a pro body from the big players. Even then, in-body IS is a big tick in the Pentax column. I like that my M42 lens from the mid-70s is stabilized

Then looking at the reviews, it seemed like the only consistent complaint was that the JPG image quality was a little lacking out of the box... and everyone admitted that this was easily fixed by adjusting a few settings.

Then the forums. Canon and Nikon boards were generally meaner and more focused on numbers... the Pentax boards were friendly, more cozy, and more focused on pictures.

Throw in a comparatively high-quality kit lens and 30+ years' worth of superb glass to research and hunt for... honestly, it's a gadget geek's dream come true Every time I look up 'pentax' on Craigslist it's like hunting for buried treasure.
06-05-2008, 02:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think your making a hen out of a feather. Or whatever they say.

I had no experience with DSLR when I got mine, I still went with Pentax, even though I had been set for a Canon for a few months before that. Infact the overly priced PR from Nikon and Canon put me off. I am always skeptical to any product that get alot of PR, i have always been the same with computers for example. I mean, if it really is that good, why do they have to keep pestering me about it?

Sure, alot of John Doe's will probably buy Canon or Nikon, because of the PR and because of staff in the bigger chains that will recommend it to them. And they will buy it because they don't know better. But seriously, do we want photographers or "photographers" as peers?
06-05-2008, 03:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Maybe Hoya's approach to advertising is by word of mouth or in this case, by keystrokes. Think about it--plenty of people in the market for a DSLR have wandered onto the various Pentax-related forums (not just this one) with questions about the Pentax system and have subsequently gotten hooked.

Heather