Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #31

What I learned shooting JPGs with K-3.... Darktable slows totally down and I have shutdown firefox and VMs to free some memory. Just to show those pictures.

RAWs on the other hand work flawlesly.

03-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Hello !

My understanding is you are after more light gathering but that the reach of the 70-300 is ok. So how can you improve on that?

The cheapest:
- Shoot RAW and use lightroom/DxO to develop your high isos images...

The camera
- Buy any camera of the K5 familly (K5, K30, K50, K5-II, K5-IIs) or more recent (K-S1, K-S2, K3) to get again 1-2 stop more from you high iso shoots because the camera sensor is simply better at that. The K3 strong point is FAR better AF that can help on action shootsand increase the number of keepers, but that also a bit more expensive than a good deal on a K30-K50.

The lense:
- Take faster lenses like the 70-200 f/2.8 if you don't need too much reach to gain again 1-2 stops depending of the focal length. The 60-250 would give you less stop gain, but would help on reach if you need it. The price may be off putting.

I would at least consider using Raws and a good raw processing software if you don't do already and changing the camera, that the cheapest thing to do and it would help for all lenses. If you are satisfied with your current autofocus performance and don't tend to reframe you shoots in post processing, a good deal on one the K5 familly member if the most interresting purchase. I'll then consider after a few months of use if I have enough or need the lense too.
I'm not very interested in changing up my post-processing, I'd rather minimize time and expense on the PC and software.

Reach is important, I like going to 300, but not critical. I'm comfortable composing and shooting to crop later. Or to put it another way, I prefer controlling the dof over reach.

Alot of folks are encouraging saving money by getting the K5, but for the sake of this discussion, the choice is faster lens (2.8) or K3.

I do appreciate the time everyone has taken to respond. Very much because it helps.

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 02:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Maybe you shoud firs answer to yourself why do you feel the need to upgrade for shooting soccer.
- if it is because too many pictures are not in focus - get K3
- if it is becasue too much noise - get K3 or any of the 16 mpix cameras.
- if you feel current lens pictures are not sharp/good enough - consider better lens such as the 70-200 you have in mind

Maybe rent the K3 body and/or the lens for one game and see if it works better for you
I miss some great pictures pictures because of focus issues and some motion blur- but I've also wanted to upgrade the lens for sharper photos. I like the suggestion to rent and test, but I'm not aware of anywhere I could rent the 70-200 f/2.8 lens, and would definitely try it.

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 02:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am with Adam on this one. Almost a year ago I transitioned from my K10D to the K-3. The difference in AF performance is significant. We live in the same town and I am willing to meet up if you want to try the K-3 with your current lens. PM me if you are interested.

Steve
Private message sent!

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 02:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
...In this post, advice was requested regarding the purchase of a Tamron 70-200 (keep old camera), versus purchasing a K-3 (keep the old lens). Examples from DA*300 and Tamron 70-200 below.
I do like the photos taken with the Tamron 70-200...
03-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the lens now, because its price won't change much. Get the K3 in a few month's time because its price is dropping. Then voila, 2 lenses and 2 cameras - you can mix and match and have a backup setup like a real pro!
03-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's advice and Steve's local help. I decided to get the K3. After shooting Steve's camera and my current lens down at a local sports complex I processed a few images on my PC at home.

I'm amazed at the improved autofocus and the K3's image quality.