Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed with the other posts. My posted shot capacities are with all the goodies turned on (LCD after every shot, SR constantly on, autofocus, though I don't use the built-in flash that much).

The K100D manual actually says not to use alkyline batteries and the ones that come with it are for functional checkout only. The new K200D ships with lithium batteries instead.

Don't use alkyline batteries unless you absolutely have to get 2-3 shots of Bigfoot or Nessie and every other battery is dead.

06-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #17
Inactive Account

For normal recording in warmer weather, CR-V3 batteries will give you around 700 recordings at 23C but performance drops drastically as the weather gets colder down to 300 exposures at 0C. If you are dealing with extreme temperature variation, lithium has a much better tolerance for cold...660 recordings at 23C to 520 at 0C. NiMH rechargeable range from 430 down to 350. All of this is normal recording without flash so drop 30-40 % for using 100% flash. Of course all my figures are from the K100D Super manual. Living in the deep south where temperature is not that extreme (well it is but on the upper end not the lower) I use the CR-V3 batteries.

CW
06-05-2008, 03:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Nakey...

as for connecting the battery to the K100D there is NO power socker on the side!
mine has a remote trigger socket, a USB socket and an A/V out socket only....

has anyone used a battery pack on this camera and can clear up the connection detials please...

just seen one on Ebay but has cables but again not where they go!
I want a grip as it will be better for me to hold onto....

And I have persuaded my brother to buy a pentax K100D Super as he spent all tuesday night playing with mine and now is off to buy one and a tammy 70-300 lens too!

Result!
Pentax 1-0 Canon

He looked at mine Canon and hated it!
06-05-2008, 04:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Outdated Design

AA batteries in digital camera is just a tense of the past. It should be avoided years ago, with the increasing super power hungriness of the digitals.

Well, the good thing if you carry 20 x 4 AA sets, you can put on your neck like the bullets worn by Rambo for his machine gun. Just imagine how cool you will be! ;-)

Btw, try Sanyo Eneloop as the safest usable but IMO not the best solution. The best batteries solution is REGULATED Rechargeable CR-V3 batteries, with which your camera will perform just like disposable Lithium CR-V3 but just with a somehow shorter life per charge and a bit heavier.

With Eneloop, your camera will be made more heavier and the AF will be noticeable slower and the power supply is not as stable as well. You will see half-depleted more often under heavier and more demanding use. The problem will deteriorate with the aging of the batteries too.

If you are interested in more in-depth technical read, you can see my old "thesis" on the issue:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When 1100mAh Li-ion RCR-V3s Outperform 2500mAh+ NiMH AAs ..

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
Right here goes...

I see lots of canon, nikon and stuff with big add on battery packs...
I just got a used Canon EOS, but you can take battery door off and use a big add on...

Now here may be the dumb bit...

Why cant Pentax make one of these battery packs for the K100D?
I mean I went to the fair last nite and took 100 pictures and it killed the battery!
four dead AAs!

So why cant we have a big add on?
I mean AAs are ok and I carry 20 with me when I have the cam, but wouldn't a big add on be good?

Come on all you base model owners, what do you think?

06-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
AA batteries in digital camera is just a tense of the past. It should be avoided years ago, with the increasing super power hungriness of the digitals.

Well, the good thing if you carry 20 x 4 AA sets, you can put on your neck like the bullets worn by Rambo for his machine gun. Just imagine how cool you will be! ;-)

Btw, try Sanyo Eneloop as the safest usable but IMO not the best solution. The best batteries solution is REGULATED Rechargeable CR-V3 batteries, with which your camera will perform just like disposable Lithium CR-V3 but just with a somehow shorter life per charge and a bit heavier.

With Eneloop, your camera will be made more heavier and the AF will be noticeable slower and the power supply is not as stable as well. You will see half-depleted more often under heavier and more demanding use. The problem will deteriorate with the aging of the batteries too.

If you are interested in more in-depth technical read, you can see my old "thesis" on the issue:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When 1100mAh Li-ion RCR-V3s Outperform 2500mAh+ NiMH AAs ..
This is nothing but Bull S**t.
I have used Eneloop batteries and also the Ray-O-Vac hybrid for the past two years. I am constantly getting anywhere form 800 to 1000 shots per charge and that is with SR on and using the view screen. I have never had a problem with the AF being slow in the K100 until the batteries are almost gone. As far as making a camera Heavy?????? Where the hell did this come from. Eneloop are no heaver than any other AA batteries.
My biggest question here is Where do you come up with your information and do you really believe your own BS.
06-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

thanks Nakey...

as for connecting the battery to the K100D there is NO power socker on the side!
mine has a remote trigger socket, a USB socket and an A/V out socket only....

has anyone used a battery pack on this camera and can clear up the connection detials please...

just seen one on Ebay but has cables but again not where they go!
I want a grip as it will be better for me to hold onto....

And I have persuaded my brother to buy a pentax K100D Super as he spent all tuesday night playing with mine and now is off to buy one and a tammy 70-300 lens too!

Result!
Pentax 1-0 Canon

He looked at mine Canon and hated it!
Hmmm, there is also a DC input terminal..... Did you miss it?
Attached Images

06-05-2008, 04:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
Speaking from an *ist DS here, so i dunno if the K100D's Battery life is any better or worse (as i've been told, the K200D is better)
I have owned and used both the DS and K100 for a long time and I can surely tell that the K100 is more power hungry.

QuoteQuote:
but don't leave them in your camera as they'll self drain. Sanyo Eneloops won't self drain, but have less power so you'll get less shots
Not really, depending on the type of NiMH, the Eneloop can give you more number of shots owing to a more stable and steady voltage roll off.

QuoteQuote:
EDIT: i've been told that rechargables aren't recommended, but i've not had any problems with them.
Yes, the K200D user manual states that:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K200D Battery Issue is Now Official!?

QuoteQuote:
I'd stay away from the rechargable CRV3 batteries as they tend to be 3.6V rather than 3V (i think Uniross makes 3V CRV3 Li-ion batteries). Stick to good quality AAs, and you shouldn't have problems
Use only *Regulated* RCR-V3 rated at 3V. As long as these don't exceed 3.5V, it will be safe. Note that even two new Energizer AA Lithiums, which are recommended by Pentax, can deliver voltage as high as more than 3.6V.
06-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

"BS"

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
This is nothing but Bull S**t.
I have used Eneloop batteries and also the Ray-O-Vac hybrid for the past two years. I am constantly getting anywhere form 800 to 1000 shots per charge and that is with SR on and using the view screen. I have never had a problem with the AF being slow in the K100 until the batteries are almost gone. As far as making a camera Heavy?????? Where the hell did this come from. Eneloop are no heaver than any other AA batteries.
My biggest question here is Where do you come up with your information and do you really believe your own BS.
I think the BS you suggested is that you couldn't even use a weight to weigh the difference in weights between 4 AA rechargeables against other Lithium batteries, or, simply, doesn't the weights of those have been specified. Go figure.

If one cannot compare the simplest fact like weight (in grams, I think? May I ask you?), I think his comments about AF speed is..!?

06-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok I do indeed have a DC in port, not looked under the flap before...

Right I am NOT going to use CR-V3 batteries....

what should i use?
can we agree?
eneloop or not?
Ni-MH or lithium?

this thread is confusing me now...
06-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

If you like confusion, keep reading Rice High posting. That's confusion on a high level. As far as I know, any good lithium-ion or metal hybide batteries, no matter what brand (just don't get unknown batteries) will do a decent job.
06-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

what should i use?
can we agree?
eneloop or not?
Ni-MH or lithium?

Two choices . . . well, three really.

1. CR-V3 batteries are fine and work well. For me, they are too expensive considering the options. A set came with my two Ds bodies, and after they depleted, I went the AA route.

2. Do you want to be environmentally friendly? If so, the Sanyo Eneloop batteries are your best choice.

3. If not, the Energizer Lithium e2 are your best choice.

Me? I have some Eneloops, but find the longevity and convenience (of not having to recharge); I use Lithiums. Best thing about that is that after a set of lithiums no longer have enough power to run the camera, I can use them in my cordless mouse or other electronic device for quite awhile until they are totally depleted.

It's not really all that confusing. Use up the rest of your alkaline batteries, then go with either Eneloops or Lithiums.
06-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
For normal recording in warmer weather, CR-V3 batteries will give you around 700 recordings at 23C but performance drops drastically as the weather gets colder down to 300 exposures at 0C. If you are dealing with extreme temperature variation, lithium has a much better tolerance for cold...660 recordings at 23C to 520 at 0C. NiMH rechargeable range from 430 down to 350. All of this is normal recording without flash so drop 30-40 % for using 100% flash. Of course all my figures are from the K100D Super manual. Living in the deep south where temperature is not that extreme (well it is but on the upper end not the lower) I use the CR-V3 batteries.

CW
All the CRV-3's I've used were lithium and lasted for several months (I don't take lots of shots) up to around 1200-1400 shots. I'm not out in zero degree temperatures, though. It's hard to imagine that it would drop from over a thousand shots to a few hundred at low temperatures, unless you left the camera out in the cold for several hours.
06-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
As far as I know, any good lithium-ion or metal hybide batteries, no matter what brand (just don't get unknown batteries) will do a decent job.
Agreed, stay away from alkyline except in emergencies. Lithium or hybrid NiMH are your best bets.
06-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #29

what should i use?
can we agree?
eneloop or not?
Ni-MH or lithium?

Lithiums if you don't want to recharge and you use your camera sporadically

Non-Eneloops rechargables if you are definitely going to shoot a few hundred shots on a specific day

Eneloops if you want the lithium advantage, but don't want to throw away batteries

not all of us use the same batteries so chose the one that suits you the most, but we all agree, ANYTHING BUT ALKALINE!

and if you don't want to be confused, don't listen to Ricehigh. I'm suprised why his trolling hasn't gotten him banned yet....
06-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #30

what should i use?
can we agree?
eneloop or not?
Ni-MH or lithium?

Nice and simple, buy the Eneloops, buy a good charger made by Maha, LaCrosse, etc. and be happy. Here is an nice kit from Thomas Distributing:

Thomas Distributing LaCrosse Eneloop Combo

These higher end chargers use individual circuits for each battery which is much easier on the batteries. They also have a refresh function which extends the life of each cell and brings them back to almost new condition.
I consistently get over 800 shots on my sets of Eneloops and the charger tells me that they are all holding 2100 mah, even though they are rated at 2000. The bottom line is that the Eneloops are perfect for the K100D. You won't regret this purchase.
I went thru a couple of brands of 2400-2700 mah NiMh before I listened to this forum and bought the Eneloops. They work great in my flashes but not in the camera. The voltage drops too fast and even though they may still have capacity, the camera can't use it.

Bottom Line: Buy the Eneloops, you won't be sorry!!!
Closed Thread