Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #31
Forum Member

Even better: Amazon.com: Sanyo Eneloop Battery Charger w/ 8 AA & 4 AAA Batteries Plus 2 C & 2 D Size Adapter: Electronics

06-06-2008, 02:42 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
Lithiums if you don't want to recharge and you use your camera sporadically
Digital DSLRs and rechargeables are not two separate things IMO.

QuoteQuote:
Non-Eneloops rechargables if you are definitely going to shoot a few hundred shots on a specific day
So, on "a specific day", we all have to carry a specific pack of AA rechargeables!(?)

QuoteQuote:
Eneloops if you want the lithium advantage, but don't want to throw away batteries
Eneloops do NOT have any lithium advantages, no matter in terms of weight nor adequate voltage and power delivered.

QuoteQuote:
not all of us use the same batteries so chose the one that suits you the most, but we all agree, ANYTHING BUT ALKALINE!
The official manual states that Alkalines should be used only in case of emergency.

QuoteQuote:
and if you don't want to be confused, don't listen to Ricehigh. I'm suprised why his trolling hasn't gotten him banned yet....
I think new comers should not listen to biased people like you instead, who only knows to over-defend a brand, don't want to hear any "negative" facts and *must* attack other forum pals who have a "different" opinions but with good grounds. Your grounds?
06-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #33
Not Registered

I use eneloops and it only allows for about 300-500 shoots maximum. I have 6 sets of them and all of they behave pretty much the same. I dont think that it is the optimal system for the camera but I would say that I prefer it over propietary batteries, particularly when traveling in places where you cant use the battery charger.
06-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Got that same exact item from Costco when they had them on sale last year, or was it earlier this year? Pretty good bargain. I had actually purchased this set from Amazon several months previously.

Amazon.com: Sanyo Eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargable Batteries w/ Charger: Electronics

06-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

$35 for a kit with 8 AA and 4 AAA batteries and a charger?

The charger is going to be a junky one that doesn't do independent charging channels.

I STRONGLY reccommend a good charger such as one from Maha or LaCrosse.
06-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #36

wow, picking on little old me, and no one else. bored, are we? or just picking on one new target because everyone else had told you to bugger off?

I could explain myself, and how i use a mix of Eneloops, Lithiums and Standard NiMHs to you, but you're just a dick, and not worth any more of my time. go back to masturbating over measurements, the rest of us can continue to shoot.

you've shown clear bias towards canon. i haven't shown any bias here. hell, why don't you look at the K200D thread, for someone so "obviously" biased, I WAS CONTEMPLATING SWITCHING TO CANON.

for the record, after holding a 40D today, and looking at the K to EOS adapters, i still am.

If anything, if you really wanted to help the newbie, instead of tearing down other posts, you could suggest ways to help him get more battery life. clearly, that's not on your agenda. this forum is full of wonderful people that love to help others. shame one solitary person has to wreck it....
06-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #37

for everyone else, OP included, Rice has set up a perfect example for why i use eneloops, lithiums, and standard NiMH batteries (though i predict that baka-chan would then tell me never to mix batteries....)

To PentaxPZ:
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Digital DSLRs and rechargeables are not two separate things IMO.
I'm sure rice believes "Digital Digital Single Lens Reflex" cameras have internal batteries that don't come out. this is wrong. all DSLR batteries are removable. Actually, i've yet to see a decent still camera (SLR or otherwise) that doesn't have a removable battery

Now, i do use my camera almost every single day. i may take 1, 2, 5, 20, 100, 15 or no shots with it. but if i want to use it, i don't want to have to wait to charge my batteries. the Lithium AA batteries means that it's ready to shoot when i want it. for play, testing, impromptu shots, documentation. whatever the reason, the Lithium batteries means i can pick up my camera whenever i want and shoot.....

So, on "a specific day", we all have to carry a specific pack of AA rechargeables!(?)
..... however, on the 28th & 29th, i have a photoshoot. it's a date set in stone. this is when i swap out the Lithiums, and use NiMH batteries for the whole day.

If I know there's going to be a shoot "on a specific day". i recharge my NiMH batteries the day/night before, use them on that day, then put them back in other AA stuff i use (flashes mainly), and the Lithiums go back into the camera. It's like charging any other camera's battery before something like a wedding or a birthday party, or something like that.

Eneloops do NOT have any lithium advantages, no matter in terms of weight nor adequate voltage and power delivered.
I am, however, lazy sometimes. when i do run out of charge on my Lithium batteries (this generally happens with an impromtpu photoshoot, which my friends love springing on me. ) a set of 4 charged eneloops are always in my camera bag for backup. They're also in my flash as i don't always use that. the great thing about eneloops is that they lose so little battery charge over time, unlike standard NiMH AAs that will be at no charge at the end of the month. they don't give me as much power, partially because they're not as powerful, and partially because they have discharged a little over time. but it's generally enough to get me through the shoot and until i have time to go to the shops to get a new set of Lithiums

But that's just me

If, however, you wanted to have the convenience of being able to shoot whenever you like and not worry too much about battery self drain (Standard NiMH), Lack of shots (Alkaline), adding to the waste problem (Lithiums) and the cost problem of buying disposable batteries time and time again (Lithiums and Alkaline), Eneloops are great. Keep a charged set in your camera. it'll be ready for you when you do use your camera. you don't have to wait to recharge the batteries because they've discharged over a short time.

For the record, the only thing that rice was right about is that NiMH is a little heavier than Lithium batteries. How much heavier?

My Sanyo 2700mAH batteries weight 116 grams and my Energiser Lithium AAs are 56 grams. Are you really going to notice 60 grams? on a 1.45 Kilogram setup (*ist DS + Tamron 18-200+ AF540FGZ), i don't. Alkalines are, for the record, 90 grams...

06-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
$35 for a kit with 8 AA and 4 AAA batteries and a charger?

The charger is going to be a junky one that doesn't do independent charging channels.

I STRONGLY reccommend a good charger such as one from Maha or LaCrosse.
Well this kit is worth it for the batteries alone. Not to mention I rarely (if ever) have the need to charge one battery.
06-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #39
Veteran Member

*sigh*

ricehigh, you're a ****. go away.

---

as to the issue at hand, go with eneloops.
06-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I highly recommend thomas-distributing.com

I use rechargable RCRV3 that are regulated to 3V. Moby power brand. I have been using for over a year. The several point and shoot cameras and video cameras I have had over the past five years, have all frustrated me with the need to always have spare batteries on hand.

The K100D+RCRV3's has me thinking about photography, not batteries. I keep a spare set in the bag. and am always a little surprised to have to change them out. I never worry about a weekend trip without a fresh charge etc... I can let my bag sit for a week or two, and then shoot my sons award ceremony or whatever with out worry and without frustration.

I dont know how many shots I get on a charge because its so many that I dont have the attention span to figure it out.

I also have Eneloops which I use in various other stuff (like my new GPS) but I feel I am constantly charging them.

The nice thing is that the eneloops can sit and keep the charge. Hybrio hybrids are similar.

Thomas-Distirbuting has great values and you can trust that you will get what you order. I have seen some forum posts about ebay batteries that claimed to be regulated RCRV3-s that werernt regulated to 3V and damaged equipment.

I agree about a quality charger. I bought a MAHA that resurected an old camcorder battery with its discharge and recondition modes.

p.s. I am ignoring Ricehighs posts, but I am disturbed by others here that are stooping below his level by calling names. Can we please keep the tone and language civil? If I wanted to read dpreview I would...but I dont, so I am here instead.

If you feel inclined to inform new posters of the history and value of Ricehighs posts, please feel free. But I think we are all better served by avoiding arguments with him. I put little value in his posts, and will likely not exchange post either. I dont see that there is anything to be gained by these exchanges.
06-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
If you feel inclined to inform new posters of the history and value of Ricehighs posts, please feel free. But I think we are all better served by avoiding arguments with him. I put little value in his posts, and will likely not exchange post either. I dont see that there is anything to be gained by these exchanges.
Amen. One can always add him to an ignore list.
06-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #42

kmccanta, do tell me more about these regulated CRV3 batteries. Will they suit me as replacements for Lithium AAs given the way i use my camera intermittantly?

(i notice they don't ship to tasmania... not a problem for me, but why )
06-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #43
Veteran Member

...snip.
p.s. I am ignoring Ricehighs posts, but I am disturbed by others here that are stooping below his level by calling names. Can we please keep the tone and language civil? If I wanted to read dpreview I would...but I dont, so I am here instead...snip
I agree. The crude anatomical analogies are really out of place here in our little "Friendly Pentax Discussion Community." If you're tired of RH, just put his posts on your "Ignore" list and spare yourself (and us), please.
06-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Whilst you call people to ignore me, it happened that you and me agreed totally and told exactly the same things on this subject. So?
06-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Lithium AA
Closed Thread