Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Maybe a way to better understand is to compare the philosophy behind each camera line:

The pro line (K5, K5-II, K5-IIs, K3) is made for photographers. Professionnals or advanced amateurs. They are more well build, more robust/heavy are designed to take more photos before a malfunction. Shutter of K5/K5/K5-IIs is given for 100 000 shoots. Shutter for K3 is given for 200000 shoots. The ergonomics is made for advanced use so more button for direct access to functions, top LCD screen to remind of the key settings, more user modes, a few more advanced features and also higher burst more (more frames per second), braketing of 5 frame etc.

Then there the entry level camera this is the K30/K50/K-S2 line. This is really the pro camera but a bit more limited. Less buttons overall, no top screen, less features or not as impressive characteristics than the pro camera of the same era. Pentax still provide a good build, but the shutter is given for 50000 photos, half or one fourth of the pro camera. They also get features more toward beginers like scene mode and for the latest K-S2 there is the screen that you can orient.

Then the K-S1 is more like a special/fun camera. It the same level of quality overall as K30/K50/K-S2 but it not targeted to fit the classic photographers with all the classic stuff, just less stuffed than the pro line. The K-S1 is using an innovative ergonomics to try to please users coming from mobile phones/tablets. In exchange you loose the second wheel and the WR (resistance to water and dust).

Last edited by Nicolas06; 03-31-2015 at 04:35 PM.
03-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #32
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I've not seen an definitive claim for improved image quality of the K-S1 over the K-30/50.
That was what I thought too until I re-read the PF in-depth review of the K-S1 (linked above but here it is again): Pentax K-S1 Review - Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews It's pretty comprehensive, and pretty definitive.

The only situtation in which the K-50 was ahead in comparison with the K-S1 was in jpgs in low light/high ISO, where images had less noise. But even that advantage was cancelled out by shooting RAW and reducing the noise in PP; then the K-S1 images pulled ahead because they had greater detail.

In fact the K-S1 wasn't far behind the K-3 in image quality: "A lot of the time the two cameras come very close to each other, but in harsh lighting and at very high ISOs, the flagship triumphs".

My view now is that the K-S2 could turn out to be a cracker of a camera. Same high-quality sensor as the K-S1 (and also no AA filter), without the compromise in features (back to two wheels and WR), and the bonus of an articulating LCD (I would love that for shooting flowers and other things from close to the ground using live view). By the end of the year, when the price has dropped, it will be really tempting. Especially if it is available in a bundle with the new 16-85 lens.

Last edited by Des; 03-31-2015 at 07:40 PM.
03-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quote from the review Des mentioned:

Compared to 16-megapixel Pentax K-50, the K-S1 is a considerable upgrade in terms of image quality. Thanks to a higher resolution and lack of a low-pass filter images will be sharper and details will be clearer, giving you more room to crop when needed.
04-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #34

Spent some time this afternoon in a camera shop handling the K50, K-S2 and the K3. I have previously handled the K-S1. I currently own a K5ll and a K50.

They all have their merits. The K-S1, K-S2 and the K3 are definitely the more sophisticated but in different ways. Tests show that they can all produce higher resolution pictures with more room for cropping. Somehow though I felt that the K50 and the K5ll were more user friendly. I also found them more comfortable to hold than the K-S1 and the K-S2. The K50 is the lighter and can optionally use AA batteries. However exposure choices require more use of the Info Screen. The K5ll is the heavier but, I think, balances better with heavier lenses. It also has more dials and buttons for exposure choices as well as top LCD and the option for a (vertical) grip that can optionally hold either AA batteries or a Lithium one.

Between the K-S1, K-S2 and the K50 I would choose the K50. But then I very rarely take video, I am not a fan of WIFi and Social Media and selfies are out (I do not like my picture being taken, not even by myself!) and I can live without the extra four mega pixels and optional no anti-aliasing for a wee while longer as I take mainly Jpegs (I think!). THe K50 is a good camera to grow up with. It is excellent value for money at the moment. When you need a fuller featured model, it would be worth keeping as a backup.

04-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
The K50 is the lighter and can optionally use AA batteries.
Batteries is a thing to consider: K5, K5-II, K5-IIs and K3 have 2-3 time more autonomy with their batteries. In the field a genuine Pentax batterie would be enough for a whole weekend and when shooting even quite a lot, I only needed to recharge every 3-4 days. With a space battery, this is really comfortable.

If you plan to go on a place without much autonomy, you can buy more spare batterie, ensure they are fully charged and you can go for a few weeks without any power source.
04-03-2015, 05:53 AM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
Everyone has been very helpful.