Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Choices

I have narrowed my choices to either a K50 or KS1, Leaning more towards a K50. Which camera would have the features for growth?

03-28-2015, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoHeron Quote
Which camera would have the features for growth?
What do you mean by "growth"?

Despite the radically different look there is surprisingly little difference in the specifications between them. K-S1 has 20mp sensor the k-50 has 16mp. The k-50 has 2 control wheels the k-s1 only has 1. k-s1 can tether using the FluCard, k-50 cannot. K-s1 has HDMI out, k-50 does not. Other than that it appears to be mostly body style. Both are mid range cameras that lack high end features, but supply more than enough to keep most photographers going for years.

Personally if I had to choose I would go with the k-50, for the two control wheels. But that is just me, I've learned to use both wheels automatically and not having them would be an issue, for me.

What features do you think you need to "grow" into?
03-28-2015, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
By growth I assume the OP is talking about a camera that doesn't hold your hand but challenges you and rewards your time and effort.
If you want growth, you gotta go
with the dslrs who offer the most buttons and switches. I'm partly joking but personally the best decision I've made was to jump straight into a k20d, ( spending time with) a medium-advanced dslr made me a better photographer. My advice, shoot for a K5/ii/s it will be intimidating at first but you'll be a better photographer as a result.

Last edited by Stavri; 03-28-2015 at 04:22 PM.
03-28-2015, 04:44 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

In truth, there is very little wrong with the K-S1, especially if you can get it at a knockdown price. I think the results are better than the K30 and the K5, both of which I also have.

However, the K50 does have WR, which can be useful and reassuring. If you aren't basing your decision on the need for WR, I would try to handle both cameras, and choose on the basis of how it feels in your hand, as both will give you good results and hours or years of fun, and both are amazing value right now.

03-28-2015, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
choose on the basis of how it feels in your hand,
+1 wise words.
03-29-2015, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
choose on the basis of how it feels in your hand
Therein lies the problem, at least from what I can tell. None of the local camera shops around me deal in Ricoh/Pentax. It seems like an online-only proposition.

*edited*
My original response was longer, but it detracted from the OP's topic.

Last edited by lightbox; 03-29-2015 at 12:30 AM.
03-29-2015, 06:01 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I want to able to grow into a camera and delve into its less frequently used settings to be creative.

03-29-2015, 08:38 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoHeron Quote
I want to able to grow into a camera and delve into its less frequently used settings to be creative.
Most settings are for function rather than creativity - such as 1/3 or 1/2 steps for ISO adjustment...

Shutter, aperture, ISO, lens, composition. That is your creativity.
03-29-2015, 11:45 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

It's been 8 years since I made the jump from film to a DSLR and I currently own a K10D and K5. I'm amazed at how few of all those features that so many people consider important I ever use. I am mostly concerned with the ergonomics of any camera body I own. My camera pretty much stays in Av and all I ever change is the ISO and AF modes and sometimes the metering mode and EV if conditions warrant. I want my controls available on buttons and dials without having to scroll through any menus. For that reason, I would choose the K50 over the KS1 with little hesitation as I despise scrolling through menus and want as many controls handy on the camera body as possible. The K50 is also weather sealed which is a big plus. I'm sure both are fine cameras but the K50 is much closer to what I am used to using. Since I shoot manually quite a bit, having the 2 dials is a big plus.
03-29-2015, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
It's been 8 years since I made the jump from film to a DSLR and I currently own a K10D and K5. I'm amazed at how few of all those features that so many people consider important I ever use. I am mostly concerned with the ergonomics of any camera body I own. My camera pretty much stays in Av and all I ever change is the ISO and AF modes and sometimes the metering mode and EV if conditions warrant. I want my controls available on buttons and dials without having to scroll through any menus. For that reason, I would choose the K50 over the KS1 with little hesitation as I despise scrolling through menus and want as many controls handy on the camera body as possible. The K50 is also weather sealed which is a big plus. I'm sure both are fine cameras but the K50 is much closer to what I am used to using. Since I shoot manually quite a bit, having the 2 dials is a big plus.
+1 ^^^ very wise words. Buttons and geegaws are all fine, but in the field Av mode and get the focus right is what brings home the good stuff.
03-29-2015, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, you won't find creativity in the camera, you have to find that in yourself. However, understanding the basics of exposure and how changing the settings affects the image will make the camera a tool, rather than a hindrance, for your creativity.

The two cameras you're looking at are very similar in their feature sets, so none of them will hold you back in that sense. For me good ergonomics is a key factor - if the camera is uncomfortable to hold and to use, well, I won't enjoy using it. So, if at all possible, find a shop that carries both cameras so you can try them in your hand.

(I know I wouldn't want a camera without two control wheels, though.)
03-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I understand the camera is the tool, it is how you use the tool to make the best image. Everyone has been very helpful in answering my questions., thank you..
03-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I also think you'd want the 2 wheels for your camera this really is invaluable in term of efficancy, control and ergonomics. More buttons is also better overall, you might never need them all or don't care but if we speak of "grow", then having more buttons and more modes is something that help make your camera practical and a good tool.

So I'd say like stavri a K5/K5-II/K5-IIs (pro line with more buttons) or a K50/K30 (entry level line but with 2 wheels well made still and lighter).
03-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I also think you'd want the 2 wheels for your camera this really is invaluable in term of efficancy, control and ergonomics. More buttons is also better overall, you might never need them all or don't care but if we speak of "grow", then having more buttons and more modes is something that help make your camera practical and a good tool.

So I'd say like stavri a K5/K5-II/K5-IIs (pro line with more buttons) or a K50/K30 (entry level line but with 2 wheels well made still and lighter).
Totally agree for stills.

The cameras mentioned above are also weather resistant. They all also have a larger grip then the K-S1 and, in the opinion of many coming from older PENTAX DSLR's, a more ergonomic one. This coupled with their extra weight makes them better I think for use with 450gm plus lenses. If however you think you will be doing a lot of video then the K-S1 has its merits.

A lot however depends on your budget and how soon you need your DSLR. If you need it now then, from your selection, I would probably choose the K50. If you could wait a bit longer for the K-S2 price to reduce (it's bit expensive at the moment being a new model) this may be a better choice for you. It has everthing and more than the K-S1 It is weather resistant, has two wheels and has a large and more contoured grip.

Incidentally, where are you coming from: smart phone, family compact, enthusiasts compact, bridge camera, film camera,etc.? Your answer may allow others who have made such a decision in the past to give you the benefit of there experiences.
03-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
Totally agree for stills.

The cameras mentioned above are also weather resistant. They all also have a larger grip then the K-S1 and, in the opinion of many coming from older PENTAX DSLR's, a more ergonomic one. This coupled with their extra weight makes them better I think for use with 450gm plus lenses. If however you think you will be doing a lot of video then the K-S1 has its merits.

A lot however depends on your budget and how soon you need your DSLR. If you need it now then, from your selection, I would probably choose the K50. If you could wait a bit longer for the K-S2 price to reduce (it's bit expensive at the moment being a new model) this may be a better choice for you. It has everthing and more than the K-S1 It is weather resistant, has two wheels and has a large and more contoured grip.

Incidentally, where are you coming from: smart phone, family compact, enthusiasts compact, bridge camera, film camera,etc.? Your answer may allow others who have made such a decision in the past to give you the benefit of there experiences.
I have had a Nikon DSLR in the past. Currently just using a Canon powerzoom point and shot.. I do not use my smartphone for pictures. I have still my Pentax Super m film camera, which I used for years..