Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dust

I just wanted to share a positive experience with the dust reduction on my K10D. A couple of weekends ago, I noticed a few specs on some images. I looked at the lenses - nothing. RATS! on the sensor I am sure. I turned on the dust reduction and did it a few times. Still had the dust on. Then I figured, what the heck - turn on the startup action. I have had that on for about 2 weeks now, and the dust is gone. I have shut it back off, as I imagine that shaking the sensor is not 'good' for it, maybe not bad, but surely not good. If it comes back, I will turn it back on for a while.

Is this what others are doing, or do you leave it on all the time?

Scott

06-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D's dust reduction was one of the big points that made me upgrade from the K100D. I tried numerous cleaning methods (including professional ones) to get rid of dust from the K100D sensor, and was disappointed each time.

With my K10D, I see the dust, I go to sensor cleaning mode, I blow a few times with a Giotto Rocket, I check the image, and most (if not all) of the dust is gone.

I'm so fussy about dust, I keep the dust reduction function on at each startup.
06-05-2008, 05:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I wish they had it as an option as a shut-down action rather than start-up. I don't want to wait a few extra seconds for my camera to be ready to use.
06-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was stoked when I got the K100D Super over the K100D with the extra dust cleaning action.

Review: Dust removal systems / sensor cleaning - Pixinfo.com

But if this is to be believed, the whole things a bit of a have. I had start up action on mine for a few weeks but I too turned it off for fear of excessive wear.

Either way, I stuck my cam to F22 out of focus clean wall snap and saw a good 20 odd bits of dust on the sensor. Tried the inbuilt thing didn't do a thing. Cleaned it the good old fashion way and re-did the snap, 1 or 2 bits if that.

06-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I know this is going to sound crazy but I swear it's true. For the first 3 months of ownership I was convinced the dust removal was worthless. I left the dust reduction on every start up and still had to use a blower all the time. Since then I've used the blower once in 15 months. Still leave the dust reduction on every startup. It might be I've become more carefull when changing lenses which I do a lot.

Ken
06-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
I just wanted to share a positive experience with the dust reduction on my K10D. A couple of weekends ago, I noticed a few specs on some images. I looked at the lenses - nothing. RATS! on the sensor I am sure. I turned on the dust reduction and did it a few times. Still had the dust on. Then I figured, what the heck - turn on the startup action. I have had that on for about 2 weeks now, and the dust is gone. I have shut it back off, as I imagine that shaking the sensor is not 'good' for it, maybe not bad, but surely not good. If it comes back, I will turn it back on for a while.

Is this what others are doing, or do you leave it on all the time?

Scott
Just a curious question: Why would you look for dust on your lens if you are seeing specks of dust on your pictures?