Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Pentax K200D excesive battry drain

Hello all, I purchased a (cheap) used K200D that looked OK with less than 10,000 exposures. I suspect the reason it was sold is the fact it will drain fully charged cells in less than 96 hours. From my search this model has exibited this symptom since introduction. If anyone has objective opinions of knowledge I would be glad to accept it. For those with only subjective opinions that battry A might be better battrey B please don't respond. Those opinions are of no value or interest so don't waist our time. Thanks D.D.

04-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of batteries? Alkalines? I highly recommend eneloop AAs.
04-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From the K200 that I own, it requires batteries with sufficiently high voltage because its low bat threshold is too high and even batteries with greasy contacts is sufficient to reduce how much of the battery charge is usable. Batteries with low self discharge such as eneloop provide better use time, rubbing battery poles against dry clothes/alcohol also give better usable battery capacity. Well, that the experience that I had with the K200 making around 30000 shots in various conditions (hot, humid, rain etc), and it is still working, it makes good images at low iso. I liked better the colors of this CCD then the CMOS of K-5/K-3.
04-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Donniealso Quote
For those with only subjective opinions that battry A might be better battrey B please don't respond. Those opinions are of no value or interest so don't waist our time.
You'll likely find a less harsh tone will serve you better.
As the saying goes, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

04-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You really should test this using single-use Lithium batteries, as recommended in your owner's manual. I recall from some other threads that some of these older bodies don't get along well with Alkalines.

As a point of reference, my *istDS has been sitting in a closet with Lithium CR2 (I think) lithium cells, for over six months, and still shows a full charge.
04-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
You really should test this using single-use Lithium batteries, as recommended in your owner's manual. I recall from some other threads that some of these older bodies don't get along well with Alkalines.

As a point of reference, my *istDS has been sitting in a closet with Lithium CR2 (I think) lithium cells, for over six months, and still shows a full charge.
My battery drain problem completely vanished following this path. They are more expensive, but last a long time.
04-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Energizer Lithium ultra lasted at least 500 actuations and near that in views as well over a period of a year . My K200d low battery threshold very high for alkaline and rechargeables to the point that they were useless. For what its worth you old fart!

04-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
I will apologize and try to refrain from asking further question. I often find post of interest and will continue to only observe. After all I have only been a photographer for sixty odd years and have little to offer others. However in explanation for my ( USING VINEGAR RATHER THAN HONEY) when the last fifteen years of employment the first mistake would have been the last. Where the enterence examination you are given 100 figer prints and 4,000 to compair them too knowing they may not all there, Then being alowed to say only three times I can't find it and anything less than 100% is a failure. You tend to have little patience with good meaning people that offer suggestions about something they know nothing about. The four answers provided support my possition. As none of them have any objectivity whatsoever! I have found this on similar sites where self proclaimed experts tell you some thing you observed repeatedly does not occur Then instead of observing it, they keep telling new comers it does not occur..There are so many people that insit they have PROOF of their point of view but only they can see it. please enjoy this interest past time I shall try to shutup. D.D.
04-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Its not power drain :
Its very much Voltage level .. When your batteries reach a certain voltage the camera says batteries are empty ..
I have had a few AA powered pentax cameras .. Most were decent ..
The istD I have now is very sensitive to the voltage level , even thought there is still plenty of power in the batteries , its that voltage level thing . ( issue )
Im just lucky for two reasons :

I have nimh batteries that recharge to 1.5v ( excellent ) , and I have a battery grip .. So the body has the good nimh , and the grip gets Alkaline batteries for their Voltage levels .
K200D takes a grip . so put Nimh in the body , and Alkaline in the grip ...
Also , check to see what batteries the camera is set to use ( I do believe the K200D can be told what batteries are in use )
04-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

..... You tend to have little patience with good meaning people.....
There is a plethera of "good meaning people" here. Probably more than on any forum you will ever visit. If you have no patience for that, well, that's unfortunate.

After all I have only been a photographer for sixty odd years and have little to offer others.
I believe you.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-03-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Closed Thread