Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bendict Arnold at your service.

Greetings,

Yup, I have decided to become a turncoat, jump ship or whatever, and join the group of digital camera owners. My question is, I am considering a K100d camera, and need to know if my Pentax-A, M primes and Takumar F 70-210 (what a great lens) are compatible with the k100d. Thanks for any info.

Regards,

Tony

04-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes. All K-mount lenses will work with the K100D with certain exceptions.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
04-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The answer is a qualified yes. All the Pentax lenses M42 with the adapter, the K, M, A, F, FA, DA, DAL, DFA, etc. Except for the SMD lenses. These lenses have the AF motor in the lens, and thus needs the SMD tabs in the mount - which the K100D does not have. The K100D Super and ALL of the succeeding camera models support SMD lenses, but not the K100 and the *ist models. All Pentax models (digital) also have the in body AF screw drive motor.

The K100D is a very nice camera - I still have mine, with the CCD sensor. It does have some disadvantages - in that its going on 10 years old. The good part is that they can be had for a song. You might want to consider a newer camera. The K5 goes for about $300, and has many more features, and a CMOS sensor.

04-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The K5 goes for about $300, and has many more features, and a CMOS sensor.

Or the K-x, which goes for less than $200, has twice the megapixels, and supports the SDM lenses. Runs on 4 AA batteries just like the K100D.

04-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Or the K-x, which goes for less than $200,
+1 on the k-x. Sweet little camera, I gave mine to my son and he is using it yet. I don't think it would be much more than the k100d and a lot more camera.

---------- Post added 04-04-15 at 04:11 PM ----------

And why Benedict Arnold?? Not like you are buyin another brand You can still keep your film gear and use digital as well, lots of folks here do that. The same lenses, (mostly) fit both on Pentax.
04-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The answer is a qualified yes. All the Pentax lenses M42 with the adapter, the K, M, A, F, FA, DA, DAL, DFA, etc. Except for the SMD lenses. These lenses have the AF motor in the lens, and thus needs the SMD tabs in the mount - which the K100D does not have. The K100D Super and ALL of the succeeding camera models support SMD lenses, but not the K100 and the *ist models. All Pentax models (digital) also have the in body AF screw drive motor.

The K100D is a very nice camera - I still have mine, with the CCD sensor. It does have some disadvantages - in that its going on 10 years old. The good part is that they can be had for a song. You might want to consider a newer camera. The K5 goes for about $300, and has many more features, and a CMOS sensor.

Just to clarify, I am pretty sure they meant SDM in this post. DC lenses also are not useable on the k100D. Essentially any lens with a focus motor that lacks a screw drive well not work on that body, those lenses are technically KAF3 mount lenses.
04-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a K100D as well as later cameras and while I liked the K100D, I wouldn't recommend it now unless it was dirt cheap.

The lack of dual e-dials means you use menus more than with later cameras. If you can't go to a K-5, maybe a K-7 (which I also have) might suit. For me, the only things lacking with the K-7 cf. the K-5 is lack of GPS support and lower ISO before noise is noticeable. I like the fact that both cameras have the same control layout so I can swap from camera to camera without thinking about it.

My daughter has the K100D now. I swapped it to her to get my *istD back. (I like it for TTL flash support).

04-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #8

The K5 goes for about $300, and has many more features, and a CMOS sensor.

You'd be fortunate to find one (in good condition) at that price. Not saying you won't, because I bought my K5 for that price. On Ebay in near mint condition. But I spent a long time looking before I found that deal and it was flying under the radar for some reason. Most of them are going for at least $350 on up to $425 used, body only (depending on condition and accessories).

That being said, even at $350 it's a bargain. I've had the Kx (sold it to help pay for the K5) and still own the Kr.......both are excellent for entry level. But the K5 is in a different realm completely. Buy one if you can. It's the best cheaper alternative to today's offerings.
04-05-2015, 01:07 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seasoned PF members: Maybe the OP is getting his K100D for free or dirt cheap. Lets not discourage him after picking our brand and joining us because we think his choice in camera isn't up to whatever standard. Lets not forget a lot of us on here chose to buy that same camera at retail cost back when it was Pentax's latest.

Tonytee: Though the K100D isn't my favorite camera (I owned one), it is fully capable of taking great pictures, especially in bright conditions, with legacy lenses attached. If you do go the K100D route I hope you enjoy it and please do share with us the images you create with it.
04-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with the above wholeheartedly.
04-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yep, I also agree that pretty much all the legacy Pentax dSLRs are worth a try as a start, but I wouldn't limit the search to a single model. Set a range of prices you would consider paying, and then consider the options available at your particular price point. Of course, I'm still hoping to sell my K20D, so I'm partial to that alternative!
04-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a cult following for the older CCD sensors. Very nice colors in good light. A K100D is as good a place to start as any, esp if you already have one.