Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

A few questions about ISO, DR and Noise Reduction

The camera is the K20D

1- Auto Iso:

How good is the camera in auto Iso, let´s say between 100 and 400 or even 800? Do you think it is better to control it manually every time?
I guess my question is when does the camera decide to raise the ISO value? Is there a certain value that is the limit for the camera to raise the Iso? At which shutter speed will the ISO automatically changes?

2 – Dynamic Range:

Is it worth to have it on all the time? We all know its benefits, but what is the downside?
Iso 100 is not a possibility with DR on, but many confirm that the K20D is better in Iso 200????

3 – Noise Reduction:

How effective is Noise reduction with the K20D?
What are your settings in the custom menu for the noise reduction option with high Iso (which of the 4 parameters did you choose?) and slow shutter speeds (on or auto?)

06-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

1: in "auto ISO", the camera keeps the ISO as low as possible, taking into account the focal lenght and the scene brightness to give you a speed that will be "hand holdable". Just remember that "hand holdable" isn't the same for everybody, so Pentax erred on the safe side.
2: Extended dynamic range increases noise in shadows, so I use it when the conditions are "extreme"
3: I find noise reduction in camera pretty good, but that is very subjective, and the informal testing I've done don't show a big difference between weakest and strong, so, when I use it, I generally leave it on "weak".
06-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for auto-iso I reckon Pentax more or lesss stick to the 1/focal length rule, but not taking into account any 1.5x "crop factor". So once you should go slower than 1/100 on a 100mm lens, it will instead bump up the ISO.
06-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really wish Pentax would follow Nikon's lead and allow you to program the shutter speed that Auto ISO kicks in. It just makes the feature so much more usable.