Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

Iso setting not stored when changing program in the dial: K7

I couldn't find a specific K7 forum so I try here.
I've noticed this behaviour long time ago, but never bother too much since I was mainly shooting outdoor-landscape photography at daylight, so Iso settings usually low and constant.
But now I have to shoot for an event (Acrobatic dance) indoor, and this things annoy me a lot.
Basically If I choose program Tv and set 1.6 sec Iso 100 (to create trails), and then I go to Av and set f4 Iso 800 (to freeze the scene), when I go back to Tv, my Iso setting is the one I last used in general, that means Iso 800, while it would be much more convenient for me to have the last used setting on that specific program, that means Iso 100. Is there a setting I can change to have this behaviour?
The only way so far for me is to use USER settings, but that's also limited, since I can store only 1 profile, and since in the dial User is at the exact opposite of Tv, so quite annoying and time consuming to go always back and forth. Thanks!

04-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the ISO is stored as a global setting, unfortunately, so the user mode would be your only option. But at least there's the dedicated ISO button that you can use to change the ISO quickly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've sold my K-7, but it works as the other Pentax dSLR cameras, from the K10D on.

The ISO is, as you note, carried across all (bar one) mode dial settings, such that changing the mode dial does not adjust the ISO.

The sensitivity mode, Sv, is separate from the rest, however, and the ISO set here is maintained until you next use that mode.

See the second paragraph of my earlier post here.
04-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This also annoyed me until I "discovered" TAV mode!

04-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Thingo Quote
The sensitivity mode, Sv, is separate from the rest, however, and the ISO set here is maintained until you next use that mode.

See the second paragraph of my earlier post here.
I've never used Sv before, thanks for pointing out. But I don't thing it would help me much in this case, since I wouldn't have any control over aperture and speed. I might still check is the camera automatically select the widest aperture if I set Program Line "Hi speed priority", in that case it would be a good workaround for this particular situation.

---------- Post added 04-07-15 at 11:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
This also annoyed me until I "discovered" TAV mode!
In my case, while it would have the advantage of not using the program dial, it would still be a lot of messing with settings. I'm looking for a way to just have the settings stored and not changing them each time: maybe the Sv program trick might work.

While I understand that the K7 is a quite old model at the moment and no more support is to be expected, since i't just a software setting, it would have been extremely easy to let the user choose from the menu if they wanted to store Iso settings globally or for each separate program. I don't know if this was implemented in the newer models.

Last edited by phidias81; 04-06-2015 at 07:24 PM.
04-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phidias81 Quote
I don't know if this was implemented in the newer models.
It hasn't changed, but the newer models have 2-3 user modes to make things easier. I guess it's just the manufacturer's preference in this case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: