Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

M (hyper-manuel) and TAV modes

The major difference, to my understanding, between both modes is the ability to have Iso set automatically in TAV mode, while it has to be set manually in M mode.
Nevertheless, I guess setting both aperture and shutter speed is easier in M mode since we get the help of the exposure bar and green button – 3 different options for the green button.
Since I always use aperture as a starting point to change the other values (always used aperture priority with Nikon cameras) I find the second option assigned to the green button very interesting.
Correct me if I´m wrong, but this way M mode behaves as a sort of AV mode with the advantage of creativity control.
So, I set the aperture with the e-dial, press the green button, make necessary adjustments to obtain correct exposure, under or over-exposure. I just love it!
The ability to have exposure locked with the AE-L button is another plus. This will allow M mode to work also as a sort of (P)-Program Mode. Fantastic.

Bottom line, M mode gives you control over creativity (no other mode will), can work as a variant of AV mode and P mode also. So, unless you want Iso to be set automatically, why would someone choose any of the other limiting modes if you almost can have “them all” in one?
Am I missing something?

06-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably not. Whatever works for you is best for you. I use Av for everyday shots, and TAv for sports, and I'm happy too!