Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #1

K5iis and rain

Hey all,
Live in LA and we got rare rain today. Took my K5IIS out with 18-118-135wr and took some pix. For starters.. Didn't realize how nice to not worry about the weather. However, after downloading the pix, camera got kinda weird and wouldn't start consistenly. Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. Pentax battery, I have three. Wondering if anyone has had this happen? Google shows not.

04-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mkquist Quote
Hey all,
Live in LA and we got rare rain today. Took my K5IIS out with 18-118-135wr and took some pix. For starters.. Didn't realize how nice to not worry about the weather. However, after downloading the pix, camera got kinda weird and wouldn't start consistenly. Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. Pentax battery, I have three. Wondering if anyone has had this happen? Google shows not.
How bad was the rain? It's possible for water to get inside the camera if you're unlucky, if the water pressure is excessive, if the seals on the body aren't closed, or if any of the seals are dirty/damaged.

Did you notice any moisture inside the camera? If so, keep the camera near a desiccant (such as a bowl of rice) overnight to see if it's better in the morning.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
How bad was the rain? It's possible for water to get inside the camera if you're unlucky, if the water pressure is excessive, if the seals on the body aren't closed, or if any of the seals are dirty/damaged.

Did you notice any moisture inside the camera? If so, keep the camera near a desiccant (such as a bowl of rice) overnight to see if it's better in the morning.
Well, again it's LA so it was hardly a hard rain and it's supposed to be weather resistant. Light rain in LA is hardly a measure for weather resistance...
04-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've only had the K5 & 18-135 in light rain (no probs) while my son had his 40D in a supermarket bag!!

However my wife's P&S got soaked when a bottle in the same bag leaked.
Took out card & battery, left all openings open and sealed in a ziplock bag with plenty of packets of silica (collected from new purchases)
It took a few days but we got the camera working again, perfectly.

Your situation could be different if a seal was defective. Start the rice/silica treatment as a backup, but contact Pentax re warranty issues.

04-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I've only had the K5 & 18-135 in light rain (no probs) while my son had his 40D in a supermarket bag!!

However my wife's P&S got soaked when a bottle in the same bag leaked.
Took out card & battery, left all openings open and sealed in a ziplock bag with plenty of packets of silica (collected from new purchases)
It took a few days but we got the camera working again, perfectly.

Your situation could be different if a seal was defective. Start the rice/silica treatment as a backup, but contact Pentax re warranty issues.
I'm thinking defective as the K5 is supposed to be weather resistant by design... Thanx
04-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, I would be concerned about that.

I have been in the Philippines many times in typhoon force rain and wind and have never had a problem with my K-30. Check the seals carefully. You don't want water egress to get inside. If you find any, have it sent in for repair.
04-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Yes, I would be concerned about that.

I have been in the Philippines many times in typhoon force rain and wind and have never had a problem with my K-30. Check the seals carefully. You don't want water egress to get inside. If you find any, have it sent in for repair.
Like I said. LA, light rain... I'm sure it's meant for more... Warranty time unfortunately. It's a great camera btw. Upgrading from a KX and just WOW. Everything I've seen as a shortcoming in the K X is gone. At least for me.
04-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #8

Had my k3 out in the rain with the 18-135 on for the first time. What a pleasure to be able to shoot in the rain. I was a bit nervous the whole time I was out, but no complications.