Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 16 mega pixel tests for the D7000 and K-5 are bogus. Resolution values for lenses tested on the D7000 are overstated, and mathematically impossible, as far as I'm concerned ......... and, seeing how the K-5 has a much lighter AA filter to the D7000. I cataloged every lens tested on that site a few years ago for fun, and there are a tonne of anomalies which I put down to photozone fudging the numbers, and this is one of the biggest anomalies. I nowadays don't even bother looking to that site. Some of Photozones tests do not concure with other lens reviewers. Perhaps in the beginning they were honest, then later things changed and they started fudging figures. Probably advertising revenue.

I tend to use Ephotozine and Lenstip now, photozone is a joke.

Ephotozines tests of the DA*16-50 2.8 are bang-on with my 16-50. Plus other lenses I have.

I just hope this new 18-50mm in the HD variant will be sharper. Its usually a matter of you get what you paid for with lenses. The SMC version being effectively $100 in the kit, and the HD version more than double that. There are times I don't want to lug around the 16-50, and want something a lot more compact, portable and discrete, and I'm NOW hoping the HD version will be the one.

Come on Pentax, give us something to get excited about ! (Yeah I know the 645Z and K-S2 won TIPA)

Last edited by zoolander; 04-11-2015 at 01:16 PM.
04-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A noob with a black and yellow strap to wear is happier than a noob with a black and red strap to wear.

That was true as far back as 1973 when my friends were showing off taking photos of bare trees with their fathers' cameras. The Nikon guys were the coolest, then the Canon, then the nerdy guy with the SP-F.

Well, the guy with the TLR and his own darkroom was actually the coolest - but he was too cool to be cool. Even today he's untouchable.
I had a TLR (and still do!) and my own darkroom (don't now unfortunately) -first time I've been cool!
04-11-2015, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well, the guy with the TLR and his own darkroom was actually the coolest - but he was too cool to be cool. Even today he's untouchable.
THIS guy could touch him!

To be honest, if you told me the lens was plain glass and he actually had a Q hidden in there, I'd still respect him.
04-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
The 16 mega pixel tests for the D7000 and K-5 are bogus. Resolution values for lenses tested on the D7000 are overstated, and mathematically impossible, as far as I'm concerned ......... and, seeing how the K-5 has a much lighter AA filter to the D7000. I cataloged every lens tested on that site a few years ago for fun, and there are a tonne of anomalies which I put down to photozone fudging the numbers, and this is one of the biggest anomalies. I nowadays don't even bother looking to that site. Some of Photozones tests do not concure with other lens reviewers. Perhaps in the beginning they were honest, then later things changed and they started fudging figures. Probably advertising revenue.

I tend to use Ephotozine and Lenstip now, photozone is a joke.

Ephotozines tests of the DA*16-50 2.8 are bang-on with my 16-50. Plus other lenses I have.

I just hope this new 18-50mm in the HD variant will be sharper. Its usually a matter of you get what you paid for with lenses. The SMC version being effectively $100 in the kit, and the HD version more than double that. There are times I don't want to lug around the 16-50, and want something a lot more compact, portable and discrete, and I'm NOW hoping the HD version will be the one.

Come on Pentax, give us something to get excited about ! (Yeah I know the 645Z and K-S2 won TIPA)
Not a single valid argument mr. I think you are bogus

Last edited by D1N0; 04-11-2015 at 04:19 PM.
04-12-2015, 02:56 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Haha, that's such a funny image - to have a TLR camera with a Q inside!
04-12-2015, 04:10 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Actually I found the video entertaining. Though i believe they were as unbiased as possible. I was able to view their previous video. I think if I remember correctly it was K5 vs. D7000. They were endorsing Pentax more than Nikon then. I still wouldn't bet on what they were saying. I would depend more on the reviews of professionals.
04-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
THIS guy could touch him!

To be honest, if you told me the lens was plain glass and he actually had a Q hidden in there, I'd still respect him.
I looking as ridiculous (to some) myself at times. I actually find this funny and nobody bothers you

04-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I looking as ridiculous (to some) myself at times. I actually find this funny and nobody bothers you
I would agree, though I seldom shoot with my view camera in an urban setting for fear of being assaulted while under the darkcloth. I guess I need to find a willing assistant to act as lookout.

Steve
04-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would agree, though I seldom shoot with my view camera in an urban setting for fear of being assaulted while under the darkcloth. I guess I need to find a willing assistant to act as lookout.

Steve
Maybe. I dunno. I may tell another story one day though