Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #1
Kiwi Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-S2 verses Nikon D5500 DigitalRev

DigitalRev have just posted a K-S2 v Nikon D5500 comparison review on Youtube.

If you don't like your camera reviews too serious then it is worth a look.

For the DigitalRev team I thought it was actually a pretty fair review for Pentax.

Anyway - enjoy

04-08-2015, 05:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the lens on the ks-2 was in need of some calibration
04-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
Forum Member

Maybe they should have swapped cameras halfway through the review, the difference in image quality could have been down to user error/ability.
I can't believe the new 18-50mm is that bad compared to the Nikon kit lens.
04-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote
I can't believe the new 18-50mm is that bad compared to the Nikon kit lens.
Me neither. The Pentax version has always been the most usable one of amongst the kitlenses.

04-08-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

K-S2 v Nikon D5500

For the DigitalRev team I thought it was actually a pretty fair review for Pentax.

Anyway - enjoy
With the K-3, mechanical SR did not function in video. Did this change for the K-S2? The video sample is quite jittery but I'm not sure the SR is the cause, as they claimed.
04-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, based on the 18-50 first look by PF and based on the other thread about the 18-50, it performs as well as the 18-55 WR which is better than the CaNikon offerings. So it's probably user error on DR's part.
04-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

K-S2 v Nikon D5500

Anyway - enjoy
Yeah I watched it, what a bummer about that lens. I had high hopes that it might be real good, but it looks like it might be a flunky. Thats just not good enough if you ask me.

Whether it was back or front focusing, is irrelevant, it should work right out of the box.

I've got a K-5, K-3 and for fun I bought a Fuji, and the fuji kit lenses are outstanding, and I think Pentax needed to do a lot better than this. The lens needed to be much better than the Nikon's, and the Nikon people should be punching their fist through their hats, and not me.

Its just not good enough, in terms of the competition. Maybe the HD version is better, but somehow I doubt it.

If a discerning buyer walks into a shop and tries out a few different models, they could pick up on the poor sharpness.

I hope I'm wrong.
04-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
With the K-3, mechanical SR did not function in video. Did this change for the K-S2? The video sample is quite jittery but I'm not sure the SR is the cause, as they claimed.
You can see how the video wobbles, that's caused by the SR. Funny thing is this was taken under circumstances that are good for the video SR... the brighter it is, the shorter the shutter speed, the better will video SR look. Mechanical SR will of course _always_ look much better, but video SR could look much worse than it did in this video.

When will Pentax learn...

Could be some front/backfocusing problem? Or a bad sample?

04-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Or maybe Nikon have improved their kitlens....

Here is a comparison with Nikon Canon and Sony. The Nikon looks pretty good.
http://kurtmunger.com/sony__nikon_and_canon_kit_lens_reviewid244.html

When you compare it with the www.photozone.de results (of the non collapsible WR version) and the nikon with stabilisation then you see the Nikon is sharper. The kit lens may be a bit outdated for the current sensors and the story that it is better than the Nikon or Canon Kitlens can be stored in the history file.

Last edited by D1N0; 04-09-2015 at 10:53 AM.
04-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
Forum Member

I still think it's probably user error, the guy who was using the Pentax looked like he'd had too many coffees or something he was just babbling rubbish really and looked a bit hyper to me.
He was probably shaking like a dog sh*****g razor blades :-)
04-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
Kiwi Pentaxian

Original Poster
I still think it's probably user error, the guy who was using the Pentax looked like he'd had too many coffees or something he was just babbling rubbish really and looked a bit hyper to me.
That is pretty normal for him - and is part of his 'persona' on DigitalRev
04-10-2015, 04:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

That may be true, but the technology is still vastly inferior.

With sensor shift based and in lens video stabilization the picture is stabilized before it hits the sensor. What reaches the sensor doesn't have the shakiness... or at least less. Especially fast shaking is bad and ruins the image thanks to the rolling shutter effect, and stabilization is very effective in killing that and giving you a good quality video.

Pentax used to do that in the K-7, K-5, K-x (?), ... but every camera launched after the K-5 (apart from the K-5 II/IIs) used electronic stabilization. What that does is crop the image the sensor records, and move that around. The big issue with that is that the sensor is already recording garbage. The footage is shaken, has rolling shutter effect, and you know what happens when you expose an image when you move the camera? That too. The result will be a stable image... that has all these artifacts going on. It's often times worse than not having it stabilized at all, since the shakiness would mask the issues. Then of course you get a crop, you can't really shoot wide anymore. And in the implementation that Pentax uses they don't use the physical sensors to determine camera movement, so if you put the camera on a tripod, and the subject you shoot moves around, it may try to stabilize the subject. Oh and then there is the issue of not being able to see the frame that you are actually shooting. The display won't show you what you are actually recording, because it is stabilizing.

The reason Pentax gives for this is the noise the SR mechanism makes. However external microphones easily solve this, and the internal microphone is so bad that you wouldn't use it if sound quality matters anyway. And on my K-5 I barely hear the noises anyway, especially when shooting outside of a very silent environment.
04-10-2015, 04:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Pentax used to do that in the K-7, K-5, K-x (?), ...
Yes, the K-x used sensor-shift for video too, I have one here atm from a friend.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The reason Pentax gives for this is the noise the SR mechanism makes. However external microphones easily solve this, and the internal microphone is so bad that you wouldn't use it if sound quality matters anyway. And on my K-5 I barely hear the noises anyway, especially when shooting outside of a very silent environment.
Same with the K-7, hardly hear it during video recording..

But...............

The K-x is TERRIBLE!!! And I now understand why they removed the function from the consumer level bodies, though why they removed it from the K-3 is a mystery.

Listen to this.
04-10-2015, 05:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Fun little episode. They gave Pentax a fair try and listed pros and cons quite well.
I agree that the kit lens is probably not that bad, but from the thumbnail in video I can't diagnose it further (misfocusing, camera shake, dunno). Anyway, its a really affordable kit lens that promises a lot - WR, DC, collapsible.. that alone will make it a worthwhile upgrade from the current kit lens.

And video.. yes, video was never Pentax' forte. Don't know if the problem is the CMOS jello effect, or the SR making it worse, or poor processing (chip, algorithms, codecs).. but it would be a good investment for Pentax to fix this. By now, it is expected that a DSLR can provide a smooth video, at least in daylight.
04-10-2015, 05:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes, the K-x used sensor-shift for video too, I have one here atm from a friend.

Same with the K-7, hardly hear it during video recording..

But...............

The K-x is TERRIBLE!!! And I now understand why they removed the function from the consumer level bodies, though why they removed it from the K-3 is a mystery.

Listen to this.
K x SSSR noise - YouTube

That is terrible! Ok, now I understand. I can hear such noises with my K-5 too, but only with my own ears. The microphone doesn't catch nearly as much... maybe it is further away, better isolated from the SR mechanism? But I would maintain that even in the case of the K-x noise they should give the option. Display a warning message when you select the option in the menu, telling you that the SR mechanism is noisy, and you can only recommend using this function when shooting with an external microphone or when audio does not matter (or a loud environment).

Not every feature is useful in every situation, that's why they are optional. The camera manufacturer can expect that buyers of enthusiast, semi-pro and pro equipment know what they do, and that they will chose the right options for the right situations.

The problem in that video is IMHO the CMOS jello effect being amplified by the electronic SR. If it had mechanical SR, the jello effect would have been gone, and the video would have been at least as stable as the Nikon video. The chip used inside the K-S2 should probably be very similar to the one used in the D5500... both use a Milbeaut made by Fujitsu, though the Nikon one might be modified a bit. In terms of processing capabilities and codec they should be on one level (though Nikon might be making more out of it).

As for the softness that DigiRev criticized Pentax for... it is possible that the Pentax just didn't apply so much sharpening in camera (which I like, I'd rather add it in post if needed). Though Nikon AFAIK does do full sensor readout that is then scaled down by the processor to the 1920x1080 resolution, which helps a lot in getting good quality video. I don't know what Pentax does, though since they use such similar hardware it would be strange if Pentax didn't do it too.