Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Replacing my ist D

I have Pentax film and digital equipment and like the convenience of sharing my film lenses. Want to upgrade to a new digital SLR and like the price and 24 mega pixels of the Nikon D3300. Thoughts on what Pentax digital SLR to buy instead??

04-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any!

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 02:05 PM ----------

Seriously, I can't help you not knowing US prices, but someone will come along who can help!
I'd be happy with any of the current offerings: K3, K5IIs, K50, K-S2.
04-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are aware that your K-mount lenses will not work on the Nikon? Which means additional investment.

See if you can still find a K5/II(s). It's 16MP but I would not consider that a limitation. They are discontinued but were very cheap (more or less the same as the D3300) at the end of their life.
04-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/292662-digitalrev-tv...-vs-d5500.html

04-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Any of the latest releases of entry or mid-level Pentax camera would be miles ahead of the ist D (you probably don't know what you are missing for those years )... plus you can use the same lenses you had before. Unless of course, you think the grass is greener on Nikon land.
04-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbc Quote
I have Pentax film and digital equipment and like the convenience of sharing my film lenses. Want to upgrade to a new digital SLR and like the price and 24 mega pixels of the Nikon D3300. Thoughts on what Pentax digital SLR to buy instead??
Any modern camera will be a massive upgrade. I'd recommend the K-3 if you consider yourself an advanced user, K-S2 for intermediate, or K-50 for beginner.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think the difference between an *istD and a new Pentax may be best described like this:

04-09-2015, 02:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you will be furstrated with the D3xxx series from Nikon. They are very basic and not very comfortable to hold. I would go to the store and check a few cameras out.

But yes, your pentax lenses won't work on nikon's and in fact even older nikon lenses won't work on D3300 (won't autofocus).

If you have Nikon film lenses, then buy a D7xxx or a full frame nikon. If you have Pentax lenses, then buy anything with 16 megapixels or more. The 16 megapixel sensor was one of the first that were done using a different placement of photosites in the chips, which increased the light-gathering ability by some 5-fold, which obviously came with huge image quality improvements. You can basically print Iso 3200 image on let's say 8x10 with pretty good results.
04-09-2015, 03:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree with all above, stay with pentax to use your old lenses, but DO NOT get rid of the *istD if it still works. It has two unique features not supported by the newer cameras, both related to flash control

First, it has both TTL and P-TTL support,mwhihc means you can mix and match older flashes like the AF 500 FTZ with new auto focus lenses, and also you can use newer flashes like the AF540 FGZ on legacy K mount lenses that do not support auto aperture (A setting on the lens).

Second, if you are using off camera high speed sync, it is the only body that can use the built in flash as a master for remote high speed sync. All other bodies require a second shoe mount flash, mounted on the camera to work as master.

It is a great little camera, and at 400 ISO and below works just fine. Even 800 ISO is ok as long a you are more concerned with sharpness than a little grain.

CF card is a bit of a downer, but there are SD to CF adaptors to let you use only SD cards in all your bodies.
04-09-2015, 05:25 AM   #10
Mbc

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Any modern camera will be a massive upgrade. I'd recommend the K-3 if you consider yourself an advanced user, K-S2 for intermediate, or K-50 for beginner.
Thanks for the advice. Any online stores you'd recommend? Only a few camera stores left in Charlotte, NC, and not very friendly places.
04-09-2015, 05:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I had an *ist that I donated to my church. Even something like a k200 is leap years ahead of it. You should stay with pentax. They have MANY advantages. Just get yourself an updated one.
04-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B&H is a sponsor, and very good. Call them for current pricing rather than relying on the online listings. There may be discounts they're not allowed to advertise.

Don't forget the used market. PF's Marketplace is a great place to find good gear at a discount.

I'd also recommend the K5IIs over the K50 if you're looking for a more advanced unit. The flagship series have great controls.
04-09-2015, 05:30 AM   #13
Mbc

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You are aware that your K-mount lenses will not work on the Nikon? Which means additional investment.

See if you can still find a K5/II(s). It's 16MP but I would not consider that a limitation. They are discontinued but were very cheap (more or less the same as the D3300) at the end of their life.
Thanks. Will start looking. Consider myself an intermediate. Like to stay with Pentax because of the lens issue and I have generally been very pleased with the photos I've taken with my present equipment.

---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 05:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I think you will be furstrated with the D3xxx series from Nikon. They are very basic and not very comfortable to hold. I would go to the store and check a few cameras out.

But yes, your pentax lenses won't work on nikon's and in fact even older nikon lenses won't work on D3300 (won't autofocus).

If you have Nikon film lenses, then buy a D7xxx or a full frame nikon. If you have Pentax lenses, then buy anything with 16 megapixels or more. The 16 megapixel sensor was one of the first that were done using a different placement of photosites in the chips, which increased the light-gathering ability by some 5-fold, which obviously came with huge image quality improvements. You can basically print Iso 3200 image on let's say 8x10 with pretty good results.
Thanks.

---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 05:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would agree with all above, stay with pentax to use your old lenses, but DO NOT get rid of the *istD if it still works. It has two unique features not supported by the newer cameras, both related to flash control

First, it has both TTL and P-TTL support,mwhihc means you can mix and match older flashes like the AF 500 FTZ with new auto focus lenses, and also you can use newer flashes like the AF540 FGZ on legacy K mount lenses that do not support auto aperture (A setting on the lens).

Second, if you are using off camera high speed sync, it is the only body that can use the built in flash as a master for remote high speed sync. All other bodies require a second shoe mount flash, mounted on the camera to work as master.

It is a great little camera, and at 400 ISO and below works just fine. Even 800 ISO is ok as long a you are more concerned with sharpness than a little grain.

CF card is a bit of a downer, but there are SD to CF adaptors to let you use only SD cards in all your bodies.
Thanks

---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 05:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I had an *ist that I donated to my church. Even something like a k200 is leap years ahead of it. You should stay with pentax. They have MANY advantages. Just get yourself an updated one.

Thanks

---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 05:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
B&H is a sponsor, and very good. Call them for current pricing rather than relying on the online listings. There may be discounts they're not allowed to advertise.

Don't forget the used market. PF's Marketplace is a great place to find good gear at a discount.

I'd also recommend the K5IIs over the K50 if you're looking for a more advanced unit. The flagship series have great controls.
Thanks for the advice.
04-09-2015, 06:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I went from a (suddenly dead) *ist-DL to a K-5 and have not regretted it one bit. If you can get a good one used, go for it. The K-5 series seems to be the only DSLR I know of that will go below ISO 100 (it manages 80 in what they call expanded sensitivity mode), something I believe even the K-3 won't do. Had the *ist-DL not died, however, I probably would not have upgraded.
04-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #15
Mbc

Original Poster
To all who gave me advice, I stayed in the family and ordered a K 50. Looking forward to opening the box and getting started. Thanks!