Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Am I missing this function? - sutter speed limiter

What I mean: In certain situations I need some short shutter times, lets say 1/200. And I want to stop down aperture a bit (from 2.8 to 4, for example). I use K-5II.

My choices are:
TAv mode: In this situation set time to 1/200 and f4 - and AE will set ISO - But if it is brighter, then it sets ISO to 80 and overexposure by large margin. Ok, I set time to 1/400 - but again when come to darker area, it turn ISO to 800 or 1600 and I have more noisy picture than is necessary - because 1/200 will be sufficient.

Tv mode: this will set aperture to full open in darker situations - but I need it close a bit.

Av mode: This may be the right one, but: If I choose aperture it calculate time that I can handhold, yes (with 200m it is 1/60) - but it is too slow for my subject!

What I am looking for? I need shutter limiter in Av mode (In work I have Nikon D5100 - and it has it) - I would set automatic ISO and minimal shutter (for example 1/200). If conditions are darker, it pumps up ISO, if brighter it set ISO to the lowest value and pump up shutter...

Is there already some feature like this - And I am only not able to find it? Or not? If so, is there any workaround?

Thanks for your help.

04-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The functionality does not exist in Pentax cameras (to my knowledge).

You can play with the auto-iso parameters (page 84/85 of the English manual) in combination with Tv or Av; you can set how 'aggressive' the iso adjustment is. I'm not sure if it will give you what you need.
04-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hyper-program with auto-iso is the closest you might get on a Pentax dSLR...no shutter speed range limiter.

Steve
04-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Shooting from the hip here... Why not manual mode? It's just one more parameter from TAv.

If your lighting is controlled/consistent (as in studio) not a big deal. Otherwise just check exposure as you go.

Alternatively, use TAv and exposure comp. when it overexposes. If you find that it's using too high an ISO then you probably don't have enough light to do what you want anyway.

04-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jannis Quote
What I mean: In certain situations I need some short shutter times, lets say 1/200. And I want to stop down aperture a bit (from 2.8 to 4, for example). I use K-5II.

My choices are:
TAv mode: In this situation set time to 1/200 and f4 - and AE will set ISO - But if it is brighter, then it sets ISO to 80 and overexposure by large margin. Ok, I set time to 1/400 - but again when come to darker area, it turn ISO to 800 or 1600 and I have more noisy picture than is necessary - because 1/200 will be sufficient.

Tv mode: this will set aperture to full open in darker situations - but I need it close a bit.

Av mode: This may be the right one, but: If I choose aperture it calculate time that I can handhold, yes (with 200m it is 1/60) - but it is too slow for my subject!

What I am looking for? I need shutter limiter in Av mode (In work I have Nikon D5100 - and it has it) - I would set automatic ISO and minimal shutter (for example 1/200). If conditions are darker, it pumps up ISO, if brighter it set ISO to the lowest value and pump up shutter...

Is there already some feature like this - And I am only not able to find it? Or not? If so, is there any workaround?

Thanks for your help.
The K-3 (and I think the K-5) has a programmable ISO setting when using auto ISO modes. For instance, in Av mode, you can set f/4 and the camera will choose the shutter and "correct" ISO. But you can tell it which to prioritize with slow, standard, and fast settings.

Standard will get you a low shutter speed threshold of (around) 1/1.5*f before upping the ISO (i.e. a 30mm will have a low shutter speed of 1/50). This will give you a nice balance between shutter and noise.

Slow will protect the ISO by one stop by allowing a full stop lower speed (in our example above, you'll get a 1/25 low limit). This will give you less noise at the expense of shutter speed.

Fast will be more ISO-aggressive by, again, one stop (so you'll end up with a 1/100 shutter speed in the above example). This will give you a faster shutter, but more noise.

There's always a trade off. The best option is M mode. Do it yourself and get it right. You should be smarter than your camera anyway.
04-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanlks for your advices...

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Shooting from the hip here... Why not manual mode? It's just one more parameter from TAv.

If your lighting is controlled/consistent (as in studio) not a big deal. Otherwise just check exposure as you go.

Alternatively, use TAv and exposure comp. when it overexposes. If you find that it's using too high an ISO then you probably don't have enough light to do what you want anyway.

If it is in studio, M will be ok. But this is in my wildlife, birding etc.. shoting. I need high shutter speed stop down aperture a little and conditions is changing very rapidly. I havent got time to manual.
And compenstaion dosent help - it overexposes becouse on given shutter speed even ISO 80 is too much.

This is first feature that low to mid-end Nikon has and my Pentax doesn't. With almost everything else it was oposite )
04-10-2015, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #7

In Av mode I have the front dial set to control ISO, then I just set the ISO till I get an acceptable shutter speed. Would this solve the problem?

04-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
In Av mode I have the front dial set to control ISO, then I just set the ISO till I get an acceptable shutter speed. Would this solve the problem?
Interesting idea, thanks. I will try it.
04-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
he doesn't have time to turn one of the dials, or else TAv would be fine for him.
04-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You can select the high-speed program line and use Av mode, that might help.
04-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If it's over exposing at 1/200 shutter then in TAV mode why not just up the shutter speed until you get proper exposure? Are you looking for some controlled motion blur and the higher shutter speed would eliminate that?
04-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If you can't work around this by using TAv mode and just watching the ISO reading in the viewfinder, then just go out and buy a Fujifilm camera. They have a minimum shutter speed that can be set by the user. Of course, there's something they had to give up to get that and some were upset over losing whatever it was (think it was the camera determining minimum shutter speed based on lens focal length like everyone else has).
04-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
If it's over exposing at 1/200 shutter then in TAV mode why not just up the shutter speed until you get proper exposure?

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
he doesn't have time to turn one of the dials, or else TAv would be fine for him
All suggestion above might work. The problem is, when I need to be really fast - I really havent got time to turn dials and checking exposure marker...

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If you can't work around this by using TAv mode and just watching the ISO reading in the viewfinder, then just go out and buy a Fujifilm camera.
This is not about buying Fuji, Im satisfied with my system - I only asking a question. I was only confused. Yesterday I reallized, that entry level Nikon D5100 (that I have in work) have that function and I was quite surprised that my twice expensive camera haven't. It is quite surprising, given that Pentax is well known for its features that matchs more expensive cameras. I was wondering that I missed some tweek or setting.

Now, I know, that my camera lack that feature so I will test some setting with fast auto ISO etc...
04-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Why would ISO 80 cause over exposure (picture too bright)? Do you mean under exposure?

Sounds to me that this is could just be metering incorrectly, which is the main challenge when shooting small subjects like birds, especially if they are all black or all white in colour and against a bright or contrasting background. Solution is to either shoot in M, or one of Av, Tv, or TAv and then adjust the exposure compensation to suit. Which takes a bit of practice and experience... Generally, have to guess whether your bird will be over or underexposed relative to the background and dial in a plus or minus EV.
04-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jannis Quote
All suggestion above might work. The problem is, when I need to be really fast - I really havent got time to turn dials and checking exposure marker...
It doesn't really sound like you want to do "photography".