Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #61
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
To be quite honest if I had visited this forum before purchasing a camera I would never have bought a Pentax as there is so much negative/wrong being said.......................
If you hang around forums (any/all forums) long enough you can conclude that there has never been an item of any kind ever manufactured by anybody that isn't an absolute piece of junk.

For some there is the viewpoint that there are actually two pieces of equipment made that are truly great:
1. The one you used to have but traded/sold/lost, etc.
2. The one that you are going to get next.

06-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
“To be quite honest if I had visited this forum before purchasing a camera I would never have bought a Pentax as there is so much negative/wrong being said.......................” Quotation

Dylansalt, to be honest, part of the reason I bought the K20 is because I happened upon threads like these, at this forum, while researching DSLRs. I believe there is a big difference between constructive criticism and negativity. I also believe that people coming together to work things out, speaking honestly and respectfully with one another, is a good, positive thing.

A DSLR can be especially perplexing for a newcomer. When someone comes to this forum seeking help, (frustrated and lost), those with knowledge need to step up and offer guidance, not disciplinary words. Experienced people, showing compassion, can quickly and positively raise a struggling person to new heights. When we spot someone courageous enough to reach out, admitting they need help, we need to stay positive and focus on their needs, not on their temporary stress. Doing this, I believe, is what a forum is all about.

A forum is a public place where diverse people come together to discuss ideas and share knowledge. Not everyone in the forum can be at the same level of understanding! But everyone in the forum can grow and learn if respect and compassion is exercised.

There is awesome leadership displayed here at times, but there is sometimes an attitude of intolerance which, I believe, is true negativity. Now I understand that all the “so-called” negativity is not generated by new people. There are experienced people here who sometimes have the guts to speak up and criticsize.

I have come to have immense respect for a certain poster “Rice High.” I do not respect him because I agree with everything he says; rather, I respect him because, even though he is often bullied by several posters in a post, he has the inner fortitude necessary to push on with his point. I often learn more from him than I do from a bunch of clichesh people who band together and try to bully him out of the forum. This is not to say he has never said negative things—I am no one to judge what he says. This is to say, so long as he stays within the rules of the forum, he has every right to post here his opinions.

Pentax is a kind of philosophy for camera people. As such, it can be adopted or discarded by whoever chooses to do so. Also, a philosophy has strengths and weaknesses. This means it will appeal to and satisfy the needs of, differing people, differently. It is not a case of which brand is ultimately best; rather, different brands will be good for some, and not so good for others. I think it is this simple. Moreover, critical examination of the philosophy, by its adherents, keeps the philosophy alive and thriving, whereas complacency breeds decline. The amount of diversity exhibited within a philosophy is an indication of strength, not weakness.

Clearly, the most important people of our history have not been those content with the status quo. But they were usually autonomous, courageous thinking beings who believed the betterment of humanity is not only obtainable, but worth fighting for as well.

I do not want to start a big to do over nothing here, but I do want to call out to our community to be more patient with those coming here, entrusting us with their troubles.

Best regards,

Ernest

Humanity subdues inhumanity as water subdues fire.”

Mencius 6A:18.
06-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #63
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
“To be quite honest if I had visited this forum before purchasing a camera I would never have bought a Pentax as there is so much negative/wrong being said.......................” Quotation

Dylansalt, to be honest, part of the reason I bought the K20 is because I happened upon threads like these, at this forum, while researching DSLRs. I believe there is a big difference between constructive criticism and negativity. I also believe that people coming together to work things out, speaking honestly and respectfully with one another, is a good, positive thing.

A DSLR can be especially perplexing for a newcomer. When someone comes to this forum seeking help, (frustrated and lost), those with knowledge need to step up and offer guidance, not disciplinary words. Experienced people, showing compassion, can quickly and positively raise a struggling person to new heights. When we spot someone courageous enough to reach out, admitting they need help, we need to stay positive and focus on their needs, not on their temporary stress. Doing this, I believe, is what a forum is all about.

A forum is a public place where diverse people come together to discuss ideas and share knowledge. Not everyone in the forum can be at the same level of understanding! But everyone in the forum can grow and learn if respect and compassion is exercised.

There is awesome leadership displayed here at times, but there is sometimes an attitude of intolerance which, I believe, is true negativity. Now I understand that all the “so-called” negativity is not generated by new people. There are experienced people here who sometimes have the guts to speak up and criticsize.

I have come to have immense respect for a certain poster “Rice High.” I do not respect him because I agree with everything he says; rather, I respect him because, even though he is often bullied by several posters in a post, he has the inner fortitude necessary to push on with his point. I often learn more from him than I do from a bunch of clichesh people who band together and try to bully him out of the forum. This is not to say he has never said negative things—I am no one to judge what he says. This is to say, so long as he stays within the rules of the forum, he has every right to post here his opinions.

Pentax is a kind of philosophy for camera people. As such, it can be adopted or discarded by whoever chooses to do so. Also, a philosophy has strengths and weaknesses. This means it will appeal to and satisfy the needs of, differing people, differently. It is not a case of which brand is ultimately best; rather, different brands will be good for some, and not so good for others. I think it is this simple. Moreover, critical examination of the philosophy, by its adherents, keeps the philosophy alive and thriving, whereas complacency breeds decline. The amount of diversity exhibited within a philosophy is an indication of strength, not weakness.

Clearly, the most important people of our history have not been those content with the status quo. But they were usually autonomous, courageous thinking beings who believed the betterment of humanity is not only obtainable, but worth fighting for as well.

I do not want to start a big to do over nothing here, but I do want to call out to our community to be more patient with those coming here, entrusting us with their troubles.

Best regards,

Ernest

Humanity subdues inhumanity as water subdues fire.”

Mencius 6A:18.
Ernest
I agree with everything you said and more, I too am new to the DSLR scene but not to photography (almost 40 years) It can be as scary as the boogieman if you don't know what your doing. Go to any user reviews on any digital camera, whether it be a point n shoot or DSLR and you'll see owners rate THIS or THAT camera model anywhere from a "1" to a "10" on a scale. Most people who would rate the camera a "1" don't have the foggiest notion what an ISO is or an aperture is either, they don't even bother to read the camera's manual, their rating is based on frustration on trying to get great results without knowing anything about the camera or it's limitations.

Barry
06-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great responses.

You can get a great pic from any camera however old - the user is the picture taker not the camera - its just a tool

The Pentax K10D is a very well priced (much better priced than the competitor's) such tool.

All of us here (I hope) obviously looked and tried all the other makes before choosing the Pentax.

Being an Oly fan -I tried really to like and want the Oly - but the Nikon D80 was beckoning with it's lovely viewfinder but a lot of stuff was menu driven - ahhh but the N***n D200 was the bomb had the name but kinda out of my budget - same as the C***n 40D - eventually had the courage to go into the shop and asked to look at the K10D - heck it felt good - viewfinder was great as well - and controls I needed at my fingertips and at quarter of the price - for me it was a no brainer

Consider all the C****n 5D users who paid topdollar for there camera only to be told a few years later that the 40D (way cheaper) matches it for IQ - many 5D users are howling and nashing of teeth

The point being is that our purchase was for our love and that is taking pictures, memories etc - most DSLR's can do that regardless of make, can't they?

Regardless of whatever anyone says - the Pentax K10D does the job, is built stronger, is more able to withstand the elements than any other make - price vs price

06-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #65
Forum Member

recent K200D convert

I own 3 Nikon film bodies and more than a couple of lenses.

Recently researched 4 DSLR models - Canon XTI, Olympus E-510, Nikon D80 and K200D.

Then I held them. Canon out.

Then I compared the images. Olympus down.

Then price/performance kicked in.

So now I own a K200D.

So far, so good.

- Richard
Old Without Money
06-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
Isn't there 3rd party FD to EOS converters?

Or old D70s & D50. D80 also has screw drive focus too, and it's not that expensive
There should be purely mechanical adapters for FD to EOS, where you lose infinity, and then some with the proper optics in them where you keep infinity, but you add yet another piece of glass to the system. IIRC, the latter is also available as a Canon product (or was).
06-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #67
Veteran Member

To the OP: I am all in all very happy with my K20D, shooting with lenses i owned before and seeing the new results blew me away. I had to do a little more chimping since i can't shoot a M42 lens on the K20D the way i was used to shooting it on a 30D, but one adjusts. However you will find me griping very ealy on about something that still blows my mind, Pentax's decision to fire the flash full power whenever it does not get a reported aperture.

"I just got a K20D and it rocks, love my lenses" type threads would get boring pretty quick.
I don't think of the threads here so much as negativity as people looking for advice and the happy owners replying to those.
The problem is when the threads take on it's own life, and we as laymen testers all find the same bad results, even if it wouldn't be a problem in everyday shooting. (Look for something and you wil find it.)
That said, go on a Canon forum and you would never buy one either, different brand, same scenario. We have our "DA*16-50 is crap" threads, Canon had its "24-105/4L is crap" threads, with the same measurebating leading to (extra) false positives (aside from the real problems).
It was the occasional browsing here that helped to the decision that the 30D upgrade is not in the Canon realm, but is going to be a Pentax. And a Happy K20D owner i am, above mentioned flash shortcoming or not.
06-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get used to it. It will never change, no matter which camera or forum you visit, it will be the same.
Just like my wife......I give her everything she wants, buy her a new car, nice clothes, plenty of spending cash, tell her how well she cooks, washes clothes, cleans house, irons, mows the yard, and works a full-time job, yet she complains that I don't take out the trash. You just can't win, can you? I've had her for 40+ years, so I'm not likely to change horses so close to the bank, but if I had to do it all over, my first question would be, "do you do trash too?".

06-09-2008, 04:05 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote

Re your point:

Richard
Richard,

Your points are valid and taken. But, regardless of the methods of showcasing your product, whether its trade shows TV ads or magazines, you generate the demand for a product by getting people interested in it. Which, I believe, is the point of the marketing department. People aren't going to buy a product if they don't know about it. But, sure, they have to think carefully where they put there money. That's a very interesting take on their P & S department. I know people that love their Pentax P & S and I know people that have hated them.
06-09-2008, 06:58 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Rupert, I think you need a slave not a wife.. lol next time see if you can find one that takes good pictures too (no disrespect to yours). (with a Pentax)
06-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I think a lot of people have too much free time and does not use this to take pictures with their cameras.

Instead they complain about why they are not able to take good pictures.

Hello? If you don't learn how to use your equipment correctly, its your own fault.
06-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #72
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Negativity? You should have heard me after purchasing a Nikon Coolpix 5700 for 1100 in late 2001.
06-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #73

As to the original poster's statement, I've just always assumed that different brand forums are mainly to discuss problems and get solutions from other folks that may have had similar experiences. In fact nowadays, many manufacturers will refer you to a user's forum for troubleshooting. I kinda doubt we would all be here if it was just to say how wonderful our cameras are. That is an assumption at this point - your on the Pentax forum, so you most likely own and appreciate Pentax gear. If you go to the Canon forum they will all be talking about whatever the newest problem found with the MKIII is. That is just the nature of forums. The "negatives" are what you'll read about, mostly because that's what the questions will be about - why does my camera do...........?
06-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the negativity. Every camera has its issues. If you goto the nikon/canon forums I'd be willing to bet you'd hear whining ad naseum about various aspects of their cameras. Pentax certainly has its strong points and weak points. You can get great images out of the cameras though so don't let forum grumbling deter you from enjoying your purchase.
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #75
Lee

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
K10D + 2 Pentax Lenses + 1 Tamron Lens.

I saw them.

I researched them.

I bought them.

I'm happy as a fly on poop. (And that is happy!!!)

Nuff said.
What he said - including the poop part!
Lee