Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Negativity

To be quite honest if I had visited this forum before purchasing a camera I would never have bought a Pentax as there is so much negative/wrong being said.

I bought my PentaxK10D just with the standard 18-55 lens as starters and have so many fantastic pics that I'm happy with.

It has been up huge rockfaces, thrown around in daypacks, been caught in hail, rain - been up in Helicopters for Mountain Rescue and has never missed a beat.

Never has it failed to focus in light so low that I wouldn't be able to manual focus

Never has it missed those fast shots.

Still no dust on sensor and the lens resolves better than any other kit lens out there - in fact it resolves and gives wonderful colours better than my Contax Zeiss 28mm lens

Yes it does have its anomolies (just like any other camera out there) but for its price how on earth can you do better?

In fact my friend has a Canan 8mp 350D AND shot for shot the Pentax in jpeg mode trounces the pix taken with that camera - so much the friend is looking at now converting to Pentax

Also Pentax primes are unbelievably well priced compared to the competition

So definately the K10D is the best priced performing DSLR out there period!

Dylan

06-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I agree with you.
06-06-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
People tend to accentuate the negative about things. If you build 100,000 cars and ten of them are lemons, you won't hear a thing about the other 99,990 - only about the 10 and how bad they are. Look at the threads on hot pixels in the K20D for proof of this.

It does pay however to look at what owners are saying about a product before purchasing to determine if a real problem exists and how pervasive it is.
06-06-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You are so right about pentax gear and spot on with the appraisal. Unfortunately, it is kind of taboo to mention that you use pentax gear with other photo fora.

06-06-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
People tend to accentuate the negative about things. If you build 100,000 cars and ten of them are lemons, you won't hear a thing about the other 99,990 - only about the 10 and how bad they are. Look at the threads on hot pixels in the K20D for proof of this.

It does pay however to look at what owners are saying about a product before purchasing to determine if a real problem exists and how pervasive it is.
Well there are _some_ people that pulls statistics, tests, opinions out of their rear entrance and write them here as facts to show how mad Pentax is. No names mentioned.

Also there is alot of pixelpeepers that are looking at "trouble" that is no problem if they did it properly and post it with topics like "THE WORLD IS ENDING!".

But thats how the digital era is. It was so refreshing the other day when I met up with a cameraclub from a town a few hours away that came nearby on a picnic. These oldtimers that acctually discussed photography and not pixels and difractions that means _nothing_. There was cameras ranging from compacts to hasselblads and noone had anything bad to say about any of them. They just discussed how to use them properly etc.

The forum & blog pixelpeepers are sad. But it's not unique for camera users. Computer users got the same when they got popular in the middle of the 1990ies. Before that, noone cared about tiny bits of problems, they used what they got and were happy about it. Forums makes people sit for hours and discuss nonexistant problems instead of being out taking advantage of or use their stuff in a way that works for them.
06-06-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It seems quite popular to gain extra viewing of a post by giving it a dramatic negative Pentax title also.

"Pentax shake reduction gave me Rheumatism"

"Why I hate Pentax"

"When are Pentax going to make a good lens, my pictures are so bad" etc

06-06-2008, 04:30 AM   #7

If...

If i were to visit any forum to check the negatives of a camera, I would've never owned one.

On contrary, this forum helped me decide on Pentax. There is no better VFM DSLR brand than Pentax..!!!!

The old fantastic M lenses.... and the price you can pick them up.... and the ease to use them with the 'Green' button...can it get any better ?

Cheers
Nish

06-06-2008, 04:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
So definately the K10D is the best priced performing DSLR out there period!

Pretty much.
06-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
It seems quite popular to gain extra viewing of a post by giving it a dramatic negative Pentax title also.

"Pentax shake reduction gave me Rheumatism"

"Why I hate Pentax"

"When are Pentax going to make a good lens, my pictures are so bad" etc

Or statements like this:

"I do not understand people, who buy a brand, that doesn't have at least 1% of market share..."
06-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #10
Inactive Account

K10D + 2 Pentax Lenses + 1 Tamron Lens.

I saw them.

I researched them.

I bought them.

I'm happy as a fly on poop. (And that is happy!!!)

Nuff said.
06-06-2008, 05:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shhhhhhhh....

... even at full price, the K20D is pretty awesome, too!

(pass the word)

... and enjoy,
06-06-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Good post. I tend to not worry about what other people think and judge things from my own experience. I'm very happy with my camera. The internet is a great tool, but it also allow any 'Tom, Dick, Harry or Mary' to bitch about anything.

So, I don't worry about full frame, 63 FPS, or any of the other so called shortcomings of the Pentax line. I'm also sure that some people have a serious need for some of these features, but I don't.

Just keep taking pictures!
06-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #13
Forum Member

When I bought my first DSLR, I broke down my choices between what other cameras and lenses I had...I had both Pentax K-mounts and Nikon. I've loved both for years as standard 35mm. I chose Pentax over Nikon not through my experiences with the camera manufacturer (which were grand in every way) but by reviews by friends and colleagues, including my sister, who make photography their life's work. From everything they said, for a Semi-Pro unit, Pentax is hands down the very best...it has a few shortfalls that can be overcome by a good photographer, but what unit is perfect? Now I have owned the .ist DL, K100D, and K10D (of which I have two) and I could not be happier with the results and quality of the units.

Pentax may not have the market share of Canon or Nikon...may be even looked down upon by many who simply refuse to even try one because they are taken in by the NikoCanon Cult of Personality, but the results are undeniable. Pentax is the best.
06-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Hmmm

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
Good post. I tend to not worry about what other people think and judge things from my own experience. I'm very happy with my camera. The internet is a great tool, but it also allow any 'Tom, Dick, Harry or Mary' to bitch about anything.

So, I don't worry about full frame, 63 FPS, or any of the other so called shortcomings of the Pentax line. I'm also sure that some people have a serious need for some of these features, but I don't.

Just keep taking pictures!
Look, If there were as many Pentax owners as there are Nikon/Canon owners, we wouldn't be part of this exclusive "club" lol, we know better..they don't. I've always considered myself a non-conformist and don't buy anything just to "keep up with the Jones" Do you ever look at the EXIF data on photos (if not blocked) from photo gallery sites. I see some damn ugly shots taken with the competition and people with the same brand will rave about it,only because they own one two. I think it would be fun to grab someone off a downtown street and have three prints (taken of the same subject) taken with a Pentax,Nikon and Canon, and ask the passerby which one he prefers (don't tell them which is which), Pentax wins even if they say "I can't tell the difference" since we have a lot more money left in our wallets.

Barry
06-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
The forum & blog pixelpeepers are sad. But it's not unique for camera users. Computer users got the same when they got popular in the middle of the 1990ies. Before that, noone cared about tiny bits of problems, they used what they got and were happy about it. Forums makes people sit for hours and discuss nonexistant problems instead of being out taking advantage of or use their stuff in a way that works for them.
You are so right. It applies to anything, from politics to parsnips to cameras. No matter what the item, you can find people who don't like it, and those are the people who tend to let their feelings be known (also referred to as b!tching).