Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cross-screw size on Pentax bodies

Hi, I couldn't find any information on this anywhere - probably it was never discussed but I am trying to find out what kind of screw driver can I use to remove the tiny cross screws found on Pentax bodies and grips. I have a few of them rusting and hoping to clean or replace them. Incidentally, I tried removing one with a #0 micro screwdriver but it seems too big for the screw. And I also wonder if by any chance, the screws are actually lock-tited? Kind advise me. Thank you!

04-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The heads are JIS not Philips. So you need a JIS driver. I don't remember the size but also I do not think they are all the same. And at least on older bodies the screws were 'locked' with varnish or some similar material.
04-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The heads are JIS not Philips
You beat me to it, but just as well as I couldn't remember what they were called, but knew they weren't Philips.
04-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You beat me to it, but just as well as I couldn't remember what they were called, but knew they weren't Philips.
JIS is the source of much frustration since it looks quite like a Philips or cross head but it is not. And using a Philips driver on them is a sure way to strip the heads.

I don't remember what size they use, and when I was doing lens repair I believe several different sizes were used. So to the OP if you intend to work on such gear, best you get a good set of JIS in various sizes. A good lens spanner and a collection of tweezers, forceps, pliers and dental probes are also useful.

04-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

Yes, get a set of JIS drivers. The most common size drivers I end up using on camera bodies and lenses are #00 and #000. The most obvious difference is that Philips screws are slightly rounded in the center of the slots whereas JIS are straight with sharp corners in the center area. There are other differences in the angle of the cut but these aren't as obvious visually.

Philips drivers can easily strip the slots on JIS screws - I guess Philips are designed to cam out to prevent over torquing the screws. Works both was and they'll cam out on tight or locked screws too.

JIS drivers are compatible with Philips screws though.
04-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
This link has a perfect explanation of the differences between the standard Phillips screw heads and the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw heads. They also sell the correct screwdrivers for both (I am not endorsing them, simply found them on the interwebs).

Phillips And JIS Screw Heads Explained
04-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a set of those Moody drivers and they are well worth the money. I got my set from Amazon, and I think
I paid a little more than the link above. Highly recommended.

04-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can also get JIS screw tips to fit Starrett jewellers screwdrivers.I got mine from micro-tools europe.
04-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cross-head screws - a caution:

There's a lot of useful info in the Articles section of PF.
04-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Micro-tools doesn't seem to have crosspoint drivers anymore. The Society of Photo-Technologists (SPT) sells blades that are compatible to the "traditional" Niwa screw driver handles.
04-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Micro-tools is out of stock on the 5-piece set with the nice plastic handle. But they have stock of the steel handle set.

Screwdriver, JIS Type S Set, 5Pc Steel

But this doesn't help the OP because they are in Singapore...
04-13-2015, 02:25 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks so much to everyone all the very helpful and friendly advice! I have certainly learnt a lot. The SPT drivers seem promising. Any idea where to find the replacement screws? Else, I can probably order it through my local distributor.