Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Getting a new DSLR

Hey guys,
I have been considering buying a new DSLR and been reading through lots of reviews. But I still cannot decide which camera should I buy.
I am looking for something mainly for outdoor shooting of all kinds and my budget is somewhere around 1000 USD. So my question is: Is it better to buy some cheapo body with good lenses and have the potencial to buy better body in a future, or buy great body (maybe K-3) with stock lenses and buy some better lenses maybe next year?
Thanks for answering and sorry, if thread like this is here somewhere, it is kinda late and I am tired.
Have a nice day and I hope my english isnt so bad.

04-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paulas Quote
Hey guys,
I have been considering buying a new DSLR and been reading through lots of reviews. But I still cannot decide which camera should I buy.
I am looking for something mainly for outdoor shooting of all kinds and my budget is somewhere around 1000 USD. So my question is: Is it better to buy some cheapo body with good lenses and have the potencial to buy better body in a future, or buy great body (maybe K-3) with stock lenses and buy some better lenses maybe next year?
Thanks for answering and sorry, if thread like this is here somewhere, it is kinda late and I am tired.
Have a nice day and I hope my english isnt so bad.
If that's your budget, you should be able to treat yourself to a K-3 with a decent starting prime and a kit zoom, such as the DA 50mm or DA 35mm plus the 18-55mm kit lens, or a 18-135mm. That's what I would recommend.

If you want to invest more in premium lenses, you could go with something like a K-5 IIs (now discontinued but still in stock in a small number of places) and get higher-end glass.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If that's your budget, you should be able to treat yourself to a K-3 with a decent starting prime and a kit zoom, such as the DA 50mm or DA 35mm plus the 18-55mm kit lens, or a 18-135mm. That's what I would recommend.

If you want to invest more in premium lenses, you could go with something like a K-5 IIs (now discontinued but still in stock in a small number of places) and get higher-end glass.
Well thanks for your advice. I will probably go for the K-3 with stock 18-55mm and buy some nice lanses later. I just hope its not much stupid idea. Just one more question: is there a way to ship a camera from US to EU (prices here for the K-3 are around 250 USD higher)
04-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was at these crossroads last year. I wanted to upgrade from my trusty old K10D. I looked over many options including a K50 and a K5. I finally decided on the K3. The K3 is leaps and bounds above the K10. The auto focus is faster and more reliable. The ability to shoot at higher ISO's opens the door to more lens options especially for wildlife. I was lucky enough to get in on the black Friday deals at B&H last November. I have seen K3's go for around 700 - 800 with a grip and 600 without one. Right now B&H has a K3 bundle with a grip and DA 50 for $950 and $1050 with the DA 18-135. I have both lens and they are excellent lens. I bought my K3 and have never looked back.

04-12-2015, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get the 18-135 over the 18-55. It takes much nicer photos, and it's a better range all around. It will come in just at your $1000 budget.
04-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I would have to disagree with the recommendations. Study quality lenses, deciding what style of shooting you want, and the best range in lenses. Probably only two Pentax zooms are uncompromising for landscape - the 16-85, and the 20-40. You would want to look at limiteds or the DA 35/50mm for landscape needs if prime suits your needs. Go with quality lenses - and you'll keep them for decades. Choose your body with remaining funds - even if it means going with a used body at a low price. In time, once you get to know the lenses, upgrade to a new and improved body - or wait just a few months for the K-3 on closeout.

Prices on the K-3 have been better when bundles were bringing in more buyers late last year. My bundle allowed me to sell of stuff I didn't need, and pay under $510 net for the K-3 (under $480 if you count the $30 merch discount coupon for my next BH purchase). I think we'll see the K-3 at much lower prices fairly soon.
04-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't know, are you also considering second hand camera/lenses? What equipment do you already have?
04-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all your adveces, guys. I am generally considering buyimg the k-3 more than before. I just think
I will wait for some time and see if the prizes changes somehow.
And for biz-engineer: I am considering second hand lenses, just dont know how to orient in them. Also for the question about my equipment, well I have nothing. I used my Sony DSC H9 and sometimes borrowed a Nikon D3200 from my friend but the sony passed away few days ago.