Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

C1 likes PEF hates DNG?

When I load a RAW PEF file from my K-5 into the Capture One software program it works fine that is to be expected as the release notes say the 6.3 64-bit version of the program that I am testing in trial mode supports the K-5. But when I load a RAW DNG file from my K5 into the same program the colors go crazy for example deep blue, bright red or magenta appears as an awful magenta or purple blotch that also appears when a Tiff file is exported from the program so it is not just an issue with the viewer.

The same PEF and DNG files open fine in Photoshop with no problem.

I tried reloading the C1 program and using different versions but it made no difference, so I am wondering what is wrong and if this is a known issue?

While dredging around on the internet for a solution I came across this explanation in a thread on another forum about a similar problem with files from a Canon DSLR on an earlier version of the C1 program that seems to make sense, even to an ignoramus like me:

Magenta cast in the highlights after RAW development is 99% of the times because of a bad saturation point considered by the RAW development software. So what you are experiencing here is a mismatch between your hardware and your software.

However it is surprising to encounter this problem in a reputable program like C1 that specifies in its release notes support for the K-5.

04-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by windhorse Quote
When I load a RAW PEF file from my K-5 into the Capture One software program it works fine that is to be expected as the release notes say the 6.3 64-bit version of the program that I am testing in trial mode supports the K-5. But when I load a RAW DNG file from my K5 into the same program the colors go crazy for example deep blue, bright red or magenta appears as an awful magenta or purple blotch that also appears when a Tiff file is exported from the program so it is not just an issue with the viewer.

I tried reloading the C1 program and using different versions but it made no difference, so I am wondering what is wrong and if this is a known issue?

While dredging around on the internet for a solution I came across this explanation in a thread on another forum about a similar problem with files from a Canon DSLR on an earlier version of the C1 program that seems to make sense, even to an ignoramus like me:

Magenta cast in the highlights after RAW development is 99% of the times because of a bad saturation point considered by the RAW development software. So what you are experiencing here is a mismatch between your hardware and your software.

However it is surprising to encounter this problem in a reputable program like C1 that specifies in its release notes support for the K-5.
Does it not also say that PEF is supported and DNG is not? I also had issues with my DNG's from my k-3 and switched to PEF.
04-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am running the latest version of Capture One, v8.2.1, and I do not have any color issues with DNG files generated by a K-30, K-3, Q, or Q7.

Perhaps you have a white balance setting incorrectly dialed in that Capture One is ingesting and using as a legitimate value?

Can you post your file on DropBox? I can download it and try recreating your problem on my computer.
04-13-2015, 04:27 AM   #4

Are the DNG files imported in the correct colorspace? Importing a file as AdobeRGB while it's shot in sRGB really messes up the colors.

04-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by windhorse Quote

Help us understand... you're running a trial on a version that's three years old?
04-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
I attach a few sample images to show the odd color behavior I am talking about:

Both are from the same K5 file (RAW DNG, color space: Adobe RGB) with no processing apart from export conversion to jpeg and reduction in image size.

The first is from trial version C1 6.3 and the 2nd is from Photoshop CS6.

---------- Post added 04-13-15 at 07:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
Does it not also say that PEF is supported and DNG is not? I also had issues with my DNG's from my k-3 and switched to PEF.
Thanks 77Me for this tip. Maybe you have found something in the fine print that I did not notice and the version of C1 I am trying is not compatible with Pentax k-5 DNG files?

---------- Post added 04-13-15 at 07:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gwboes Quote
Are the DNG files imported in the correct colorspace? Importing a file as AdobeRGB while it's shot in sRGB really messes up the colors.
The color space on the camera is AdobeRGB same as C1

---------- Post added 04-13-15 at 07:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Help us understand... you're running a trial on a version that's three years old?
Yes you are right that is what I wrote... if I understand right the K-5 is 4 years old?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by windhorse; 04-13-2015 at 07:30 AM.
04-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That is truly bizarre behavior! I find it interesting that the lock hardly changed between the two images.

I would recommend you install the latest version of the software and run it in trial mode. You'll have 30 days to play around with it. If you see the same behavior then you can open a support ticket with Phase One. They are responsive to issues like this. Running the latest version of the software will ensure you get their attention.

04-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're sure your C1-Version uses a proper generic K5-profile, by example version 2?

I never had problems with the dng or pef files using C1Pro 7/8. But I saw the same problem when K-3 was freshly released and I tried work with the files in C1Pro 7. After some time one minor update solved the problem. So maybe your C1 6.3 ist not really ready for K-5 raw files. By the way I would like to recommend C1Pro 8 - a lot more stable and faster than version 7.

Last edited by acoufap; 04-13-2015 at 08:53 AM.
04-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's something you can try. I'm not sure if it is available v6.3.

Check your ICC Profile setting in the Base Characteristics tool and change it to "Effects->No Color Correction". Also change your Curve setting to "Linear". Pick your white balance point and then perform an Auto Levels function on the individual R, G, and B channels.

That ought to get your image to a very neutral starting point.
04-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
You're sure your C1-Version uses a proper generic K5-profile, by example version 2?

I never had problems with the dng or pef files using C1Pro 7/8. But I saw the same problem when K-3 was freshly released and I tried work with the files in C1Pro 7. After some time one minor update solved the problem. So maybe your C1 6.3 ist not really ready for K-5 raw files. By the way I would like to recommend C1Pro 8 - a lot more stable and faster than version 7.
That is what I suspect as well. DNG support is not brand or camera model agnostic.

Steve
04-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
o maybe your C1 6.3 ist not really ready for K-5 raw files
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is what I suspect as well
me too, at least for K-5 raw DNG files.

fortunately raw PEF files work fine and if I understand right I lose nothing worth worrying about using raw PEF rather than raw DNG files, so no need to get my knickers in a knot.

Just thought it odd that the raw DNG files did not work and was curious to know why not and if others had encountered the same problem.

Mind you I did get quite a shock when I first ran into this phenomena and it did take me quite some time to discover there was nothing wrong with my camera or the settings in C1. Such is life.