Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #1

Does PSP XI Support The K10D?

My daughter likes the Snapfire Program for light duty stuff and the PSP XI is reasonable but I can't find the K10D on there as a supported Camera.

02-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, not yet.

As far I know, only the Pentax *ist D is supported. All other models are not listed. Here is the link I checked. The link was last updated Jan. 16, 2007.

Answer
02-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
As a follow up I have e-mailed Corel to find out if they will in the near future.
02-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What do you mean? Can it open RAW files? Or once convetred can you work with them?

I have PSPSXI and you can open jpeg files from the K10, you can not open the PEF files. I have not checked DNG but assume no as well. I am still annoyed with PSPXI for eating the EXIF info everytime to make a change.

02-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

"I am still annoyed with PSPXI for eating the EXIF"

have u used psp 9.. i would be interested to know how it compares to 10 and 11..

trog
02-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I did use 9 for a short time. but then jumped to X. I have heard sticking with X is a good idea. I would agree. I am not savy enough to give you specifics. but the couple of things that have ennoyed me make me wish I had saved the money for something else. Don't get me wrong I really like PSPXI but again not sure if it was worth the upgrade for the things I do.
02-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
What do you mean? Can it open RAW files? Or once convetred can you work with them?

I have PSPSXI and you can open jpeg files from the K10, you can not open the PEF files. I have not checked DNG but assume no as well. I am still annoyed with PSPXI for eating the EXIF info everytime to make a change.
Pat, yes I meant RAW support by my answer. gotta put that exif data thing on the PSP wishlist.

02-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
"I am still annoyed with PSPXI for eating the EXIF"

have u used psp 9.. i would be interested to know how it compares to 10 and 11..

trog
Hi Trog100.

Post processing with PSP9 is pretty much same as the later versions. PSP9 lacks the "wizards" introduced in PSPX.

PSP9 won't upon K10D PEF or DNG RAW files but it would seem the newer versions don't either judging by the other responses in this thread.

PSP9 is more than adequate for post processing JPEG fomat.

Hope this helps.
02-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I am still annoyed with PSPXI for eating the EXIF info everytime to make a change.
I am using PSP-X and I have bought PSP-XI when it was on sale (20 bucks after rebate, Retail Box). I haven't installed it yet, because I didn't really want to spent the time and didn't see a reason to do so as my PSP-X is running perfectly.

Now this thing stripping the EXIF: Is this a known problem with this program or is it something that happens on your PC only? Have you contacted Corel?
If this is a bug and they don't fix it, I will probably never install that version and stick with V.10
02-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I haven't followed everything in the thread, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that PSPXI will open K10D DNG files, but they come out totally black, and nothing I've tried finds any detail in them. So either I am missing something or K10D DNGs aren't supported.

Simon
02-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HogRider Quote
I am using PSP-X and I have bought PSP-XI when it was on sale (20 bucks after rebate, Retail Box). I haven't installed it yet, because I didn't really want to spent the time and didn't see a reason to do so as my PSP-X is running perfectly.

Now this thing stripping the EXIF: Is this a known problem with this program or is it something that happens on your PC only? Have you contacted Corel?
If this is a bug and they don't fix it, I will probably never install that version and stick with V.10
Interstingly enough the issue of stripping the EXIF info started after they did a update to the orginall version. If you use the orginal and do not install the 11.11 update you are find. It is known and I laugh as the update was to improve the EXIF info and it actually did the oposite. When you first convert to JPEG it is all there once you save as or change anything the import info is stripped check my thread here for more info.
02-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

thanks doug i just wondered if i was missing anything.. as u do.. he he

trog
02-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sorry had to run and forgot the link PopPhoto.com: PSPX version 11.11 issue - View Post it shows what I could and then could not see. Anyway, not sure if the same is true if you just shot JPEG. I may try a experiment later.

If you don't want to read the link here is what is says:

Anyone find that when the crop a JPG in PSPXI that the EXIF info gets striped to minimul info?

It normally shows this:
EXIF Type EXIF Data
Make PENTAX Corporation
Model PENTAX *ist DS
X Resolution 300/0 dots per inch
Y Resolution 300/0 dots per inch
Resolution Unit Inch
Exposure Time 1/90 sec
F-Number F2.8
Exposure Program Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings 800
Date/Time Original 2006:12:08 19:15:27
Date/Time Digitized 2006:12:08 19:15:27
Exposure Bias Value 0
Metering Mode Center weighted average
Flash No flash fired, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length 110.0 mm
Sensing Method One-chip color area sensor
Custom Image Processing Normal
Exposure Mode Auto
White Balance Mode Manual
Focal Length in 35mm Film 165.0 mm
Scene Capture Type Standard
Contrast Normal
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Normal
Subject Distance Range Distant view

But if I crop anything it leaves only this:
EXIF Type EXIF Data
Compression JPEG compression
Make PENTAX Corporation
Model PENTAX *ist DS
Orientation top, left side
X Resolution 72 dots per inch
Y Resolution 72 dots per inch
Resolution Unit Inch
Software Paint Shop Pro Photo 11.11
Date/Time 2007:01:05 21:31:48
Thumbnail Offset 13304 bytes
Thumbnail Length 6418 bytes
YCbCr Positioning Datum point
Thumbnail Data [6418 bytes of thumbnail data]
IPTC Type IPTC Data
Directory Version 2
02-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilli53 Quote
My daughter likes the Snapfire Program for light duty stuff and the PSP XI is reasonable but I can't find the K10D on there as a supported Camera.
I am using PSP XI version 11.11.

Although I have not yet shot any RAW the open file type list shows both DNG and PEF file formats.
02-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Anyone find that when the crop a JPG in PSPXI that the EXIF info gets striped to minimul info?
Yes. This is a known problem with PSP Photo XI. According to my last email with Corel support, Corel is looking into the problem and should fix it in a future update.

I use CS2 for most of my editing and it tends to be faster, but there are a few things that are easier/faster in PSP XI and I've been using PSP XI for that reason. I hope they fix the EXIF problem soon so that I don't lose the EXIF info for images that I edit in PSP XI.