Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Not just another "K-5 or K-50" thread.......

Hey folks!

After finally selling the rest of our film equipment (Nikon bodies & lenses) I decided it was time to invite a decent DSLR into the house for my wife (& I) to use. Based on feature set - especially in-camera shake reduction & backward compatibility and the generally very positive reviews, I decided to support Pentax & picked up a K-r for Christmas. I do have a small soft spot for the brand as the Pentax Spotmatic was my first "good" SLR back in high school & went everywhere with me.

Shortly after Christmas my wife tried to take a few shots & the mirror started "flapping". I did a little research, removed the battery, reinserted, etc., updated the firmware & hasn't been a problem since - until just now. My wife took it with her down to DC for a week for the cherry blossoms and after 3-4 shots the mirror locked up & then started flapping!!!!! Luckily she got it working again but it's continuing to be a problem while she's down there.

I bought the camera (+18-55 lens) used from KEH (with only 347 actuations) and found it was still within their 180 day warranty period and after contacting them was promptly offered a full refund!

Soooooo, what do I replace it with? Luckily I bought a K-7 body off the forums here to have as a second camera & love it's solid, robust feel and the fact that it's "weather sealed" & wouldn't mind picking up a K-5 to go with it. My wife also likes the feel of the K-7 & the fact that it's weather sealed but does like the smaller size of the K-r just a bit more. That got me thinking about the K-50 - a little smaller than the K-5, newer, weather sealed and a little more like the K-7/K-5 in it's controls than the K-r was. I know samples of both the 5 & 50 seem to have had their issues (mirror issues in both & sensor stains in the 5) but regardless, which would you pick? Bottom line is IQ is the most important factor.

And unfortunately, after reading about & experiencing issues first-hand, I'm wondering if I made the right choice to begin with. There are some pretty tempting alternatives to Pentax out there.

Thanks!

Dave

04-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

K-50 is great and I really enjoy my K-r.....believe yer wife will be pleased with the K-50......a shame about the mirror! great time to be in DC.....I went to luray instead of dc last week for spring break.....
04-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a k50. Get one new with the extended warranty. Then you have peace of mind. Both cameras outperform what you had and both are awesome.
04-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 is awsome

I too have fond memories from my high school journalism days as the photographer with my Pentax 35 mm film cameras! Later in life, I picked up photography again and my first DSLR was a KX and then I upgraded to a K-7 which was great. I then sold my K-7 for a new K-5 and I have to say it is awesome - all that the K-7 was but more. Never used a K-50, but in my humble opinion, the K-5 is awesome. Exactly the same body of the K-7 (great feel) but with an extra kick. Just can't go wrong with a K-5 and they are dirt cheap (price wise, not quality). Hope this helps!

04-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have both the K-50 and the K-5 IIs and I like them both a lot. Because of the lack of a AA filter, the K-5 IIs renders detail a bit better but other than that they both have the same sensor. The K-5 and the K-5 II have the AA filter and so would be very similar to the K-50. The K-50 is lighter and a little more compact but not significantly. The K-5 IIs is a bit heavier, has a little bit better fit and finish and just feels more robust in the hand. For my hands the K-50 is slightly more comfortable to grip but not by a large amount. Finally the K-5, K-5 II and K-5 IIs can be fitted with a grip containing additional batteries to extend your shooting time. If it's important to you; the K-50 cannot. The K-5 series also supports an external display via HDMI.

*Edit* Fixed a typo... the *K-50* is more comfortable in my hand, not the K-5 as I originally typed.

Last edited by dakight; 04-14-2015 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Correct a typo
04-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

If I was coming back to Pentax I would get the K-S2 for the rotating LCD and focus-peaking. I did like the K-5, though.
04-14-2015, 04:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Sorry you had a bad one, but do keep in mind that the overall problem rate among various brands of cameras is pretty consistent. While every brand has problems, the vast majority of individual cameras have no problem whatsoever for many many years. Get the k-50 for focus peaking, lighter body, or if you want scene modes. K-5iis if these are not important to you.
04-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey folks!

Thanks for the responses! I really am on the fence about this one. I love the solid, robust feel of my K-7 and would definitely enjoy having a K-5 to go along with it which would make life a little simpler (same batteries, control layout, etc.), but I wouldn't be adverse to inviting in a K-50 as my wife DOES like the smaller feel of the K-r (although she would get VERY used to the 5 VERY quickly). And then maybe eventually ending up with both the 5 & 50. Hmmmmm.........

Or.....

Since I'm getting a full refund for the K-r, I actually could go a whole different route - get my wife something completely different & I keep my K-7 for the time being. I don't have a lot invested in Pentax (yet) - got the K-7 off the forum here used (and in wonderful shape I might add) and have 3 relatively inexpensive lenses (not counting the 18-55 that's going back with the K-r) - a Pentax F 35-70mm 3.5-4.5, a Pentax DAL 50-200mm 4-5.6 WR for concerts & a Sigma 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 V2.

So I might revisit some research I did prior to "buying into" Pentax. We'll see.

Thanks again!

Dave

Last edited by twigfarm; 04-16-2015 at 06:24 AM.
04-17-2015, 02:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twigfarm Quote
Hey folks!

Thanks for the responses! I really am on the fence about this one. I love the solid, robust feel of my K-7 and would definitely enjoy having a K-5 to go along with it which would make life a little simpler (same batteries, control layout, etc.), but I wouldn't be adverse to inviting in a K-50 as my wife DOES like the smaller feel of the K-r (although she would get VERY used to the 5 VERY quickly). And then maybe eventually ending up with both the 5 & 50. Hmmmmm.........

Or.....

Since I'm getting a full refund for the K-r, I actually could go a whole different route - get my wife something completely different & I keep my K-7 for the time being. I don't have a lot invested in Pentax (yet) - got the K-7 off the forum here used (and in wonderful shape I might add) and have 3 relatively inexpensive lenses (not counting the 18-55 that's going back with the K-r) - a Pentax F 35-70mm 3.5-4.5, a Pentax DAL 50-200mm 4-5.6 WR for concerts & a Sigma 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 V2.

So I might revisit some research I did prior to "buying into" Pentax. We'll see.

Thanks again!

Dave
If cost is an issue, the K-50 is very cheap right now. Image quality is not the difference between them really.
04-17-2015, 04:24 AM   #10

I would buy a Lightly used second hand K-5 for the top LCD screen.
04-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Even if you are not heavily invested in Pentax lenses at present, it makes sense to be able to share lenses. You are more likely to get a better lens if it can be used on both cameras.

Choose a camera that your wife finds comfortable. If that's the K-50 or even K-S1 or K-S2, you won't be disappointed. And focus peaking (not found on the K-5) is a handy feature.

If you want better image quality, you will get more for your money by getting a good lens or two - even a cheap prime like the DA 35 f2.4 or DA 50 f1.8 can give stellar results on any Pentax body.