Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Yup Wolfeye, you have a valid point. I'd just lifted it from elsewhere and didn't think about its re-use here. I just had a musing and an entertaining snap that seemed to back-up my flexibility argument of Pentax/Ricoh kit.

Reminder to myself: must check posts more carefully, but ,hey, posts can become rather dull when we make no mistakes ...
I think it's the approach that matters, not the camera. I'd bet you'd get the same picture with a K-3, with maybe less DOF. If you're good at approaching people you already have the best tool in your arsenal.

04-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It seems to go back and forth between these two companies, based on who released the latest sensor last. Nikon does it first, Pentax a year later usually with improved specs. do you want new and incomplete or wait a year for a more accomplished version. They could almost both be divisions of the same company.
When the core component of the camera is identical (or nearly so) that is going to be inevitable. Each company will try to get the best out of the sensor they are supplied with and neither has a monopoly on engineers so they are going to go back and forth. Canon has a big advantage in that they have exclusive access to their own sensors. Offset by the fact that at least right now those sensors are lagging behind the Sony ones.
It does beg the question... will there ever be a time again when someone chooses a Pentax over a Nikon simply on specifications.
That's a tough one, most of the specs that are easy to measure are going to revolve around the sensor and processor so no large difference there. What can Pentax show that looks good on reviews that Nikon cannot do as well?
04-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What can Pentax show that looks good on reviews that Nikon cannot do as well?
Off the top of my head; SR, selectable blur filter, horizon tilt, astrotracing, advanced features in mid and low level bodies (pentaprism, WR, dual wheels), multi-shot high resolution mode.
04-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Right now K-3 against D7200, 8 frames/second instead of 6, and probably the K-3 has a bigger buffer.... both of which for a wildlife shooter are factors to consider. There might be more... but that's a start. SR is also huge.... there are times I get better shots hand held than my Nikon buddies get using a tripod, using my old glass, like my F 70-210.

04-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #20
Site Supporter

LOL, OK that was more a rhetorical question My point was with the same hardware it is hard to distinguish yourself. But not impossible.
  • IBIS
  • frame rate, better buffer
  • WR
  • Sensor movement provides limited tilt/shift. Maybe some type of sensor shift image doubling.
  • Selectable AA filter
  • Astrotracing
  • Better features in lower end bodies
Yes, all of those and more. But the most important is the one you cannot get from reviews. Pick up the body and shoot with it. Maybe it is just me but every time I pick up a Canon, Nikon, Sony or Samsung (and I do every time we go to Costco) I just cannot imagine shooting with something so awkward. Of course I am used to Pentax but I firmly believe their greatest sell point is just body ergonomics. And you cannot see or feel that in a review.

I think there is unfortunately a big difference between features that really improve your shots and features that look good in reviews.
04-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Most of the things I listed are not possible for Nikon to implement, because the sensor is stationary. You might argue that they could add advanced features to low and mid-range bodies, but clearly the company strategy has been to cripple lower echelons to protect upper end products.

Jatrax, I guess we were typing at the same time.
04-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
LOL, OK that was more a rhetorical question My point was with the same hardware it is hard to distinguish yourself. But not impossible.
  • IBIS
  • frame rate, better buffer
  • WR
  • Sensor movement provides limited tilt/shift. Maybe some type of sensor shift image doubling.
  • Selectable AA filter
  • Astrotracing
  • Better features in lower end bodies
Yes, all of those and more. But the most important is the one you cannot get from reviews. Pick up the body and shoot with it. Maybe it is just me but every time I pick up a Canon, Nikon, Sony or Samsung (and I do every time we go to Costco) I just cannot imagine shooting with something so awkward. Of course I am used to Pentax but I firmly believe their greatest sell point is just body ergonomics. And you cannot see or feel that in a review.

I think there is unfortunately a big difference between features that really improve your shots and features that look good in reviews.
For wildlife. IBIS, frame rate and buffer size are key... I guess it all depends on your priorities.
04-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
If you are a professional with the “agency” problem—you need certain gear to make the person hiring you feel comfortable—you do what you have to do. Otherwise, equipment is like skis for alpine racers or golf equipment for pros…once it is dialed in you can “win” with almost anything (Bode Miller won on Fischer, Rossignol, Atomic and Head).

Every few years something will change that makes one brand stand out, and then it will change again. For example, if you are shooting sports the camera with the fastest burst speed (all else being equal) will be your choice. But things aren’t equal, because things like lenses, cost and weatherproofing may matter. Therefore, go with what feels right and stop doubting yourself.

04-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Others have it now and are blowing their oversize horns, but Pentax had it a year ahead of the 5-digit dSLR names (I'm making Ricoh not count so I can continue to dislike 5-digit camera names ).
Like asahi?
04-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Like asahi?
He's a fine man.
04-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Would others start again or just replace ?

Tough question, but a few musings:

- Simple kit I have now is likely way better than I'll ever be, and I'm happy, so that says basically, just replace.
- Gear wise, wherever I am now is part of a "process", and that state of gear satisfaction seems to shift over time
- Generally, when out an about, I seem to be more "jealous" of smaller and lighter rather than bigger and more impressive. Mirrorless with a great eye level view finder looks pretty attractive. Olympus and Panasonic seem to be doing a great job.
- I feel a continuous strong affinity for Pentax. Lot of value, and they do a great job.
- Really wish I could be a prime guy, but I just can't.
04-14-2015, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

It does beg the question... will there ever be a time again when someone chooses a Pentax over a Nikon simply on specifications. During the hey day of the K-5 you could buy Pentax knowing you were getting the best of something....the D7100 came out a year before the K-3 and now the D7200 with extended dynamic range is out. It seems to go back and forth between these two companies, based on who released the latest sensor last. Nikon does it first, Pentax a year later usually with improved specs.
OK, I'm about to spout off some generalizations that I'm sure don't apply to everyone and every situation, but I think may be worth pondering anyhow...

First, all these cameras today really are great. It may be trite, but it's also true. I shop for a camera that's responsive, ergonomic, pleasing to operate. IQ specs, although not to be dismissed entirely, are rarely the priority anymore. There's too much hair-splitting required when you get into comparing them.

The drive to have the very latest technology, or the latest sensor, is not really as important for most of us as we make it out to be. Just remind yourself that every photograph you have ever admired in your life was taken with yesterday's cameras, not tomorrow's.
04-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #28
Pentaxian

If I was starting all over again from scratch, it would be a very difficult decision. One of my main motivations for buying a Pentax DSLR was the fact that I already had lenses that I could use. I liked the ergonomics of the K10D a little better than the K5 I am currently using. Add to that the fact that third party manufacturers like Tamron and Sigma aren't offering their latest lenses in Pentax mounts anymore and it makes a good argument for switching. A couple of my favorite lenses can't be replaced if I stayed with Pentax unless I shopped for used stuff. Tough decision and in all honesty, I would probably switch.
04-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Besides a lot of valid point from the previous poster, I think I would more likely stick with Pentax albeit I would skip a lot of the intermediate lenses I have. They get used but not enough that I could justify everything again. I think I'd reduce my kit in exchange for some better glass. Nikon is my other likely option, but I'm more concerned with the process of getting a lens line up again. I feel like the Pentax lenses are what really make the brand shine whereas I feel that Nikon is more about the camera.
04-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #30

Size, ergonomics, WR, availability of old, high quality glass, and IQ are all things that have brought me back to the Pentax fold. I sold off a bunch of stuff and have used the money for a K5IIs and a K3, as well as quite a few old bayonet and M42 lenses. Of all of the advantages the Pentax system offers, one that has quite unexpectedly cemented my decision that Pentax was the right choice is the relative silence of the camera shutters. It is amazing how much the reduction in noise has increased my satisfaction in taking photographs. About the only thing out there that comes close in the low noise shutter department is the Nikon D810; but that is a pretty big/heavy camera.

Before the big sell off and commitment to Pentax, I did impulse buy, and still have, a D750. Like with the Pentax glass, I have, over the years, purchased several AI and AIS manual Nikon lenses. While I always knew the D750- and the Nikon glass- was heavy, using the Pentax gear has made it seem even more so. Additionally, the D750 shutter, while always seeming loud, now seems obnoxiously loud. There is no question the FF Nikon renders images that have superior resolution- and allow greater freedom in cropping- than the K5IIs and K3; but for what I do, e.g. birds, landscape, and photos of opportunity while I travel on business, It is rare that I use the D750 in favor of the Pentax gear. It makes me wonder if I have been an idiot in fixating on the FF thing. I mean, I do have an old Rolliecord for those times when a larger format is a must..... And it is even quieter than the Pentax cameras .