Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 firmware possible for new lenses ?

Anyone knows whether this could happen: have a firmware update for the K5/K5II/K5IIs which would (will) allow the use of the special AF buttons on the new HD zoom lenses ??

It would be a shame not being able to use those buttons (on the lenses) ... or it means that I would have no choice but to "upgrade" to a camera which does allow that.

JP

04-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

New K-3 firmware was just released to support those features. So far, Ricoh has been good about updating firmware for a wide variety of past cameras. Maybe there is more to add to the K-5 firmware than there was for the K-3? Are there any K-5 bugs that needed fixing?
04-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's just a matter of time before they release the same firmware on the K5/ii/s...my guess is before the new D-Fa release date.
04-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When the lenses were announced it was said you would need a K-3 for the new features to work.

QuoteQuote:
Four AF buttons installed on the lens barrel
In order to provide more stable AF operation and better hold of the lens regardless of the camera’s orientation — horizontal or vertical — this lens provides four AF buttons on its barrel — one at every 90 degrees.** The user can assign preferred settings to these AF buttons, including: a Focus Preset mode to preprogram the focus position and instantly shift the focus to that position; and an AF Cancel mode to intentionally fix the focus at a desired point during Continuous AF operation.
** The PETANX K-3 is currently the only model to accommodate the AF button functions. To activate these functions, the camera’s firmware must be updated to the latest version.

04-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
When the lenses were announced it was said you would need a K-3 for the new features to work.
I haven't seen this caveat, got any links?
04-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I haven't seen this caveat, got any links?
PENTAX - Ricoh Imaging Broadens Lens Line-up-Providing Photographers with Two New Options to Capture Outstanding Sports, Action and Landscape Photography..

I quoted above...
04-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter

** The PETANX K-3 is currently the only model to accommodate the AF button functions. To activate these functions, the camera’s firmware must be updated to the latest version.

I know K-3 has improved AF over K5iis, but thats not a reason to stop compatibility support with older AF modules...
04-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote

I know K-3 has improved AF over K5iis, but thats not a reason to stop compatibility support with older AF modules...
"... K-3 is currently the only model to accommodate the AF button functions."

If I read correctly, there still could be hope!

JP

04-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I doubt it, to be honest, even if it's just to encourage users to upgrade to the K-3 or one of the other newer bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, folks!

BTW ... I hope they (Pentax) fix their latest K3 firmware update too !