Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2015, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Does the Cactus V6 do it? This is from their product page:
passtru here means that you can put V6 between camera body and hot shoe mounted flash, and it won't obstruct communication between those two, acting like it isn't there, letting you use both on'board ttl flash and radio triggered external flashes in the same time. No cactus transfers ttl signal wirelessly.

04-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

@Steve.Ledger Can you still mount the flash unit to a light stand while the FlashQ receiver is connected?
Yes you can, and that's how I use it.
You can place the flash anywhere in the room or nearby outside..
04-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, went bit around and seems like that if you insist on p-ttl, your cheapest bet (if new is only option) is AF201 flash, which is small, tilts, stronger than pop-up and I remember members being blown on anouncement by it;s p-ttl compatibility at this price range. Truth to be said here, you might even won't be losing so much, since wireless triggering with pop-up is such a pita.Tried with both K-x and K-3, and it would fail to trigger way too often. External flash is MUCH stronger, giving you much more reliability.
04-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
The K-S2 definitely does not include Pentax's wireless flash control, an otherwise normal feature on this level of its camera lines (i.e., K-30/50).

The K-S line are aimed at first DSLR owners - the K-50 is still the low cost body for 'real photographers', whatever they are!

Forum members should buy the K-3 if they want the best APS-C camera the company makes. Prices are real good at the moment, too.

04-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The K-S line are aimed at first DSLR owners.
And should be priced accordingly, but the K-S2 is AUD$925 for the body.
04-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #21
Site Supporter

The K-S line are aimed at first DSLR owners - the K-50 is still the low cost body for 'real photographers', whatever they are!

Forum members should buy the K-3 if they want the best APS-C camera the company makes. Prices are real good at the moment, too.
Yes, the K-3 is the model to beat, by far. If you have K-s2 money, stretch a bit and get a K-3. But I'm still of the persuasion, that I've mentioned here previously, that the K-S2 is the K-50 follow-on. I think Adam agreed with this in his first impressions article. K-S2 has some particular new features that, I agree, are aimed at first DSLR owners, but it has little to do with the K-S1 other than in that respect -- both have some features targeting new users. K-S2 actually leap-frogged the K-50 in mid-range capability, except for the wireless flash disappearing. It has the K-3's mic port, and actually jumps the K-3 to have a stereo onboard mic rather than mono. Any way you look at it, it's an interesting bag of features.
04-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I just checked over at the Nikon store and it looks like they too only offer wireless flash control on their mid-level SLR bodies (unless you use an external flash or controller on the hotshoe). So Ricoh is taking a page out of the same book.

They're either trying to urge people to step up to the next level of camera body by removing this feature, or they think that people will spend money on additional Pentax flashes with built-in controllers. In practice, strobists will probably elect to spend their money instead on 3rd party lights and accessories. Really bad business decision, IMO.

Last edited by lightbox; 04-15-2015 at 06:54 PM.
04-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the K-3 is the model to beat, by far. If you have K-s2 money, stretch a bit and get a K-3. But I'm still of the persuasion, that I've mentioned here previously, that the K-S2 is the K-50 follow-on. I think Adam agreed with this in his first impressions article. K-S2 has some particular new features that, I agree, are aimed at first DSLR owners, but it has little to do with the K-S1 other than in that respect -- both have some features targeting new users. K-S2 actually leap-frogged the K-50 in mid-range capability, except for the wireless flash disappearing. It has the K-3's mic port, and actually jumps the K-3 to have a stereo onboard mic rather than mono. Any way you look at it, it's an interesting bag of features.
But Ricoh has stated several times the S series is not in the normal lineage. I still think a K50 replacement will come. The ks2 has a slower frame rate and smaller buffer which doesn't fit with a full out replacement product.

04-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really bad business decision, IMO.
Who would buy a K-3 if Pentax put all their goodies in the K-S2 ?? I agree it's a disappointment that the built-in flash can't be used as a controller, but possibly not so much for the intended market.

And similar things happened before. From the top of my head some features that disappeared in entry-level cameras:
  • Top display
  • WR
  • Cable release
Some of them came back again in later entry level models.
04-16-2015, 01:16 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Does the Cactus V6 do it?.
Not really.. it just passes thrugh but is not that the controller sends P-TTL info to the flash.. what V6 can do is to control remotely the power, if you have the Cactus RF-60 you can control the Zoom too. But for most flashes it will just control the trigger and power. No PTTL or HSS
04-16-2015, 04:01 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Who would buy a K-3 if Pentax put all their goodies in the K-S2 ?? I agree it's a disappointment that the built-in flash can't be used as a controller, but possibly not so much for the intended market.
That's Canikon thinking. Crippling the entry level bodies to create an artificial multilevel lineup.
Pentax entry level cameras have always (as long as I've followed the brand - since the K-x) been feature complete. I'm thinking of bracketing, pixel mapping, AF microadjust, wireless flash, high speed sync, dust removal etc.

And similar things happened before. From the top of my head some features that disappeared in entry-level cameras:
  • Top display
  • WR
  • Cable release
Some of them came back again in later entry level models.
Those features are related to parts and hardware. Ricoh saves on manufacturing by excluding them.

There's nothing saved by excluding firmware features. Well actually sometimes there is. You can often save time on testing by excluding firmware features. And if eg. the wireless flash hardware is buggy and you can't make it work, you can release on time anyway by excluding that feature from the firmware.

But we shouldn't be apologetic about feature crippling just becacuse Ricoh's now also doing it. Because feature crippling sucks.

Regards,
--Anders.
04-16-2015, 04:23 AM   #27
Site Supporter

• Top display
  • WR
  • Cable release
With minor exception for the cable release feature, it's my opinion that those things are nice-to-haves but are not crticial to photography. My pocket-sized Canon point & shoot has none of those, but it CAN trigger my flashes!

Off-camera flash is rather critical to getting a good result in a lot of cases. When my DSLR broke and I only had the point & shoot to work with, I was still able to take product photos of some things that I wanted to sell to help fund my K-50 because it was capable of triggering my flashguns wirelessly.
04-16-2015, 04:32 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

But I'm still of the persuasion, that I've mentioned here previously, that the K-S2 is the K-50 follow-on.
I respectfully disagree, Marktax and think we'll see a mid level APS-C replacement for the K-50.

That the K-S1/2 have advances on the K-30/50 is simply because they're newer cameras.

Note that the low end Nikons now match the K-3's sensor.
04-16-2015, 05:02 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
And should be priced accordingly, but the K-S2 is AUD$925 for the body.
Like phones, aspirational hipsters will pay big bucks for toys, Steve

The K-S2 is for them, the K-S1 for the ones without such deep pockets.
04-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #30
Site Supporter

I respectfully disagree, Marktax and think we'll see a mid level APS-C replacement for the K-50.
I don't mean to argue, and of course you could be right. If Pentax thinks there is still room in the middle for a new variation, a K-70 would be interesting to see. Part of my own impression is not just that the middle-ground feature set seems (to me) to be well covered, but also that the K-S2 returned to the "normal" K-50 form factor (normal grip, normal mode dial, etc.) To my thinking, K-S1 fell into a separate, experimental design camp over near the K-01 tent.