Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

K-S2 wireless flash mode

Hello Pentax-Community.

I own the new Pentax K-S2 for a few days, (first Pentax) and so far, i am really satisfied! Now i am trying to use my external Flash with the Camera, but i cant find the "W-Flash" Setting in the Camera.

I bet/hope i am just to blind to find it! I already watched some camera tutorials on youtube, and other Pentax cameras seem to have that setting. Anyone can help me?

Thank you
Jens

04-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know the S2 that well but perhaps you're in a exposure mode that doesn't support it? Try P or Tv mode perhaps.
04-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I don't know the S2 that well but perhaps you're in a exposure mode that doesn't support it? Try P or Tv mode perhaps.
Thank you for the Quick reply. Appearantly not. I've looked though all Modes.

All i find is -

Flash - Flash/red eye - Blub sync - bulb sync /red eye - 2nd Shutter - manual Flash

( i tried to translate this from my german menue, so the terms in the english menue might differ a little)
04-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out page 116 in the K-S2 manual. It talks about External Flash and what modes are supported.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-s2.pdf

04-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eminker Quote
Check out page 116 in the K-S2 manual. It talks about External Flash and what modes are supported.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-s2.pdf
This is interesting... it says

QuoteQuote:
Never press 1
on the camera when any external flash unit
is attached to the camera. The built-in flash will hit the
external flash. If you want to use both at once, connect them
using an extension cord.
in the german manual it says "if you want to use both, chose wireless mode OR use an extension cord."

I feel like there might be no build in WL mode? :-(

( i own a metz AF58-2 with minolta/sony shoe and want to use it at least as a manual slave flash)
04-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by n-light Quote
Thank you for the Quick reply. Appearantly not. I've looked though all Modes.

All i find is -

Flash - Flash/red eye - Blub sync - bulb sync /red eye - 2nd Shutter - manual Flash

( i tried to translate this from my german menue, so the terms in the english menue might differ a little)
What lens are you using? P-TTL doesn't work with some older lenses.
04-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the built in flash can trigger an external flash wirelessly. The manual doesn't have any directions for selecting the channel like the k50 does. Also the Ricoh website says this...
QuoteQuote:
Ks2
External Flash
Type: Hotshoe (P-TTL), Leading Curtain Sync, Trailing Curtain Sync, Contrast-control-sync, High
speed sync, wireless sync (available with 2 dedicated external flash)
Synchronization speed: 1/180 sec
Note the wording, two dedicated external flash...vs.

QuoteQuote:
K50
External Flash
Type: Hotshoe (P-TTL), high speed sync and wireless w PENTAX dedicated flash
Synchronization speed: 1/180 sec

Last edited by UncleVanya; 04-15-2015 at 01:50 PM.
04-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It seems that Pentax didn't included wireless flash control in the K-S2. Why they've done this is beyond me. But it's certainly a bad idea and a negative point of the K-S2. That said, you can find cheap P-TTL cable on ebay. Which are still useful to have even with bodies supporting wireless P-TTL...
04-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-S2 definitely does not include Pentax's wireless flash control, an otherwise normal feature on this level of its camera lines (i.e., K-30/50). Why they took a step backwards here, given the fairly recent upgrades of their two main flashes, AF540FGZ II and AF360FGZ II, to weather-resistance and other improvements -- is beyond my understanding.
04-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
The K-S2 definitely does not include Pentax's wireless flash control, an otherwise normal feature on this level of its camera lines (i.e., K-30/50). Why they took a step backwards here, given the fairly recent upgrades of their two main flashes, AF540FGZ II and AF360FGZ II, to weather-resistance and other improvements -- is beyond my understanding.
That's very disappointing. I've never actually used the wireless P-TTL (I like setting my lights manually) but its sad to see something that's always been there get taken out of an otherwise fantastic looking camera.
04-15-2015, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Wow... I almost bought one of these!

I consider off-camera flash a basic photography technique. Much more so than WiFi and flipscreens.

Last edited by lightbox; 04-15-2015 at 02:40 PM.
04-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you guys. I guess its like you said. First disappointment in the new camera... this does really not make sense to me. Well.. still have the possibility to send it back. Gotta think about that.

@enoeske i am using a 35mm f2.4 .. newer lens.

Good night everyone.
04-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
I consider off-camera flash a basic photography technique. Much more so than WiFi and flipscreens.
Agree with you. And for Pentax, having it supported in the body is way more important than Canikon since there's no third party remote trigger that support wireless TTL. This will not be so bad if some cheap P-TTL radio trigger was available for Pentax, like the one from Yongnuo for Canon or Nikon.
04-15-2015, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I bought a FlashQ system for $39. This gives you radio signal wireless flash with ANY flash unit.
Works very well.. (No TTL)
Products – LightPix Labs

04-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Agree with you. And for Pentax, having it supported in the body is way more important than Canikon since there's no third party remote trigger that support wireless TTL. This will not be so bad if some cheap P-TTL radio trigger was available for Pentax, like the one from Yongnuo for Canon or Nikon.
Does the Cactus V6 do it? This is from their product page:

QuoteQuote:
TTL Pass-through

The V6 transceiver comes with a multi-system shoe that supports TTL pass through. With TTL pass-through, the TTL flashes behave as they would when directly connected to the camera hot shoe.
I just switched to Pentax from Nikon myself and so I already have Nikon flashguns. Unfortunately one thing I lost in the transition is the CLS system for wireless control and TTL. However, the K-50 *does* at least trigger remote flashes in optical slave mode, so manual flash setting still works. That's really all I absolutely need, and for that, even the cheapest radio triggers work. However, this is such a simple thing to put into the camera as a feature... don't know why they left it out in the KS-2. Hopefully it gets added back in a firmware update.

@Steve.Ledger Can you still mount the flash unit to a light stand while the FlashQ receiver is connected? The video makes it seem as though it's intended for hand-holding the flash. I'd be tempted to say that you can just use a TTL cable for that, but it seems the FlashQ is even cheaper than the Pentax cable! That's crazy.