Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 new firmware update problem

I've just updated my K3 and have noticed the rear LCD turns on as soon as I touch the shutter release just to focus. I'm sure this didn't happen before the firmware update and think there could be an issue with the battery draining quicker if the LCD keeps turning itself on.
Can someone with the pre 1.20 firmware please check if their K3s rear LCD screen turns on if you just touch the shutter release button to focus the lens, the LCD just lightens slightly (nothing displayed) but it must be using power and is a bit distracting when you hold the camera to your eye and the LCD turns on.

04-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote
I've just updated my K3 and have noticed the rear LCD turns on as soon as I touch the shutter release just to focus. I'm sure this didn't happen before the firmware update and think there could be an issue with the battery draining quicker if the LCD keeps turning itself on.
Can someone with the pre 1.20 firmware please check if their K3s rear LCD screen turns on if you just touch the shutter release button to focus the lens, the LCD just lightens slightly (nothing displayed) but it must be using power and is a bit distracting when you hold the camera to your eye and the LCD turns on.
Someone else posted this in the comments on the homepage, so it sounds like it's a bug in the firmware update.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
so it sounds like it's a bug in the firmware update.
So, is it safe to say that recommendation on the update is a qualified "thumbs down"?

Steve
04-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So, is it safe to say that recommendation on the update is a qualified "thumbs down"?
Yes, seems to be confirmed by several (all?) of those who have upgraded. I'll wait.

04-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #5

Original Poster

Steve
Yep, definitely a thumbs down.

I've just gone back to 1.11 and everythings OK.
Not good by Pentax though releasing a firmware update with a bug, do they not test before they release. It took me about 10 seconds to notice the bug.
04-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have made this point in these fora before: Ricoh/Pentax does not seem to have a user test/validation program with new hardware or firmware. Within a couple of hours of the release of v1.20, multiple PF members have reported this bug. If it had gone out to a select group of beta-testers before hand, the issue could have been defused before hitting the public domain. Isn't that a more professional way of operating?
04-15-2015, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've updated our homepage post with a warning and e-mailed a Japanese Ricoh Imaging rep directly so that they're guaranteed to pick up on the issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Isn't that a more professional way of operating?
These sorts of things happen all the time in software development, unfortunately, but they certainly could have done a better job with something as obvious as this.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just had the same problem. SECOND problem - I tried to download v. 1.11 from Pentax/Ricoh, and it CHOKED - couldn't download it. Is there an alternate site so I can download it without problems?

John

Highly pissed off.

Update: here is an alternate v. 1.11 download source:

http://www.userdrivers.com/Digital-Camera/Pentax-K-3-Camera-Firmware-Update-1-11/download/

I'm immediately going back to 1.11. This really sucks.

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 04-15-2015 at 03:00 PM.
04-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Donīt be stressed,itīs a problemless little bug and no defective malfunction
Everything is fine,only the little light is on the wrong way :-)
Best regards
04-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote

Interesting...after the 1.20 update my k-3 LCD turns OFF when I touch the shutter to focus, just like my k-5's do.
If I missed something here pls kick me.

LCD comes on with power on.
LCD goes/stays off while touching the shutter
LCD goes off with Auto Power Off timer then back on if shutter touched and released.

Last edited by imtheguy; 04-15-2015 at 03:19 PM.
04-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Interesting...after the 1.20 update my k-3 LCD turns OFF when I touch the shutter to focus, just like my k-5's do.

LCD goes/stays off when touching the shutter
LCD goes off with Auto Power Off timer then back on if shutter touched and released.
With mine, at power on, the LCD is dormant. When I press the shutter button halfway to focus, it comes on - a very dull "blue screen." This uses power. NOT good.

Please pardon my previous outburst. I hate having to do things twice to leave me right where I was in the first place. Now I assume they'll do a fix on 1.20 - then I'll have to do it again. I'm keeping a copy of 1.11.exe on my hard drive just in case.

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 04-27-2015 at 11:32 AM.
04-15-2015, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've updated our homepage post with a warning and e-mailed a Japanese Ricoh Imaging rep directly so that they're guaranteed to pick up on the issue.

These sorts of things happen all the time in software development, unfortunately, but they certainly could have done a better job with something as obvious as this.
Yep. Happens all the time in software development.
We call them "Undocumented Features".

04-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I'm immediately going back to 1.11. This really sucks.
Good luck. I have never tried it, but it is my understanding that the process goes up only...no turning back to older versions.

Steve
04-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Good luck. I have never tried it, but it is my understanding that the process goes up only...no turning back to older versions.

Steve
Someone did it with success (reported in the firmware announcement thread).
04-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote

LCD goes/stays off while touching the shutter

I just upgraded my K3 as well it does the same thing as above and I believe this is what it was doing for the most part with 1.11

I got file off Ricoh Canada Support