Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fundraiser for Pentax tethering

Thought some folks here might be interested in this: a fundraising campaign to support Pentax tethering.

04-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frankly, this sounds like a futile effort. The K-S2 has tethering, and I wouldn't be surprised if all future modules had it out of the box too. We can all support Pentax by buying their cameras new

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #3
Marketplace Reseller

Funny that he is trying to raise 3500 for "a Pentax camera," when that is way more than any APS-C Pentax is making and way less than a 645z.
04-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Funny that he is trying to raise 3500 for "a Pentax camera," when that is way more than any APS-C Pentax is making and way less than a 645z.
Unless he's changed it, I think you read it wrong -- he has Pentax listed at 1500. The Sony button is 3500, which I'd guess might be to purchase a DSLR *and* a mirrorless model? Dunno. He could just buy previous model used ones for a lot less and they'd probably do the job

04-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
Marketplace Reseller

It has been changed then. When I took a look at it, both were listed as $3500.

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Unless he's changed it, I think you read it wrong -- he has Pentax listed at 1500. The Sony button is 3500, which I'd guess might be to purchase a DSLR *and* a mirrorless model? Dunno. He could just buy previous model used ones for a lot less and they'd probably do the job
07-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Frankly, this sounds like a futile effort. The K-S2 has tethering, and I wouldn't be surprised if all future modules had it out of the box too. We can all support Pentax by buying their cameras new
So where is my K3II's tethering? Not only is it not there, they took away my ability to use PKTether. From what I can tell buying their cameras new is causing them to move backwards.

Perhaps we should stop buying new cameras until they implement features we need.

Since K20, the only tethering we have been from third-party enthusiasts. I don't think any effort supporting them is futile at all. Without them we would've never had tethering.
07-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by evilcartman Quote
So where is my K3II's tethering? Not only is it not there, they took away my ability to use PKTether. From what I can tell buying their cameras new is causing them to move backwards.

Perhaps we should stop buying new cameras until they implement features we need.

Since K20, the only tethering we have been from third-party enthusiasts. I don't think any effort supporting them is futile at all. Without them we would've never had tethering.
The K-3 II isn't exactly a new camera. It's just the K-3 re-released with some niche additions while they work on a true replacement.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
Forum Member

You know what would have been a really great "niche addition"?
TETHERING!

Adam, how long is a sufficient and acceptable time for me to have wait for this feature? More importantly why is it that I have to wait at all. It's been around forever.

I'll be retired before they get around to it, in the meantime I look like some idiot rank amateur next to my Canikon peers, because I insisted sticking with a brand that I used to love.

The fact is that most professionals i.e. people that make money with their cameras cannot afford full frame. Really it's only those at the top of their field. Most guys I seen in my everyday work shoot things like Nikon D7200 or Canon 7D. And many of us do not want nor need FF. It's a fallacy to say that's the end-all be-all for every person that makes a living with a camera. It is a lucky pro indeed who can afford 5 to 10 grand in new gear every couple years. But at least those guys get access to all the other pro features let them have a professional workflow. That's because Canon and Nikon treat them like professionals and I'm tired of not being treated like a professional by Pentax.

But then again, I made a very unprofessional mistake, 12 years ago when I switched to digital. And I have been paying for it ever since.

Last year Mary came out and said how important tethering was and we're going to get right on it. She said every camera will have to have tethering, it's just that important. We haven't heard from her since April 2004

Photography is all about compromise. But PenRicoh is making us compromise in areas where we should not have to. And they are not helping themselves. They are never getting back a customer the leaves for Canon or Nikon or Sony. Even when full frame comes out no one's going to jump ship TO Pentax.

In the meantime DSLRs are losing market share to phones every day. By the way, I can tether my phone.

Adam your attitude on this issue is absurd. Is equivalent of saying let's continue to buy cars from "Deadly Motors" until they make the safety features that will keep us alive. When one votes with one's wallet, it's usually by walking away. If only I could afford to vote.

07-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
Marketplace Reseller

If a photographer can't afford to buy a FF camera, then they aren't likely making their living doing photography, so I'd call such folks more Semi-pro than Professional. For perspectove's sake, neither Canon nor Nikon will allow you in their professional service programs if all you own is their K3 level equivalents.

Pentax has exactly one Pro-level body, the 645z. And guess what? It has tethering. As doubtlessly will the FF.

---------- Post added 07-29-15 at 08:38 AM ----------

And oh, I don't see how you get 5 to 10 grand every two years when the FF body will run 2-2.5k,. It's not like you will have to replace all your lenses. Or even that you will have to replace your equipment with the latest and greatest each generation. Plenty of pros are happy shooting their 5 year old digitals today.what year did the K5 and 645z come out in again?
08-01-2015, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
]And oh, I don't see how you get 5 to 10 grand every two years when the FF body will run 2-2.5k,. It's not like you will have to replace all your lenses.
Well, if the body is 2.5k and you'd need 2 bodies, that would make 5k. Maybe he's going by the price of Canikon flagship bodies at ~5-6k a pop. And don't forget that there are professionals who do not own their gear but are employees of organizations that may not be so eager to upgrade regularly as photographers might. But at any rate, yeah, it's not as big a deal as he's making it out to be for someone who makes their entire living from cameras.

I agree that tethering would be nice. But I don't need to be able to import the raw file via USB3 the second I take the photo, automatically apply whatever presets I've done, and display the modified file to someone. I can totally understand that being something of enormous value in a studio setting. I was really impressed when I saw some video of it being done with a nikon. I played with it a bit with my old nikon, but I don't have a studio or do portrait stuff, so that's of limited use to me, but it certainly seems like a pretty important feature for a class of professional user, and one that would be absolutely *trivial* to support, and without needing any third party software, either.

What I find much more useful is using my EyeFi Pro with the ShutterSnitch app and a tablet (or even my phone) to see a much larger picture than my view screen offers. I cannot for the life of me understand why the FluCard can't do both the task it was built for AND the task of moving a JPG copy of a file to a tablet or smartphone so I can use ShutterSnitch with it. Most of the time, I don't need a fancy remote control for the camera, but being able to have something warning me if settings go outside my defined range (which seems to happen when the camera bumps against my leg while I'm walking and I end up at 1/8000 or 30s instead of 1/500 or whatever I was using) or if I'm getting blown out highlights that wouldn't have been noticeable on the small camera screen, or just being able to see in an instant if the photo is actually sharp or just looks sharp because it's 2.5 inches wide.