Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2008, 05:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
TC advice

I have read many of the TC threads but I would really like to know if there is a TC that works well with all lenses - Sigma, Tamron AND Pentax?

I have a 2x Sigma that is limited only to certain lenses in the Sigma range and certainly won't work with other brands. It has been illustrated in other threads that the limitation is the fact that the front element of the TC protrudes to the extent that it will interfere with the rear element of most lenses.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate the advice.

06-07-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, I'm no expert so all I can do is share my experience so far. I have the Kenko 1.5x MC and it works/fits just fine with all of my lenses (Pentax, Tamron & Sigma). The one thing I'm not thrilled with it is that it "feels" kind of cheap. The machine work on the front/rear mounts just seems rough. Putting it on is akin to fingernails on a chalkboard - however I have seen absolutely no evidence of any marring or scuffing at all; it just sounds/feels horrible.
It would appear to actually be pretty solidly built as I watched in horror several weeks ago as it tumbled 3ft to the floor after slipping out of my hands in a careless moment. Made a resounding thunk on the hardwood floor yet remained fully intact.

I'm on the hunt now though for the elusive Tamron 2x MC7. I've heard hearsay that the Kenko 2x MC7 has the same optics but as yet don't have any confirmation of that.
06-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I owned the tamron 1.4x and pentax 1.7x. Recently I picked up the kenko 1.5x teleplus mc. It works well with all my lenses and i don't have the finish problem mentioned in the previous post. The tamron 1.4x and kenko 1.5x are about on par in IQ and (in my experience) are slightly sharper than the pentax 1.7x. When using any tc, the sharper the lens, the sharper the iq with a tc.

pic shot with tokina and 1.5x:

"Young Bird" Wall Art by Michael Wolf - RedBubble

Last edited by ivoire; 06-07-2008 at 07:28 AM.
06-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlaw Quote
I have a 2x Sigma that is limited only to certain lenses in the Sigma range and certainly won't work with other brands.

That isn't 100% true. The Sigma "can" work with other brand lenses but you have to make 100% sure the elements won't touch. I know that can be hard to do so you may not want to take the chance. I've used the Sigma 2x with my Tokina 400mm f/5.6 without problems (other then IQ and ect).

I think one way to make sure is to measure the clearance of a lens that you know works then measure the clearance of the questionable lens. Make sure you measure through the the entire zoom range (if a zoom) AND throughout the focus range (in some lenses changing the focus moves the rear element). Anyone every try this?

John

06-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #5

I have a Kenko 1.5 also. It works fine on all my lenses - but certainly adds LOTS of PF/CA in certain situations. I am not convinced that I get much extra detail and that a cropped image without it would in most circumstances be better.

The jury is still out but I will continue to experiment until I am convinced one way or the other.
06-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Palmor - good thought re measuring clearance, but it might be a little shocking for the camera store guy if I ask to look at a new lens and then shove a ruler up the back end of it

Sounds like Kenko make good and bad so it would be nice to check the machined finish before buying. Will have to look more closely for Kenko product - haven't seen any here so far.

Thanks again.
06-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlaw Quote
I have read many of the TC threads but I would really like to know if there is a TC that works well with all lenses - Sigma, Tamron AND Pentax?

I have a 2x Sigma that is limited only to certain lenses in the Sigma range and certainly won't work with other brands. It has been illustrated in other threads that the limitation is the fact that the front element of the TC protrudes to the extent that it will interfere with the rear element of most lenses.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate the advice.

in your country on ebay:

GENUINE PENTAX SMC AF ADAPTOR 1.7X CONVERTER PERFECT - eBay (item 220241854143 end time Jun-10-08 03:30:00 PDT)
06-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

think Kenko or Soligor TC's are your best bet...