Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 05:05 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zeds Quote
sorry.. I can't see a picture..,
They're thankfully not embedded (the first two are 14MB full sized jpeg files). Did you try clicking on the links?

04-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zeds Quote
sorry.. I can't see a picture..,

You might have a browser setting prohibiting it. Works on mine. (That's what they all say)
04-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Sorry, but shots look sharpened. You can see some relatively strong halos. I'd be interested in how it looks without any sharpening applied... how much detail is there really. Still, it looks good, can't deny that. Not sure if I _need_ it, but I would certainly make use of it once in a while, IF I can combine it with bracketing. If not, I'll take bracketing over this any day... the kind of shoots where I could use this I need significantly more dynamic range than just 14 EV or so.
04-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Sorry, but shots look sharpened. You can see some relatively strong halos.
Which photo are you referring to? I don't see halos in either of the pixel-shifted examples (#1, temple roofs and #2, flies and watch).

Steve

04-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Sorry, but shots look sharpened. You can see some relatively strong halos. I'd be interested in how it looks without any sharpening applied... how much detail is there really. Still, it looks good, can't deny that. Not sure if I _need_ it, but I would certainly make use of it once in a while, IF I can combine it with bracketing. If not, I'll take bracketing over this any day... the kind of shoots where I could use this I need significantly more dynamic range than just 14 EV or so.
I don't see any halos or other artifacts that would indicate oversharpening. I like what I see. Might be enough to move me from my K-5.
04-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Which photo are you referring to? I don't see halos in either of the pixel-shifted examples (#1, temple roofs and #2, flies and watch)
QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
I don't see any halos or other artifacts that would indicate oversharpening. I like what I see. Might be enough to move me from my K-5.
If you look closely around the edges of the bricks in the building scene and around the numbers on the watch face of the fishing hook scene, you'll definitely find classic sharpening halo's. Granted... you'll need to look closely, even magnified on the watch face, though it remains that they are definitely there nonetheless.
And while there's no denying this would never bother anyone where perceptual image viewing/printing are concerned. It goes without saying that this would present issues in where large image printing and upsizing are concerned. As these would inevitably get magnified along with the image.

PS. this is why I've come to love plugins such as Focal Blade, as it is one of the few tools that can sharpen an images with advanced features such as peak and halo controls.

-

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-25-2015 at 08:23 PM.
04-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #67
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Granted... you'll need to look closely, even magnified on the watch face, though it remains that they are definitely there nonetheless.
Hmmmm...I did do a close examination of both the watch face and the brick edges and also the transitions to the OOF areas and saw no artifact. I don't generally use magnification since the accuracy is dependent on the tool. Any halo would only be a few pixels wide. Still though, that would indicate a characteristic of the in-camera RAW converter. A TIFF generated with a capable converter with no sharpening would be a better indicator. May I ask if similar artifact is present on the non-pixel shift images?

Steve
04-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you look closely around the edges of the bricks in the building scene and around the numbers on the watch face of the fishing hook scene, you'll definitely find classic sharpening halo's.
They are just (a) JPEGs and (b) produced in camera. Cut them some slack.

The image notes show those JPEGs have all been processed by the in-camera RAW converter [Processing software: K-3 II Ver.1.00(in-body RAW data development)] and had a Custom Image tone applied ['Vibrant', 'Bright', 'Portrait' etc], with some sharpness settings applied either specifically ['Sharpness: 1', or 'Fine Sharpness' ON or OFF], or with whatever sharpness algorithm is used in the JPEG quality settings employed by the camera's 'Super Fine' JPEG setting.

So some of those 'halos' people are seeing may be JPEG compression at work, not image sharpening.

Maybe one day Ricoh will make available the RAW's of those sample scenes, so people can process them without certain levels of JPEG compression and sharpening being baked into them.

Last edited by rawr; 04-25-2015 at 09:56 PM.
04-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Hmmmm...I did do a close examination of both the watch face and the brick edges and also the transitions to the OOF areas and saw no artifact...
04-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #70
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scobra Quote
Im hoping the next feature they incorporate is in-camera anti-ghosting. There seems to be unlimited room for software advances. For those who dont yet have the K3II, you could try this method A Practical Guide to Creating Superresolution Photos with Photoshop
I did that. I did a write up of it with images with and without SR.

It works quite well, but has some limitations. It takes about one hour of PS work per final image. The extra camera time is negligible.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/289384-super-re...ml#post3172702
04-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #71
Site Supporter

photos of halo
Thanks...that is about two pixels. Is the same thing present in the non-SR images?

Steve
04-25-2015, 10:27 PM   #72
Pentaxian

That 'halo' along the edges also looks a lot like what I see when CA/fringing is removed from an image by Lightroom, as you adjust the fringing width ...

Once again, JPEG processing options possibly at work.
04-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #73
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Once again, JPEG processing options possibly at work.
I agree, I get the same from JPEGs out of my K3.

So not related to Pixel Shifting or any post processing trickery.
04-25-2015, 10:40 PM   #74
Site Supporter

Is the same thing present in the non-SR images?
Answered my own question:

From the flower photo 400% magnification. I would suggest that the artifact is not evidence of any attempt to overstate the capabilities of the PS system. Bring on the TIFFs

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-26-2015 at 07:38 AM.
04-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Bring on the TIFFs
Better: bring on the DNG's.